Observations after a week with my new A3...

Oli Watts

Reaction score
After a first full week with this rather marvellous car I thought I'd share some observations for those of you still waiting for yours to arrive and also ask a few questions of those in possession :)

First of all its a marvellous machine. I ordered the 2.0 TDI S Line. It is the nicest thing I have ever had the fortune of owning. Couldn't make any complaints about the drive of the car. Exceptionally comfortable, fast when it needs to be — just very pleasant.

If you've ordered the advanced key you're in for a treat. Very clever system. The novelty of just opening or locking the car without a key is very cool. On a number of occasions it has got a little 'confused' when I have left the key in my bag in the boot, but I suppose that is because its out of range. I think it would have been cool if the key had come without the spring-loaded manual key, and just as a fob, but its a very clever system.

The hill hold and start stop are also incredibly useful. I've never driven a car with those features, and the hill hold in particular makes driving considerably more comfortable.

A small thing, but the acoustic glass makes a *massive* difference. You feel completely shielded from the outside world and when you knock on it with your knuckles it feels a lot more solid than normal glass.

My main gripe is with the MMI, particularly around the iPod connectivity. Its a massive pain in the **** to not be able to shuffle songs. I had a conversation with Audi on Twitter about this, and it seems if you want to be able to shuffle you need the £1,500 Tech Pack:

https://twitter.com/oli/status/372989771133755392

I wondered if anyone fancies conducting an experiment.

Has anyone without the Tech Pack had any luck getting the 'random play' option to appear using any version of an iPhone/iPod? I only have an iPhone 5 to test with it, but if anyone else fancies giving it a go I'd appreciate it lots.

Reactions: Little Red Monster
I have not specced the tech pack and will plan to test various apple products and see if i can get the devices to shuffle via the MMI as have ipad 3, iPhone 4S, iPod nanos and iPod classics of various generations belonging to various family members, but may not be a priority over first couple of days of ownership.

Sounds like you have come across the reason I left out the advanced key as wanted the ability to dump the lap top bag in the boot with the key in it and jump in and drive off but this is not possible, apparently it is designed in safety feature.

i am really getting excited now!

I've got keyless entry at the moment and always keep the key in a front trouser pocket. Works very well for me but can understand it doesn't for everyone. My current car has a physical button on the door handle which requires a double tap to unlock all doors though. I suppose a two stage unlock could be implemented on the advanced key with the second stage being pressing the unlock button on the inside. Not ideal though.

As for shuffling I'm intending to only use an SD card and the radio as sources. The AMI will hopefully charge my android phone. My wife's iPod is the only apple product in the house.