JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    4th Gear

Status

Boot space compared to 8p?

Was in Audi today and had a look round a new A3 sportback. Lovely car but when I opened the boot it seemed like there wasn't as much space as the 8p?
    I'm sure iv read u can adjust this somewhere but I lifted the floor but it looked like it was down as far as it can go?
    Can anyone clarify this?
    Cheers
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

2. # ADS
    ADS

Third Gear

Status
    I still have my boot mat from my 8P S3 it is a much tighter fit, so I would say the boot is very slighty smaller. The level of the base is adjustable, ie can be raised or lowered.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

The boot space on the new 8P A3 Sportback is 720mm front the rear boot lip to the back of the rear seats. On my current 8P A3 Sportback it is 770mm so the new one is 50mm shorter.

I took particular attention to this as I sometimes have to use a mobility scooter and whilst it will just fit in my 8P I don't think it will fir in the 8V. This is the reason I may need to have a look at the Golf Estate.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Born to Fish

Status
    I tried my dog crate in the 8V before I ordered and it just fits with very little clearance on the parcel shelf above and a tad tighter front to back. This same crate fits my 8P with a little room front to back and enough room to the parcel shelf to accommodate coats and things on top of the crate.

PS We don't fasten him away whilst driving we drop the 60% of the back seat down so he can see us and we can see him. He's a Cairn Terrier and the crate allows him to lie on his side (just) so could not go any smaller.

PS1 If the crate had not fitted I would not have ordered. Gotta take the woof woof on our travels.

PS2 They were both 3 doors not Sportbacks as I think they are a bit Vauxhall Astra ish !!!!!!! Whoops, bet that upsets some !!!!!!
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

4th Gear

Status
    Thanks for ur replies
    It looked a lot more than 50mm higher than mine.
    The mrs picked up on it, which in turn put her off and started looking at a q3.
    Personally I like the new a3 but looking for something the same size boot or slightly bigger.
    Was wanting to compare the boot on the saloon as well but they didn't have one at highland audi

4th Gear

Status
    P.s the hound goes everywhere with us also but it's only a cocker spaniel so not too big

5th Gear

Status
    Can confirm the 8V SB boot is nearly two inches shorter as I have a set of suitcases that fitted snuggly into my 8p SB and now no longer fit the same way. But, although the boot is smaller the luggage space when rear seats are folded down is bigger apparently, will find out next weekend when I ship my daughter back to university.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFSI View Post
    PS2 They were both 3 doors not Sportbacks as I think they are a bit Vauxhall Astra ish !!!!!!! Whoops, bet that upsets some !!!!!!
    I thought I would do a totally unbiased comparison of Astra and Sport back to see if you are right about the Astra looking similar :

I think there is a slight difference and I personally think Sportback looks slightly better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fragup; 8th September 2013 at 07:37.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragup View Post
    I thought I would do a totally unbiased comparison of Astra and Sport back to see if you are right about the Astra looking similar :

I think there is a slight difference and I personally think Sportback looks slightly better.
    Sorry, I just noticed the Astra has a sunroof so in fairness to the A3 so as to keep it all fair and unbiased :
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragup View Post

My statement should have read the SB is a family orientated car with the 5 door layout which when my daughters were young is what I would have chosen, Now with me, the missus and a Cairn the 3 door suits our needs perfectly as well as looking a bit sportier.

It's be hopes the new A3 does look better than a 20 year old Astra as shown in your pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFSI View Post
    My statement should have read the SB is a family orientated car with the 5 door layout which when my daughters were young is what I would have chosen, Now with me, the missus and a Cairn the 3 door suits our needs perfectly as well as looking a bit sportier.

It's be hopes the new A3 does look better than a 20 year old Astra as shown in your pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats why was tongue in cheek.

You must have expected a bit of ribbing,
    I actually like the shape of the new vauxall Astra (build quality and reliability on vauxhalls is rubbish even compared to equivalent priced cars so would never buy one, but have used to work / hire cars etc so know them fairly well that's why I think there rubbish)
    But it is still quite a different shape though !
    Last edited by Fragup; 8th September 2013 at 10:41.

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieWebs View Post
    Was in Audi today and had a look round a new A3 sportback. Lovely car but when I opened the boot it seemed like there wasn't as much space as the 8p?
    I'm sure iv read u can adjust this somewhere but I lifted the floor but it looked like it was down as far as it can go?
    Can anyone clarify this?
    Cheers
    Hi, if it was a A3 quattro version in the showroom, the boot floor cannot be lowered. Whereas the normal front wheel drive version can have it's boot lowered.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI-line View Post
    Hi, if it was a A3 quattro version in the showroom, the boot floor cannot be lowered. Whereas the normal front wheel drive version can have it's boot lowered.
    good point that's what I saw in December last year stopped me from getting the B&O!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

5th Gear

Status
    I am actually really liking the raised boot floor as the void below is great for hiding away things like emergency kit, first aid bag, oil, and cleaning cloths lotions and potions
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow StefRobinson On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    I am actually really liking the raised boot floor as the void below is great for hiding away things like emergency kit, first aid bag, oil, and cleaning cloths lotions and potions
    I'd been thinking the same. Mine is raised up, and I've put the first aid kit, oil and storage nets underneath out of the way! I don't put a lot of things in the boot anyway, so it's better for me being high up. Just need to get my golf clubs in really