How many kilometers to "run in" the new engine

Tom75

Reaction score
Hi all,

just wanted to ask you guys how many kilometers you are driving your new engines nice and slowly?

Regards,
Tom

I wont be running the engine in nice and slowly, I just wont thrash it in the first 1000km. For my new car when it gets here that means no launch control test for the first 1000km and no changing gears at the red line.

Nice link Fragup, kind of my plan for any new car. And as soon as that first 1000 is out of the way I plan to find out what launch control is like on the next car.

I guess how you look after the engine at the start also depends on if you want to keep the car for 10 years

Last edited:
Thanks,

I also heard that basically you don't need to be especially careful, just to drive normally without any extreme things like very high revs etc

Regards,
Tom

The user manual says 1000km without going over 2/3 revs etc. Then for the next 500km to gradually increase to full.

Running in isn't so important with a modern engine, but just be sensible with it for 1000/1500km and you'll be fine. I've put my foot down a couple of times but am generally being gentle and haven't been to the red line (or even near it). I'm also not going to be towing anything for the first 1000 miles! I've kept away from Dynamic mode too, and just been in Auto all the time. Modern engines are built to far higher tolerances and precision that older engines though.

I wont be running the engine in nice and slowly, I just wont thrash it in the first 1000km. For my new car when it gets here that means no launch control test for the first 1000km and no changing gears at the red line.

Nice link Fragup, kind of my plan for any new car. And as soon as that first 1000 is out of the way I plan to find out what launch control is like on the next car.

I guess how you look after the engine at the start also depends on if you want to keep the car for 10 years

I've just started to use launch control on my s3, all I can say is wow! It's rather addictive. There is a small road near me going straight on to a busy dual carriage way, no more waiting for ages for a large gap ;)

Reactions: Cumbrian_bob
It's worth moving the engine through it's whole rev range throughout it's 'running in' phase, as you want the piston rings etc to bed in properly. As someone has previously mentioned, don't do full-throttle redline up shifts if you're S-tonic (same for manual, no flat shifts) and just generally don't put the engine under lots of strain (heavy throttle usage at very low revs etc). But from what I've heard from engineer mates, feel free to use the rev range (especially when running on deliciously refined UK fuel), just don't be aggressive with it (there is a difference!)

Reactions: Tom75
You normally increase the rev range that you use slowly throughout the running in period

Reactions: Tom75