Tax Disc & V5

driver_tim

Reaction score
I believe I'm right in saying that today is the first new plate day since the tax disc system changed, so instead of the dealer issuing the first disc it's sent out in the post from the DVLA, and you can drive without one for the first two weeks. Personally I signed and returned the DVLA paperwork to my dealer as soon as they sent it to me in mid-August, yet currently have no disc or V5. I don't have a lot of confidence that I'll get either any time soon, especially given the DVLA haven't yet processed the paperwork for the sale of my old car, which they've had for a while now. Has anyone collecting today or in the near future actually received either yet?

Collected today and not got either. Not worried though.

That's correct, told by the dealer the tax disc is sent out later and you can drive for 2 weeks without displaying the disc. But to sure how long you have to wait.

Same here. I don't even have a tax disc holder in mine yet - will have to get a nice looking one! He did give me the standard Audi one but not fitted, just a loose object

Reactions: hendry10
Same here. I was handed to Audi tax holder, but brought my one along....but waiting for the tax and v5 by post.

My dealer told me DVLA have to send the tax disc directly to the dealer who then obviously forward the disc to you. Luckily mine arrived at the dealers just in time for my pick up today. Last thing we did before driving out the showroom was to stick it and the tax holder on the windscreen. :)

DVLA have sacked over 300 people at local offices and replaced them with about 40 to the same job of issuing tax disks for new cars, so it can take a lot longer to get your disk than normal.

My dealer told me DVLA have to send the tax disc directly to the dealer who then obviously forward the disc to you. Luckily mine arrived at the dealers just in time for my pick up today. Last thing we did before driving out the showroom was to stick it and the tax holder on the windscreen. :)

I think it depends on what's specified on the registration paperwork; mine said it would be posted directly to me.

DVLA have sacked over 300 people at local offices and replaced them with about 40 to the same job of issuing tax disks for new cars, so it can take a lot longer to get your disk than normal.

Probably because it's all computerised now, and just done on numberplate recognition. There will be a record saying your car is taxed on a computer somewhere, and that's all that's needed really anyway. The bit of paper in the windscreen is very old fashioned now - I imagine they'll disappear at some point!

Probably because it's all computerised now, and just done on numberplate recognition. There will be a record saying your car is taxed on a computer somewhere, and that's all that's needed really anyway. The bit of paper in the windscreen is very old fashioned now - I imagine they'll disappear at some point!

I'm just hoping they've actually registered it on said computer; if I get stopped by the Police owing to their ANPR saying my car is untaxed I will not be happy! Unfortunately I've little confidence it's not just stuck somewhere in Swansea in a mound of paper, along with the sale notification for my old car!

At least they can't try and say I was trying not to pay, given the first year tax is free!

At least they can't try and say I was trying not to pay, given the first year tax is free!

Is it?? I had no idea about that :/

I got my v5 the day before collecting car and tax disc was at dealers when I hit there (two weeks ago)

It is for the 2.0 TDI (and 1.6) - depends on which tax band you are in.

Ah ok, tbh on my s3 it was not talked about, he just gave me the full year without asking

It's included usually in the price of the car (or the 'on the road' pack... something like that). The whole first year tax thing is a bit pointless because of that.

It's £125 for my 1.8T; on the plus side it's still cheaper than my previous Mk 6 Golf despite being more powerful!

I got a printed form signed by the dealer which says I should receive the relevant disc and reg form witihin 2 weeks but should chase up if I have not recevied anything within 8 days. Gonna keep this form in the car just in case I get stopped.

With regard tax after first year my 2.0TDI (150 BHP) is £20 compared to my 1.4TFSI (124BHP) which was £120....think the whole emmisions thing will be recalibrated by the governemnt soon before they also all tax disc revenue or they will scrap it and add a couple pence a litre on fuel

Yeh, the bands are bound to shift at some point, but it's at least still at the low end - and I don't think will change much! If anything, they'll affect the higher emissions cars a lot more than the low end to encourage people to move downwards

Just bought myself a nice tax disc holder in preparation!

Has not fallen off yet!!!!!

Yea looks good and easy to fit tax disc, not that I have got one yet.

Only fiddly thing for us with man hands is peeling off the stickers on the clear silicone pads that stick the holder to the windscreen.

If I get time will take photo and post later today

I'd love it if they did something similar for rectangular cards - I have a couple of parking permits I need to display in the windscreen, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there for that kind of thing.

I'd love it if they did something similar for rectangular cards - I have a couple of parking permits I need to display in the windscreen, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there for that kind of thing.

You could get them laminated if not already done and just stick them to the screen with some of the silicone sticky pads you get with the tax disc holder (or buy some from a stationary suppler)

Yeh, may do - was hoping there would be something available that's a bit smarter like that tax disc holder!

Has not fallen off yet!!!!!

Yea looks good and easy to fit tax disc, not that I have got one yet.

Only fiddly thing for us with man hands is peeling off the stickers on the clear silicone pads that stick the holder to the windscreen.

If I get time will take photo and post later today

hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 391
Reactions: cemerson
Mine also arrived today. I'm just waiting for my tax disc holder now. :)

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and have a new A3 SB Sport 2.0TDI 8V which I'm supposed to pick up in the next few days. I bought the car a few weekends ago after taking the demo for a test drive and loving it! The dealers managed to get hold of one which was supposed to go to a showroom and got it sent to their dealers. It's currently sat there now or in their compound at least.

I have been on the phone to the dealers who have registered the car and are now sending off for a tax disc (it's a new 63 plate - I will be the first person the car is registered to). I see above that quite a few people managed to get the car without the tax disc after the new changes that came in to force with the DVLA. I asked me dealer about this as I wanted to collect the car earlier but they have told me they can't let a car go without a tax disc as this against the company policy. I mentioned to them about a number of people on these forums being allowed to get their new cars without a tax disc - but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

Nope, but then again I collected my car on 1st September when it was impossible to actually have a tax disc that fast.

Not heard of that. My tax disc holder arrived today though, and is now fitted, but no tax disc yet!

Hi guys I have a quick question, I bought a demo A3 (registered jun/July 2013) and I'm picking it up at the beginning of October, does anyone know whether it will come with a tax disk from the dealer or not?
Thanks

I'd be amazed if it doesn't, as by that point it'll have to be declared SORN or taxed for demo purposes.

That's true. Cheers buddy.

Reactions: Karl Alesbury