trailer hitch possibilities on s-line model

Tom75

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know that if you order a A3 S-line directly with detachable trailer hitch then there will be a small kind of "flap" in the back which you can take out if using the trailer hitch.

How would it be done to install this detachable trailer hitch without the pre-made hole and flap in the back because there should of course not be a open hole if the hitch is not used.
Or is it only possible to install this with a new rear bumper which has the flap etc.

Thanks and Regards,
Tom

Not sure, you may have to cut the hole yourself - that's certainly the case with some towbars I've seen.

Replace valance with towbar equivalent is the best/neatest option.

You fitting it yourself Tom or need a fitter?

Thanks for the response.

NHN: do you mean by replace valance to take away the whole rear bumper permanently to get the towbar there? Is there no better option because I imagine that this will look terrible?

Yes I need a fitter..... but in Norway.

Thanks and Regards,
Tom

The official towbar has a removable panel in there as you mentioned in your first post - I think NHN means you'll need to swap your valance with the one that has the panel installed.

Yes the valance insert would need replacing, as upon checking etka, the whole cover/bumper isn't separated by towbar version & without, so it must mean its just the valance that needs swapping for towbar version.

Or the valance cut according to a template. My friend's BMW 3 series had a towbar where you did this - cut the existing one.

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess that will be the best solution then.

Regards,
Tom

Cutting it does look pants tbh, as some B8 owners have found, when audi decided to leave valances cut from factory with a hole, even when no towbar was actually fitted.

Yes, I was afraid that cutting would not look any good. I will check with the fitter if he can get this replacement valance insert. I guess we are talking only about the not lacquered part below the bumper.

Regards,
Tom

I pick mine up (with towbar) in 5 days if you can wait till then, I can take photos if you like

Thanks, that would be nice, I'm not in a hurry.

Regards,
Tom

Hi again,

it seems that they have her in Norway some problems finding the correct thing etc. Would it be possible for somebody to find out the part number of the "valance insert" that needs to be replaced, meaning the lower black part of the s-line rear bumper which has the hole for the towbar with the flap to open / close it.

Would be really great if somebody could help me with that.

Regards,
Tom

I forgot about this - I'll take some photos for you later. I can't help with the part numbers though I'm afraid.

anyway, thanks for taking a picture..... do you have a s line?

Maybe somebody else can find out this part number.

Thanks and regards,
Tom

No, mine is the sport trim. They do have different parts here, but I thought it was only in colour (Grey on the S-line, black on everything else). It could be a different shape too. I imagine the cut-out and panel would be the same though (other than in colour).

Just taken some photos of it all, will post them later when I can get the photos off my phone! I have one of it with the panel in place, one without, one of the panel itself, one with the towbar on, and one with the towbar on and electrics swung down as well. Are there any other photos you wanted in particular? The only thing at the moment that's a bit of a pain is I find it quite hard to fit by 'feel' - you have to get on the ground and see what's going on really. They give you a pair of gloves though to attach and detach the towbar, which is a nice touch!

Reactions: Tom75
I should also say... I requested that the 13 pin socket was done to international standards, specifically ISO 11446, as a lot of manufacturers don't do this by default unless asked. I was told it was fine and that it would meet these standards, yet when it came, pins 10, 11 and 12 were missing from the socket (pin 12 is supposed to be, but 10 and 11 are for caravan fridges / general 12V switched supply). I'm trying to get this rectified but the last my dealer emailed me, he was offering to put in twin electrics (which is an old system no longer used) with me paying £700 for the privilege! I'm not going to let this go though, I have email confirmation that it would come meeting the standards, and it hasn't, so they don't have a leg to stand on really.

I've just ordered one of these: FUEL CAN BAG to keep the hitch itself in. It does have a storage place that you can use under the boot floor, but if you have that installed it requires the boot floor to be in the upper position - not ideal. This should work fine, and allow me to keep it in the boot. I had wanted to stow it somewhere it couldn't move, but actually the bootliner makes sure it doesn't move anyway, so that's solved! I just keep it in a back corner of the boot.

It looks like they do made-to-measure bags as well if you ask them, so if anyone else has a use for a heavy duty waterproof bag that velcros shut, they could probably cater for it!

I should also say... I requested that the 13 pin socket was done to international standards, specifically ISO 11446, as a lot of manufacturers don't do this by default unless asked. I was told it was fine and that it would meet these standards, yet when it came, pins 10, 11 and 12 were missing from the socket (pin 12 is supposed to be, but 10 and 11 are for caravan fridges / general 12V switched supply). I'm trying to get this rectified but the last my dealer emailed me, he was offering to put in twin electrics (which is an old system no longer used) with me paying £700 for the privilege! I'm not going to let this go though, I have email confirmation that it would come meeting the standards, and it hasn't, so they don't have a leg to stand on really.

Thank you very much would be great if you could post these pictures.

Yes I also want a 13 pin socket because if you have a trailer with the other one you can just use an adapter which I always had in my car anyway.
I also have to check that.

Regards,
Tom

I don't need the switched 12V currently, and don't tow caravans anyway, but I did ask for it so should be there, and am likely to make use of it in the future, so it's well worth checking and making sure it'll be done!

This page shows the ISO 11446 standard - 13 Pin & the UK | Right Connections

Just had a call from them saying they are going to sort it out for me at their expense, and give me a courtesy car while they do it, so that's good.

Here you go, some photos

Attachments

• 20130905_125506[1].jpg
    20130905_125506[1].jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 20130905_125531[1].jpg
    20130905_125531[1].jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 20130905_125538[1].jpg
    20130905_125538[1].jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 20130905_125640[1].jpg
    20130905_125640[1].jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 20130905_125702[1].jpg
    20130905_125702[1].jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 256
I still want to test whether the towbar is visible in the reversing camera - I suspect it is. The camera has a towing mode, which puts a single line down the centre (that moves as you steer), te help you line up on trailes, and lines for distance. Would be great to just be able to reverse up and step with the towball directly under the hitch :D

Reactions: Tom75
I didn't know the camera has a towing mode but will definitely check that out, thanks.

Regards,
Tom

I was reading some issues of the VW Magazine while I was waiting for my Golf to be serviced. One of the articles showed a Mk7 GTD that had been fitted with a swing down tow bar. It is available in europe. Apparently has to be a special order/request from the UK.

I showed the article to the sales person. He showed me the tow bar working on a Touareg. Then said it was not available on the Golf. I mentioned the article in the magazine. He checked and said it was not possible. I politely suggested he read the magazine.

The article discussed all the things the tow bar could do. It would change the electronic stability control, activate alarm if disconnected, change external and internal indicator/light operation and simply fold away when not needed. It looks like a fairly smart tow bar.

There is a short youtube clip showing this tow bar. Search 'golf rear tow hook'. Does anyone know if this type of tow bar is available on any Audi? Q5 maybe? Or available in Europe?

Last edited:
Hi like the photos , would you have any of the spare wheel well , is it true you can't set the shelf on the lower level.

Thanks

George

No, not true - unless you leave the useless but of foam that the towbar normally sits in in there. If you take that out and store it elsewhere (I got a velcro bag for it that works perfectly) then you can lower the shelf just fine. I don't have any of the spare wheel well, I can take some but there isn't anything different to see in there.

I still want to test whether the towbar is visible in the reversing camera - I suspect it is. The camera has a towing mode, which puts a single line down the centre (that moves as you steer), te help you line up on trailes, and lines for distance. Would be great to just be able to reverse up and step with the towball directly under the hitch :D
The guide lines on my rear view camera disappear when I connect the trailer to the car - is this normal?

I don't know if I've ever noticed, though it would make sense.

No, not true - unless you leave the useless but of foam that the towbar normally sits in in there. If you take that out and store it elsewhere (I got a velcro bag for it that works perfectly) then you can lower the shelf just fine. I don't have any of the spare wheel well, I can take some but there isn't anything different to see in there.

Many thanks you're a gent.
Try asking that question at an Audi centre !

To answer my own question above - it would appear that Audi do have a drop down factory fit tow bar. I was able to find 2 videos showing it fitted to a Q5 and a A6. Though I have been unable to find if it is an option for the A3. Though if the Golf can get it (last video) I don't see why it could not be fitted to the A3.

Last edited:
Yes, its a factory fit option on the A3. About £650 last time I looked. It's detachable rather than folding down. It has all of the features you mentioned from the VW article.

Replace valance with towbar equivalent is the best/neatest option.

You fitting it yourself Tom or need a fitter?
What are the part numbers for the tow hitch valance and the tow bar itself? Will these work on an e-torn? I want to tow about 1500 lbs.

To answer my own question above - it would appear that Audi do have a drop down factory fit tow bar. I was able to find 2 videos showing it fitted to a Q5 and a A6. Though I have been unable to find if it is an option for the A3. Though if the Golf can get it (last video) I don't see why it could not be fitted to the A3.

The Q5 solution seems rather messy when compared to its Porsche stablemate.

Anyway, anybody know any reason the S3 can't have a towbar?

The Q5 solution seems rather messy when compared to its Porsche stablemate.

I knew someone with a BMW 5 series with this system before. It's a pain in the ****. It's slow, and you had to stand there holding the button the whole time (though looks like you don't have to with the Porsche). Not only that, but the mechanism uses nylon cogs which wear out and create an expensive repair job. The simple pivot job that the Q5 video shows is much better. The A3 has the same system, but without the flap you have to remove first.

This video is the closest to how the A3 towbar works now:

Anyway, anybody know any reason the S3 can't have a towbar?

I think it used to be that you couldn't put it on a quattro because the rear diff overheated or something... but this can't be the case for the modern system, because I have it on my 184 TDI Quattro...

Reactions: GSB