Chris NottBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By viperfire

Thread: New A3 1.8 stronic - Grinding sound during acceleration

Reverse Gear

Status

New A3 1.8 stronic - Grinding sound during acceleration

I purchased a new A3 at the beginning of this month, and I've since started to notice an annoying 'grinding' sound generally during acceleration in low gears.

Took it into the dealer who claimed it was the exhaust and a normal sound, but I'm highly skeptical.

It's the sort of sound I can't ignore, and now I just drive listening out for it..

Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Uber Post Whore

Status
    No ideas, but i'd get it booked in as not a satisfactory noise for a month old car.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    I purchased a new A3 at the beginning of this month, and I've since started to notice an annoying 'grinding' sound generally during acceleration in low gears.

Took it into the dealer who claimed it was the exhaust and a normal sound, but I'm highly skeptical.

It's the sort of sound I can't ignore, and now I just drive listening out for it..

Any ideas?

during heavy acceleration or light or both? do you feel any vibrations on the steering wheel when you hear it?
    (heavy accel. could make the traction control step in and you would hear and feel it)

hear it on smooth road, bumpy road or both?

Is the noise more prevalent when the gears are initially engaged/engaging (low rpm engine straining feeling) or do you hear the noise throughout the length of the gear?

Reverse Gear

Status
    No vibrations, and the traction control light isn't coming on. The sound happens even when driving relaxed in eco mode, and the road surface doesn't seem to be a factor.

It's most noticeable when pulling away, I'll hear the sound for a few seconds during a certain rev range in the lower gears. It's also somewhat random, sometimes I won't hear it at all. I can't reproduce the noise whenever I want, but I'll hear it often during a drive.

Reverse Gear

Status

Any ideas?

Sounds similar to mine. I bought a new A3 manual, petrol 1.4 in March. When I took mine to the garage 2 months later to look into the noise, they compared and soon spotted it was affecting other new A3's too. I called back today after a few more months and they've since had more customers bring their new A3's in with the same observation. Apparently Audi is aware but not currently considering it a fault. Doesn't exactly sound pretty for a new car, even if it is benign.

2nd Gear

Status
    Dakar,
    I haven't noticed this on mine yet but still early days and low miles.

Is this similar to the 1.4T "rattle"? Lots of threads on that but thought the 1.8T was unaffected. The exhaust does have a bit of a blare to it at higher revs, but that's something I don't want to change!

Will keep an ear open for your noise. Any chance of a passenger getting a recording to post up on here?

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    Its the turbo linkage rattle fault imo
    Schizophonic likes this.
    1.4 TFSI 122ps A3 SportBack. Comfort pack, Audi sound system, Daytona grey, SD Sat Nav, S line trim. Love it!

Reverse Gear

Status
    It's still a problem and is currently being investigated by Audi HQ. Took it back last week again for a more precise sound test, and waiting for feedback.

Apparently other A3's have also reported the problem, and my dealership believes it's related to the wastegate, but nothing official yet.

I would love to get a recording but my phone doesn't seem to pick the sound up, so might borrow an external mic from a friend.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    Is this similar to the 1.4T "rattle"? Lots of threads on that but thought the 1.8T was unaffected. The exhaust does have a bit of a blare to it at higher revs, but that's something I don't want to change!
    Mind pointing me to a thread on the 1.4T 'rattle'? This is the old 'A3 rattle' which definitely doesn't sound anything like my problem.

3rd Gear

Status
    Mind pointing me to a thread on the 1.4T 'rattle'? This is the old 'A3 rattle' which definitely doesn't sound anything like my problem.
    I think this is what you're after:
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-...t-startup.html
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.