• 1 Post By JohnnyM100
  • 1 Post By Fiddie
  • 1 Post By ChrisGTL

Thread: first oil change

1st Gear

Status

first oil change

hi,

At what mileage are you going to do your first oil change? or when did your dealer say to come in to do it?

My dealer told me at 5000kms (3106.856 miles) but i find this is a bit soon considering the intervals in the maintenance handbook.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the feedback.

Engine is 1.8tfsi btw

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Around 18,000 mies if my previous Audis are anything to go by. Mine's on variable servicing BTW.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    I thought the A3 would tell you when its due a change.

My current and last Audis have both had the onboard computer to let me know. It does have to be set for the type of service, but I was told it also works out a little based on type of journeys.

Hopefully there is a setting in the mmi to tell you.

6th Gear

Status
    There is I think
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian_bob View Post
    I thought the A3 would tell you when its due a change.

yea it does, but the dealer told me to come in at 5000kms plus it is possible they set up the car to give me the reminder at 5000kms as well, I will check and see what it says ( if that is even possible).

5th Gear

Status
    Dealer told me it doesn't need an oil change until 18,000 miles. I'm slightly skeptical as that seems a LOT of miles to do without an oil change.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    I also think the same as mjcourtney.

I would be quite interested to see/test a used sample of engine oil that has done 15,000 to 18,000 Miles. If someone wants to send me a 100ml sample from their sump or pulled up through their dipstick then I will get it tested and report back the state of the used oil.

1st Gear

Status
    Incidentally, I've done 400 miles already, and oil levels are normal - No "running-in" issues.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    Dealer told me it doesn't need an oil change until 18,000 miles. I'm slightly skeptical as that seems a LOT of miles to do without an oil change.
    The car is supposed to monitor the engine oil, not sure what the sensors look for, might just be some sort of light/particulate sensor, anyway I agree 18,000 miles seems high but I am sure if you are heavy footed or do a lot of driving in heavy traffic the oil change light will come on much earlier.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Reverse Gear

Status
    The distance to next oil change should be visible in the MMI system. There is a service interval menu showing distance to oil change and service change however the oil change distance is only present after some amount of km/miles has been driven. The dealer informed me that the distance to next oil change is dynamically calculated depending on how you drive. What parameters is used for this calculation I have no idea about. Last time I checked mine the distance to next oil change was 19400km, having driven 600km

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by karlabdool View Post
    hi,

At what mileage are you going to do your first oil change? or when did your dealer say to come in to do it?

My dealer told me at 5000kms (3106.856 miles) but i find this is a bit soon considering the intervals in the maintenance handbook.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the feedback.

Engine is 1.8tfsi btw
    If I may interfere in this discussion, your dealer is correct!
    FIRST oil change should be done at 5000km because inside the engine there might be some debris/waste from the production and assembly being potentially harmful for the engine itself.
    Let me clear that the production waste is dimensionally very small, in orders of mm. You can check this on the "internal" part of the magnetic seal cap of the oil tank.

Hope this helps

1st Gear

Status
    The mmi says 10k or 1 year, so god knows who is right

5th Gear

Status
    I'd never leave 18000 miles between a service , max I'd wait is until 12000 just my preference.

Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

Neutral

Status
    I've just had my first oil change and that's at 9000 miles also had recall work done on the windows which entailed to be greased up on the rubbers and also had an update done which is for enhancements whatever it enhances I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    Using the Audi long life service with the synthetic long life oil the car should easily do 18,000 miles before needing an oil change. The days of needing more frequent oil changes belong to the days before the modern synthetic oil developed between the oil companies and the manufacturers. I can remember when all cars need an oil change every 3,000 miles!!

I have owned 8 Audi A3 and the have all be set to the long life service and each one has had a service and oil change when the car has indicated at around 19,000 miles and none of them have given the slightest problem. Each one has done in the region of 40,000 miles when I have either sold or traded-in so I have paid for two services/oil changes per car.

We all seem to accept the technology that gives use better, safer cars that give much better mpg than 10-20 years ago but seem to have a mental block about changing the oil. If the manufacturer is happy with one service at 10k if you do only that or less per year or the long life system which will give around 18 to 19k and are prepared to warranty the car for three years who are we to say we know better. Unless of course you have money to throw away.
    Daveotto likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

4th Gear

Status
    H5djr, very well put, plus the fact the engine has oil sensors as well so if you are heavy footed or their are residual contaminants the sensors should flag an earlier oil change.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I have owned 8 Audi A3 and the have all be set to the long life service and each one has had a service and oil change when the car has indicated at around 19,000 miles and none of them have given the slightest problem. Each one has done in the region of 40,000 miles when I have either sold or traded-in so I have paid for two services/oil changes per car.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but given that you have had 8 A3 and sell at around 40k miles then that's still in the zone before problems manifest - you leave that to the subsequent owner of your cars and that is entirely your choice given how long you keep your cars and that they work whilst you own them.

AVS ~19k services are designed for fleet buyers to keep maintenance costs down. They are not designed for engine longevity even if oils have improved.

AVS works for you but may not be the best for everyone. My current A3 (not 8V) is on 108k and still going and not on AVS. My 8V will not be on AVS either as I plan to keep it longer than 40k so giving the engine the best protection.
    s33nyboy12 likes this.
    Enjoying my 8V

Neutral

Status
    My MMi says that the next oil change (which will be the first) is needed in 23.000km. I think I will anyway take the first one at around 5.000km.

Regards,
    tom

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Alesbury View Post
    Incidentally, I've done 400 miles already, and oil levels are normal - No "running-in" issues.
    I've just hit 8,000 miles and my low oil light has come on!!!

Neutral

Status
    My dealer told me they set the computer on the car to tell you when to service it depending on which service schedule you're on. I thought doing mainly motorway miles meant 18000 mile intervals, but they said buying the 3 services upfront meant I'd use the 9000 mile interval. When I asked how the car knew he said they programme it.
    A3 Sport 2.0TDI 184PS

1st Gear

Status
    What does level on the stick look like ?

Neutral

Status
    Is it the low oil light or a service indicator?
    A3 Sport 2.0TDI 184PS

1st Gear

Status
    Strangely enough my s3 has done 8k and is saying it needs a oil change in 800 miles.
    My oil light came on two weeks ago and dipstick showed half full

1st Gear

Status
    What does level on the stick look like ?
    This

going to put some on today but I'm ringing Audi to see what they say - I drove a diesel car for 5 years and never had this..

6th Gear

Status
    I see no harm in doing an early oil change on a high performance car. I also check levels regularly now I have a proper dipstick again!
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

Neutral

Status
    I'll change it between 3000-5000kms.

I think it's important because it could be some metal impurities.
    PilotAudi likes this.

1st Gear

Status

Reverse Gear

Status
    I am very familiar with these specifications. It is a Lubrizol formulation by the looks of it.

Lz21305A (DI Pack)
    Lz7418A (VI Improver)
    Lz7749B (PPD)
    Yubase 4 (Group III Base Oil)
    Yubase 6 (Group III Base Oil)

Infact most VW 504.00/507.00 lubricants will be made with the above formulation. Pointless info but everyone loves pointless info!!
    Karl Alesbury likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    This

going to put some on today but I'm ringing Audi to see what they say - I drove a diesel car for 5 years and never had this..
    Exactly what engine do you have again ? I'm assuming the diesel ? Pretty low for your quoted mileage of 8000 miles ... I'm guessing the oil was never changed before ?

1st Gear

Status
    Exactly what engine do you have again ? I'm assuming the diesel ? Pretty low for your quoted mileage of 8000 miles ... I'm guessing the oil was never changed before ?
    Believe it or not, it's the 1.4 CoD! I've been told by someone at my Audi branch that an oil top-up has statistically occurred anywhere between 800 and 8,000 miles depending on how heavy-footed the driver is, and I've gone quite a long way without topping up.

I'm annoyed that they've said that and yet haven't bothered giving me 1 poxy litre of oil. Customer service goes a long way.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow StefRobinson On Twitter
    Did you guys get some oil when you picked up your new cars to top up the oil? How many miles did you do before putting this in? Did you put the full bottle in?

I've got the 1.6TDI and got a litre of oil when I got the car. Wondering if I should top up the oil and put it in now.
    Audi A3 Sportback 8V 1.6 TDI S-Line S-Tronic. Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Electric Heated/Folding Mirrors, Hold Assist, Interior Light Pack, SD Satellite Navigation, DAB Radio, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, Autoglym Lifeshine