• 1 Post By mjcourtney
  • 1 Post By Daveotto
  • 3 Post By constvoid
  • 1 Post By A3sportbackMark

Thread: Warning - Car Jacking

5th Gear

Status

Exclamation Warning - Car Jacking

I have just heard some sickening news that my Uncle's girlfriend was car jacked on Wednesday evening. The car was a Red 2013 8V A3 3 Door 1.6Tdi Sport, registration RK13 XUJ.

The full details are included in this news report:
    Carjack terror for Coventry woman outside Nando's restaurant in Gielgud Way, Walsgrave - Coventry Telegraph

The scum actually stamped on her head in order to get her to surrender the keys. From the information in the report and from what she's said I think it's likely she was followed by the motorcyclist who probably noticed she was the only occupant of the car. She is now at home recovering, and we are all thankful it wasn't worse.

Given that there are about to be a lot of new registrations this weekend I thought it wise to warn everyone to be on the look out, particularly if you're driving in the Coventry area so that the same doesn't happen to you.

I suspect the car is long gone, but if you see it about please phone the police.

Stay safe folks and enjoy your cars, don't let them win.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    This is why I always have the car set to lock all the doors when I pull away if available - despite being a large bloke! Pretty terrible what happened though.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    OMG! That's Awfall! Glad she wasn't seriously injured, that's so scary though! I'm glad the car has the auto locking for when my fiancé is in the car by herself. She is pretty sensible with locking the doors as she gets in by herself though, she has had this programmed into her by her parents who live in El Salvador, the first thing you do there when you get in is lock the doors and put the air con on, never open the windows!
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah being a large bloke doesn't matter if they come at you with a massive crow bar or a large knife. Does the A3 allow you to lock all doors when you pull away?

6th Gear

Status
    I think so. I'd be surprised if it didn't, but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned around here somewhere before.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    Yes you can set it to autolock as you drive off. I shall be enabling that in mine as soon as I leave work.
    Karl Alesbury likes this.
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

5th Gear

Status
    Really sorry to hear this, Unfortunatly house breaking and car jacking to get the keys is increasingly becoming the only realstic way to steal a car due to the other security systems on board .

Have auto lock enabeld on my current car and will make sure it is enabeld on the new one
    Karl Alesbury likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow vivalacoulter On Twitter Add vivalacoulter on Facebook Visit vivalacoulter's Instagram Channel
    That's truly awful, hope she recovers soon.

is it possible to set an 8L S3 to auto lock?

3rd Gear

Status
    This is another good argument for the Advanced Key, for men it's not a problem as we tend to keep the key in our pocket. But my other half never get her key from her handbag until she is next to the car, then the fumbling starts.
    With the Advanced key, walk up open door put handbag on passenger seat and off she goes. All safe and quick
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

SJW
    1st Gear

Status
    Really sorry to hear this MJC. Such a shame that people have to resort to such. Hope they catch the cretins.
    Sportback / 2TDI / Manual / S-Line / Amalfi White / Sport Suspension /
    Alcantara Leather Split / Heated Seats / Elec Lumbar / Phone Box / Audi Sound System / Sat Nav /
    Privacy Glass / Through Load / Rear Side Airbags / Tyre Pressure Monitor

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vivalacoulter View Post
    is it possible to set an 8L S3 to auto lock?
    Yeah it can.

I think most Audis and modern car has anti car jacking mode and I feel it should be enabled straight way.
    Its a good thing to have I think.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Terrible story. Bloody scum... I had a work colleague who had someone try the same thing in London last year. He fought them off but was badly hurt in the process as one of them knifed him in the arm. The police actually caught the offenders in that case and all got prison sentences.

If we all set the doors to lock when we move off it would negate the chances of it happening a fair bit. I hope they get the scum who did this to that lady ...
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

5th Gear

Status
    I hope they catch them too, I think the police have a few leads - so fingers crossed.

In this instance i'm not sure the auto-locking would have prevented it as she was already preparing to leave the car and i'm not sure if she had already opened the door when they dragged her out. In these circumstances I guess you'd just have to look around before opening the door - very little she could have done to prevent this

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Fecking scum, lowlife motherfeckers, they need hurting man, prison does squat to them, give them something to remember it by, absolutely disgusts me reading this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    As well as the setting to lock the doors as you drive away I would recommend the two-stage unlock setting as well. That way, if you're on your own, you just unlock the driver's door and get in, without the risk of someone standing/hiding on the passenger side opening the door just as you're getting in.

It's only a minor inconvenience to double-click the key to open the other door(s) when you do have passengers, and you'll soon be reminded to do this by the wife glaring and knocking furiously on the passenger window if you forget
    hittchy, cemerson and Battlekrapz like this.
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic, MY14, Scuba Blue, 15-spoke 17" alloys, Comfort Pack with ACC, Interior Lighting Pack, Audi Sound System.

6th Gear

Status
    Yeh, I like this as well - though not relevant with the advanced key really as you can't do it!

1st Gear

Status
    Do all doors just open?

6th Gear

Status
    I think so - I think if they key is in range of the drivers door, pulling on any handle will open the door. I'm not entirely sure though!

1st Gear

Status
    Ah right. I wondered if the key had to be in range of the door you were closest to.

2nd Gear

Status
    Weird how all you are explaining the safety proceedure. When i bought my car from the dealership, when i enter my car i push my unlock button once and it only unlocks the drivers door. All the other doors are still locked and when I set off, all the doors lock themselves automatically.

Is this not the case with all standard A3?

1st Gear

Status
    Not with advanced key, apparently..

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by constvoid View Post
    As well as the setting to lock the doors as you drive away I would recommend the two-stage unlock setting as well. That way, if you're on your own, you just unlock the driver's door and get in, without the risk of someone standing/hiding on the passenger side opening the door just as you're getting in.

It's only a minor inconvenience to double-click the key to open the other door(s) when you do have passengers, and you'll soon be reminded to do this by the wife glaring and knocking furiously on the passenger window if you forget
    The car I just hired had this feature, and it was my wife that pointed out the merits of this. She too was left waiting at the passenger door until I got the hang of it.

Sickened by the story though.
    TonyH38 likes this.
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Alesbury View Post
    Not with advanced key, apparently..
    I'm not sure, but I don't see how it can be. I mean what do you do, walk up to the door, walk away again and walk up again?!

1st Gear

Status
    NO idea. Is there a remote central locking option on the key anyway, seeing as you get a normal key?

2nd Gear

Status
    woah woah woah, lets all take a step back.

I bought my car as an ex-demo from Audi and none of the extra they talked included the advance key. I thought the advance key was only the process of locking and unlocking when the proximity of the key was near the car and it was a push start button.

Can anyone else confirm on their A3 if they have the same standard security features like push once to unlock and only unlocks the drivers door, push unlock twice on the keyfob to unlock the rest of the doors of the car. And finally when setting off, the doors automatically lock themselves?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizophonic View Post
    Can anyone else confirm on their A3 if they have the same standard security features like push once to unlock and only unlocks the drivers door, push unlock twice on the keyfob to unlock the rest of the doors of the car. And finally when setting off, the doors automatically lock themselves?
    Yes, all new A3s have those options as standard. The question about the advance key is how you operate the single/double unlock when you don't press any buttons.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizophonic View Post
    Weird how all you are explaining the safety proceedure. When i bought my car from the dealership, when i enter my car i push my unlock button once and it only unlocks the drivers door. All the other doors are still locked and when I set off, all the doors lock themselves automatically.

Is this not the case with all standard A3?
    It is indeed. But you can reconfigure it to open all doors with one click instead of needing 2 clicks. People are just suggesting it might be safer to stick with the single door unlock.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

Status
    This happened just down the road from me,sorry to hear.