Car Thieves target hot Audis?

Reaction score
Reading the Sunday Times motoring supplement today it states

'Criminals will either smash a window or jam the vehicles remote signal to prevent the car from locking. Once inside they plug a device - roughly the size of a mobile phone - into the diagnostic port fitted to all modern cars, which connects it to the vehicle's computer. This allows it access to the codes needed to program a blank key fob that is held close to the device. Within 20 seconds crooks are able to lock, unlock and start the car'

The models mentioned are A4, A5 and Q5. Does this mean Audi have secured our A3 using a different format? Has anyone had their car stolen using this method?

old news

Reactions: TDI-line
I prefer to use a laptop than a mobile phone :D

Reactions: Schizophonic, TDI-line and Daveotto
I deliberately posted useless comments, as it appears a thread a week appears regarding car security, and this is a public forum. What if some guy stood outside your house with a ipad ( or laptop) and googles how to steal your car, finding this post telling him how to do it?!

Some of the forums i have access to pretty much tell me how to do that, id hate for everybody to know, im sure you would hate it too.

Reactions: Fragup and TDI-line
The videos for BMWs are clearly available on youtube, failing that a 2 minute google search brings up the kit needed to carry it out.

If this is possible then we should be banding together and making Audi aware that we know then demanding a fix, not trying to sweep it under the carpet!

The OP posted a fair question, forewarned is forearmed.

So (again) does it affect Audis...?

EDIT: Nevermind - its being properly discussed in another thread;

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rs3-forum/197296-audi-rs-s-models-new-theft-warning.html

Last edited:
I was not looking for anyone to describe how to overcome Audis security. I was hoping that someone would tell me Audi was aware of this security weakness and were working on a fix. Looks like this has not been done yet?