Petrol 1.4 122 & 140 C.O.D. & Diesel 1.6 105 & 2.0 150 MPG/Cost

Fragup

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people praising all there engines recently, but a few things have cropped more often than not.
Petrol 1.4 122 and 140 C.O.D seam to be getting better mpg than expected and Diesel 2.0 150 slightly less than some had hoped.
so thought I would revisit the MPG debate (or cost as this is what really matters)
i based it on these as seam to be the choices of economy v performance balance rather than all or nothing.
i am not bashing any engine as are all great engines and would be more than happy with any of them but the numbers I read when first started looking seam to be a bit off the reality

I am using honest john's 'real' figures and backed up by some off this site.

1.4 Ltr. TFSI 122ps = 44.3 MPG
1.4 Ltr. C.O.D. TFSI 140ps = 46.0 MPG
1.6 Ltr Diesel 105ps. = 54.3 MPG
2.0 Ltr. Diesel 150ps = 52.2 MPG

average unleaded £1.35 / Ltr = £6.10 gallon
average diesel £1.40 / Ltr = £6.30 gallon

The average 'working' person does 15,000 miles per year (is about what I do so will go with that)
Keeping car for 3 years (45000 total miles)
cost of fuel over 45000 miles
1.4 Ltr. TFSI 122ps = £6191
1.4 Ltr. C.O.D. TFSI 140ps = £5966 Costs £ 850 more than 1.4 122 to buy
1.6 Ltr Diesel 105ps. = £5220 Costs £ 950 more than 1.4 122 to buy
2.0 Ltr. Diesel 150ps = £5430 Costs £ 2300 more then 1.4 122 to buy

so a lot less of a saving on diesel than I would have expected. I know there are residual values to take into account

Feel free to add, change, correct (might need to as did on iPad and watching football) but I feel this is a more realistic costing than some of the earlier ones I saw now we have had more feed back on mpgs

all a bit sad I know but someone might like it :blink:

Last edited:
Reactions: Karl Alesbury, coolguy, Daveotto and 1 other person
I'm in the 2.0 litre tdi 150. Averaging 55/56 mpg with non Devon and Cornwall trips averaging in the high fifties/early sixties. Very happy with that as I don't hang about at all and keep the car in dynamic. The car's just over four months old and has 10k on it and keeps getting looser with better fuel economy.

Given that I'm paid 15p for each mile I drive I'm VERY happy with the fuel ecomony.

Isn't England winning 4-0 enough entertainment for you Fragup lol ;-) Seriously though great breakdown of costs & reinforces our preferred option...the COD..still 7 weeks to wait :-(

Reactions: Fragup and SportbackStu
Makes for interesting reading, especially as the football is getting a bit pedestrian.

Slightly different take from me. I moved from 1.4tfsi to 150bhp 2.0tdi and as I wanted the extra power and torque, and like debs will keep it in dynamic, except when crawling around London rush hour traffic, and drive round with a permanent grin on my face.

Only had the car a week but already seeing 7mpg better mpg on my commute to work, and driving it on the legal limit, so if this equates to a few hundred pounds saving per year that is just an added bonus

I love the 2 ltr 150 diesel, am hoping the C.O.D. Is as good, am pretty hopefully after all I have read.
was cost only excluding performance otherwise is a whole different thread or ten ! :footy:

I'm in the 2.0 litre tdi 150. Averaging 55/56 mpg with non Devon and Cornwall trips averaging in the high fifties/early sixties. Very happy with that as I don't hang about at all and keep the car in dynamic. The car's just over four months old and has 10k on it and keeps getting looser with better fuel economy.

Given that I'm paid 15p for each mile I drive I'm VERY happy with the fuel ecomony.

I am starting to get the impression that the diesels take a little bit more running in than the petrols as the improvement in mpg seams to be more noticeable given time ? May be just the comments I have read, might be wrong. 2.2 ltr diesel civic I had took a little bit of running in.

50mpg today in my car with 200 miles on it... Bodes well! Wasn't hanging about either...

Talking of drive modes... Haven't really noticed that much difference between auto and dynamic when you stick your foot down - maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but does auto just switch to an equivalent of dynamic mode when you want to go faster?

Talking of drive modes... Haven't really noticed that much difference between auto and dynamic when you stick your foot down - maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but does auto just switch to an equivalent of dynamic mode when you want to go faster?

i would have thought so, conversely if you are crawling around town or stuck in traffic doing 5-10mph it should put you in efficiency or comfort mode no point giving a highly responsive throttle setting to move 50 yards up the road unless of course you are used to driving a BMW.

When we test drove the COD, the salesman (who seemed to know his stuff) recommended that we shouldn't pay too much attention the the fuel economy, as it was still a new car and the figures should be somewhat disappointing from the get-go and improve significantly throughout the breaking in process. We drove the 2.0 TDI and 1.4 TFSI COD, but several weeks apart. My feeling with the TDI is that it was incredibly capable but felt a little uninspired (no offense meant to any of you here enjoying your lovely new A3 TDIs of course...I have long been a diesel fan but never been able to commit when the time came). Did some research and ran some numbers later and decided that the COD was worth checking out...car is mostly just for fun and we don't do that many miles. Started with a bit of a prejudice against it but was completely amazed by the performance of that tiny little engine. I used to have a MKV GTI with the 2.0 TFSI and I would swear the COD gave it a run for the money. So, we have ordered one...hope first impressions were accurate! :) It truly is an amazing combination of performance and economy, and incredibly refined for something so small.

I could not feel any turbo lag at all. Anyone else.

/long

GS

Reactions: Fragup
No offence taken, overall there is very little difference between the 2 engines, I would have considered the CoD more closely if it was available when I ordered but would have still gone for the 2.0TDI as it gives more torque when fully loaded at motorway speeds which was the important deciding factor for me.

the fact that we can have this type of discussion is testament to how Audi/VW have moved both technologies on, long gone are the days of diesel=economy and petrol=performance.

I agree, it was what surprised me a bit doing the costing that the old stereo types of big diesel v smaller petrol are pretty much gone.
there is not a lot between any of the engines cost of running wise, or any thing else really, so comes down buying cost and personal preference. I wanted quickest (budget allowing) so went for C.O.D. and car will mostly only have 1 or 2 people in and don't do towing / heavy loads or lots of passengers so don't need the higher torque, I like diesels and 2 ltr. 150 is a really good engine, but for my use couldn't justify the extra £1450 buying cost to a C.O.D. and if it was a closer price would have been a tough decision.
Looking at the value for money I think the 1.4 122 TFSI seams the best bargain of the lot unless your doing high mileage.
I think Audi have cracked the A3 line up and do a really good option for most types of buyers.
i think quite a few buyers will discount buying some diesels / petrols on preconceptions, which is a shame.
i wouldn't have thought I would buy 1.4 petrol ! As 15 years ago this would have meant a crappy, slow budget car.

Reactions: Daveotto