EM TuningSky Insurance
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By snakehips
  • 2 Post By snakehips

Thread: I just test drove the 184 PS!

3rd Gear

Status

Cool I just test drove the 184 PS!

Our local dealer has an S-Line Quattro 184 demonstrator so I took it for a spin at lunchtime. Absolutely bloody marvellous!
    Coming from a Golf GTi I wasn't convinced a diesel could cut it for me but I have to say its performance at least matched the GTi, and I think was better at motorway overtaking and real life driving. Add to that the Quattro stability and the fact that it is just such a nice place to sit, so I went ahead and ordered one on the spot! The only downside is expected January delivery.
    My spec:

S-Line Quattro SB 184 PS
    Shiraz Red
    Comfort Pack
    Technology Pack
    LED Headlights
    B&O Sound System
    Phone Box
    Folding Door Mirrors
    Electric and Heated Seats
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Privacy Glass
    Interior Lighting Package
    Deselect Sports Suspension

I think all this should add up to a nice little motor...
    TDI-line, cemerson and Fragup like this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    have you driven a 150 to compare against?

A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150 S Line - Brilliant Black, Black Styling Package, Black Roof Rails, Model and Tech Deletion, Comfort Package, Audi Sound System, SD Sat Nav, Privacy Glass, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Package, Hold Assist, Through Load Facility, Non Smoking Pack and S Line Suspension.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw7 View Post
    have you driven a 150 to compare against?
    No, I started a thread last week asking for comparison but no one had at that time. TBH even if the 150 was pretty much as good I'd have taken the 184 because I wanted Quattro. I'm sure your 150 is absolutely bloody marvellous too!

Neutral

Status
    I hope so! The lease prices hadn't been released for the 184 when I had to order! Otherwise would have forgone a few options for the 184.

A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150 S Line - Brilliant Black, Black Styling Package, Black Roof Rails, Model and Tech Deletion, Comfort Package, Audi Sound System, SD Sat Nav, Privacy Glass, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Package, Hold Assist, Through Load Facility, Non Smoking Pack and S Line Suspension.

6th Gear

Status
    You should drive one just to be able to make a comparison for other people :P My 150PS test drive was almost a year ago now so can't really compare myself, if I were to try the 184 (I might ask to at some point though)
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    I should add that I went in fully expecting to order Daytona Grey but they had a display car in Shiraz Red and I fell in love with it. Had never seen that colour in the flesh before.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    You should drive one just to be able to make a comparison for other people :P My 150PS test drive was almost a year ago now so can't really compare myself, if I were to try the 184 (I might ask to at some point though)
    Maybe I should, as a public service!
    cemerson and outlaw7 like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Join the club! I also have a 184ps in Shiraz red on order!
    2013 A3 SportBack 181 2.0TDI. Shiraz Red - Panoramic Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Heated Seats, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Audi Sound System, Hill Hold Assist, Folding Mirrors, Debadged.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smk82 View Post
    Join the club! I also have a 184ps in Shiraz red on order!
    Damn, I thought I was unique!
    Did you test drive it or order on faith? I suggest your faith will be rewarded.

1st Gear

Status
    I had ordered the 150 with the spec in my signature. Then the 184ps came out, which is the engine I originally wanted, as I didn't want to step down in power from my TT(175hp). Dithered between the scuba blue or the red, but decided on the red when I saw it in the flesh..
    2013 A3 SportBack 181 2.0TDI. Shiraz Red - Panoramic Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Heated Seats, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Audi Sound System, Hill Hold Assist, Folding Mirrors, Debadged.

If Audi were to give me the choice I would probably go for the 184 but I don't think they will. As you can see from my signature I have a 2.0TDI-170 Sportback in SE trim with 17" alloys at the moment which is just perfect. There are things about the Sport trim that I don't like. I know I can have the SE suspension and wheels but I don't want Sports seats and I don't want a black interior. My last few A3s have had grey interiors and I much prefer that. I've had enough cars with black interiors to last me a lifetime.

If Audi decide not to offer the Sportback 184 in SE trim then I will probably go for the 150 and accept the slightly lower power.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    You can get the sport trim with a grey interior, I'm pretty sure...
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Rup
    Reverse Gear

Status
    I've got a grey interior on my sport model. You need to order the alcantara upgraded seats to get grey. Looks great, black too gloomy.

6th Gear

Status
    I was torn between them really, but thought that it would be harder to keep clean / show the dirt more, and with the interior lighting pack you can really make it all look like a fighter jet cockpit at night with it all being dark :P I've since read that the grey can leech colour from denim sometimes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rup View Post
    I've got a grey interior on my sport model. You need to order the alcantara upgraded seats to get grey. Looks great, black too gloomy.
    That's true but I don't like the sports seats or leather. My current A3 had the light grey material seats and I would want something similar. This is only available in SE trim.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    That's true but I don't like the sports seats or leather. My current A3 had the light grey material seats and I would want something similar. This is only available in SE trim.
    It is quite poor of Audi not to add the 184 to the SE spec, when you can buy an A4 3.0 TDIQ.

But looking on Audi.de shows you configure a very basic model with 2.0 TDIQ 184, so maybe this may follow over here.

Lovely spec Snakechips, wish i could of specced all those options.

I've got to say the 184 Quattro is one of the best driver cars, with great feedback, even after comparing this after driving the new GTI and GTD.

So i've ordered one also.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :