AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow StefRobinson On Twitter

Smile New Car 'Running in'

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, first post etc..

I was just wondering roughly how long would a car normally take for the engine to start to 'run in' and loosen up?

Picked up my brand new A3 Sportback 1.6TDI SLine Stronic in Daytona Grey yesterday!

At the moment, the engine does feel slightly tight, which is obviously to be expected as it only has 30 miles on the clock!

Am I right to assume that I will start to see an increase in MPG over time, when the engine hasn't literally just left the showroom?

I've read a few interesting threads here around MPG and the Audi Drive Select. This morning's run to work (18 miles), I managed to get 53mpg with the ADS in Efficiency, and I was driving it like I was scared to use the accelerator!! I did expect a little more to be honest, but it's better than the old car!

I think I'm going to pop the ADS into Auto instead of Efficiency, as I think a few people have commented that it's a better drive and throttle response, and some have actually achieved better MPG in Auto. The Efficiency mode does seem rather a dull drive in terms of having the press the accelerator quite hard to actually move at all.

I'm just interested in everyone thoughts and experiences

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I think Auto is the 'default' as it were (or 'normal'), but I haven't actually tried any of the other modes (other than dynamic briefly). What does comfort do? Is it half way between eco and auto?

The mpg should go up over time I think, as well as the performance.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    There is a section in the manual on running in.

In summary:
    For the first 1000km (600 miles) don't go over 2/3 max revs. Don't use full throttle, and don't tow anything.
    For the next 500km (300 miles) gradually increase the revs and throttle you use.