Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daveotto

Thread: Start stop disable

Neutral

Status

Start stop disable

On the new 8v a3 can start stop be permanently disabled .. Is there a setting on the mmi ?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Afraid not as this would affect the over-all emissions and therefore your tax bracket. It may be possible through VCDS, but I'm not sure anyone on here has tried.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    There are options within vcds for SS, but whether they will be available for your chassis is another question, it will need logging into & researching.

I managed to do this on an 8P without any issues arising from.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisinns17 View Post
    On the new 8v a3 can start stop be permanently disabled .. Is there a setting on the mmi ?
    When driving home tonight, I overrode the start stop by the button above the air conditioning unit, also switched off HHA. Car did not switch off when I stopped in Heavy traffic. The car was warm after 15miles of driving. Maybe I had foot brake pressed? oes this mean I have a faulty car?

So my car does override stop/start.....will confirm tomorrow, just in case I was dreaming as was playing with the sat nav!
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3sportbackMark View Post
    When driving home tonight, I overrode the start stop by the button above the air conditioning unit, also switched off HHA. Car did not switch off when I stopped in Heavy traffic. The car was warm after 15miles of driving. Maybe I had foot brake pressed? oes this mean I have a faulty car?

So my car does override stop/start.....will confirm tomorrow, just in case I was dreaming as was playing with the sat nav!
    Slightly confused... It didn't turn off in heavy traffic presumably because you said you had disabled it by pressing the button on the dash?

And yes, you can override start/stop with that button, but only for each journey. The system enables itself each to time you start the ignition.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes the button disables for that drive, but all the time without the need for the button presses, may require coding.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    Slightly confused... It didn't turn off in heavy traffic presumably because you said you had disabled it by pressing the button on the dash?

And yes, you can override start/stop with that button, but only for each journey. The system enables itself each to time you start the ignition.
    On the 1st point, yes, i also disabled HHA. I was surprised that the engine didn't stop. Will confirm when I next get in the car.

Wasnt aware of your second point, thanks for that.
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3sportbackMark View Post
    On the 1st point, yes, i also disabled HHA. I was surprised that the engine didn't stop. Will confirm when I next get in the car.

Wasnt aware of your second point, thanks for that.
    mark, HHA does not control the engine only the braking system, so as you describe HHA off and start/stop disabled will result in the engine staying on when you stop and go into neutral, just like an old fashioned car!
    Faizel likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    mark, HHA does not control the engine only the braking system, so as you describe HHA off and start/stop disabled will result in the engine staying on when you stop and go into neutral, just like an old fashioned car!
    Thanks Dave, I was playing with both options, just curious if I could disable start/stop to remind myself of old fashioned driving, won't be doing that again in a hurry! I'm sooo impressed with the Audi.

Just looked at the manual, you are quite right.

6th Gear

Status
    This is another reason I will never have an automatic car. At least with a manual the start/stop never engages unless you want it to. With an auto or automated manual, you're at the mercy of the gearbox/computer.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    This is another reason I will never have an automatic car. At least with a manual the start/stop never engages unless you want it to. With an auto or automated manual, you're at the mercy of the gearbox/computer.
    It is possible to drive an A3 with start/stop and an s-tronic gearbox without the system cutting the engine when you stop. I do it all the time. It requires releasing the pressure on the brake pedal just before you stop, which you should be doing anyway so that the car does stop with a jerk and then applying just enough pressure to the brake pedal to stop the car 'creeping'. If you want the system to work, just press a bit harder and the engine cuts out. Release the pressure and the engine starts. It just takes a little practice like a lot of things in driving.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3