What to expect on pick-up day?

SuffolkAudiMan

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls, I wondered what kind of reception we can expect on Pick-Up day? I have a feeling the keys will be just thrown at me but I wondered what people had already experienced?

Was it a glossy experience with the car unveiled from under a cover with champagne and chocolates? Did they make you feel special?

The latter for me. Car was under a cover in the showroom with a plaque next to it with my name on it.

They did a big reveal and I was given some Audi merchandise, a bouquet of flowers for the Mrs and a bottle of bubbly. 10 out 10 for delivery!!! :)

Our local dealer has a "handover room", nicely painted in white with sunken Strip lights along the floor to highlight your pride and joy. I've heard of other dealers that cover the car and give an exaggerated unveiling but i think they tend to keep that for the S and RS models....all in all a very enjoyable experience. Have since been back a few times with the dreaded 1.4 Rattle :(

The latter for me. Car was under a cover in the showroom with a plaque next to it with my name on it.

They did a big reveal and I was given some Audi merchandise, a bouquet of flowers for the Mrs and a bottle of bubbly. 10 out 10 for delivery!!! :)

My last A3 collection experience was like this (flowers, chocolates but no bubbly) and hoping for similar this time (and hoping for a lifeshine kit and rubber mats as well) but never collected a car on new plate day so expect it might be a little more frantic and rushed

I know my dealer is allocating an hour per handover (i have px to finalise) but as dealership might have 2 - 4 salesman working Sunday it could be a bit hectic.....maybe they will give me an S3 by mistake

As you say, all depends on how busy they are. I don't think any of the dealers are likely to just chuck the keys at you though (unless you maybe went through a broker and screwed them down to the last penny!).

As you say, all depends on how busy they are. I don't think any of the dealers are likely to just chuck the keys at you though (unless you maybe went through a broker and screwed them down to the last penny!).

Unfortunately I didn't screw them...I was one of those excited customers who didn't really haggle. All I got was a free three year service plan. Reason I think they may just throw the keys at me is because of how they have handled me throughout the order. Very disinterested and never giving me updates. One of those dealers you have to chase!

I really hope they do a little bit of a presentation, if only to please the wife who currently wants to make a complaint to Audi.

I am sure Audi will remain professional even if they have been squeezed. My wifes experience with Peugeot a few years back was very much a throw the keys at you event but was not expecting anytihng different......pity that dealership went bust (NOT)

As I'm sure you know I'm collecting mine at Midnight :D so it may not be as personal as they have over 40 cars driving away at midnight but they have told me to turn up at 9pm on sat, they are having a BBQ live band and magicians apparently, all the cars will be lined up ready to go with photographers.
My sales man will go through everything with me the. Let me enjoy the party then at 12:01 off we go in a big line!

My Mrs was talking to her boss who bought an A3 a couple of years ago and said when he collected his it rose up out of the ground in a dramatic style with lights etc. He lives in Chester but not sure what dealer he used?

Reactions: Sandra
My Mrs was talking to her boss who bought an A3 a couple of years ago and said when he collected his it rose up out of the ground in a dramatic style with lights etc. He lives in Chester but not sure what dealer he used?

Ha, that sounds amazing - so much fanfare!

I've seen the room at my dealers exactly as 'FirstEverAudi' describes - sunken strip lighting etc, so that's what I'm expecting

Reactions: First Ever Audi
As I'm sure you know I'm collecting mine at Midnight :D so it may not be as personal as they have over 40 cars driving away at midnight but they have told me to turn up at 9pm on sat, they are having a BBQ live band and magicians apparently, all the cars will be lined up ready to go with photographers.
My sales man will go through everything with me the. Let me enjoy the party then at 12:01 off we go in a big line!

Sounds like something out of thunderbirds. Would be so cool though. :) x

I think my dealership have a collection room but I'm not sure they'll manage to use it for all 68 cars that are being collected that day.

Wow I had no idea all this stuff went on, now you have really raised my expectations, hope I'm not disappointed!

Full tank of fuel, Audi teddy bears for the kids, flowers, bottle of bubbly, professional photography vouchers supposedly worth £300 after investigating cost them only £25, there freebies given over 3 cars...light swirls over 3 cars :mad:

Wow. I had not really thought about it - until now. Some audi merchandise would be great, but since I went through a broker, perhaps I should not get my hopes up.

Anyone got any experiences at Crawley Audi??

Wow. I had not really thought about it - until now. Some audi merchandise would be great, but since I went through a broker, perhaps I should not get my hopes up.

The merchandise costs them peanuts, jackets, lanyards, caps is ALL advertising for them plus some of it's nice gear and wearing it sometimes compliments the car at events and meets

Crawley Audi are at the end of my road. They do the usual handover with the car inside under a cover, parked in a little area next to/behind the reception desk. After the handover you get to start the car up and drive out of the building in your new wheels.
With my TT they chucked in the car care kit and an umbrella, A3 and A4 just the car car kit. My new A3 will be my fourth car from them so hoping for a little more tbh.

Reactions: SportbackStu
Dann, maybe you should take the Bricktop approach, would certainly frighten them into some freebies.

btw absolutely love that film (Snatch) and that character, reminds me of an uncle, a real old time east end villain who is sadly not with us any more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan76
Thanks Louay. I'll push them at collection, nothing ventured!

Reactions: Louay
I'd probably walk out with an R8 if I was Bricktop lol
Its a good idea though, I'll ask him if he knows what nemesis means and tell him I own a pig farm :gun2:

Reactions: Daveotto
Will just have to wait until collection day to see who gets the best stuff.

While I was at the dealers last night, not quite managing to sort the paperwork out (got to go again tonight, grrr), he told me that my car would just be in the showroom and I'd drive it out of there. Maybe their collection room is fully booked on 1st Sept!

I was in on Monday sorting out the paperwork ready for collection this Sunday. Salesmen told me they have 25 pick ups on 1st September. They intend to clear the showroom and have all the cars lined up ready to be driven off (in time order of collection I assume!). Everyone better stick to their pick up time! ;-)

I was in on Monday sorting out the paperwork ready for collection this Sunday. Salesmen told me they have 25 pick ups on 1st September. They intend to clear the showroom and have all the cars lined up ready to be driven off (in time order of collection I assume!). Everyone better stick to their pick up time! ;-)

My dealership wouldn't be able to do that either. They've only got room for about 8 cars in the showroom and nearly 70 collections!

Mine said similar - 20 to 25 pickups on Sunday. I got 10am confirmed but have asked for 9am instead (earlier the better for me - otherwise I'll just be watitng around in the morning for an extra hour to go by!)

Reactions: TDI-line
cant believe what some of you are saying, my pickup was very underwhelming.
the car was just waiting for me in the carpark, no flowers, no champaign, no nothing, even one of the options i'd ordered was wrong.

must use a different dealer next time.

What option was wrong and what did they do about it?

What option was wrong and what did they do about it?

ordered aluminium roof rails but black ones were fitted...not a good look on a silver car.
they have been swapped over now, and it looks loads better, but it involved taking the head lining out and removing lots of internal trim, windscreen got broken in the process, etc.

rich

Black rails on a silver car??? I can just imagine the fitter in the factory thinking "Wow this looks bad, but the customer is always right!!!" :blink:

And for the windscreen to be broken whilst having it sorted is a sign of incompetence, you're right - choose a different dealer in the future :thumbsup:

I would choose black roof rails on a silver car, but each to there own. ;)

Reactions: mjcourtney
June '09 - Audi A4 Cabrio Final Edition : handover room with the posh floor lights, B & O surround sound playing soothing tunes, 5 mins left alone to get acquainted, tank of fuel, Audi golfing umbrella, bunch of flowers for my missus, oh and a gorgeous piece of metal with the roof down ready to go !!! One of the most memorable days of my life - sad I know !!!

May '13 - Audi A3 8V S-line : as above but with the now familiar unveil, an Audi 4 ring key fob and a meet with the dealer principal.

On both occasions the sales person was keen to show me all the buttons but all I wanted to do was hit the road.

To be honest a quality dealership - Teeside Audi. Great service and nice people. I'd work there if I could !!!

Yeah, first car was rejected. They were keen to get the 2nd one right.

I would choose black roof rails on a silver car, but each to there own. ;)

i'd kinda gotten used to the black roof rails, they were fitted for over a month before they were swapped over, and did have a horrible thought that i'd end up preferring them being black after the swap. in the end i think i prefer the silver but its marginal and if at the time the dealer said they'd give me a few free services as compensation and leave the car the way it was i'd have been happy with that.

now they've fixed that and mostly cleaned up the lifeshine related runs on the dashboard and interior plastics i'm starting to like the car again but there was a time i'd have gladly walked away from it. i spent the extra on a 'prestige' (i really hate that word) brand to avoid having these sort of problems and, although it's not been subaru bad, its not been how i'd imagined it would be.