Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daveotto

Thread: Will the dealer attempt to sell me anything (hard sell if necessary)..?

Neutral

Status

Will the dealer attempt to sell me anything (hard sell if necessary)..?

On my pick up date (and on the time they asked me to go in to sign off all remaining paperwork etc)? If so, what sorts of thing can I expect? Just so that I can do my research first.

I did have their asset protection, but I then removed it because of how expensive it was compared to others out there. Started off at £300, then when I took it off he offered £190. Didn't accept. So there is a potential thing he may bring up with me specifically. If he went down to £150 I recon I would accept. And paying it upfront in whole, to avoid interest and APR.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    GAP Insurance, service plan, extended warranty, accessories?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by brad9753 View Post
    On my pick up date (and on the time they asked me to go in to sign off all remaining paperwork etc)? If so, what sorts of thing can I expect? Just so that I can do my research first.

I did have their asset protection, but I then removed it because of how expensive it was compared to others out there. Started off at £300, then when I took it off he offered £190. Didn't accept. So there is a potential thing he may bring up with me specifically. If he went down to £150 I recon I would accept. And paying it upfront in whole, to avoid interest and APR.
    Depends if you look gullible/flustered/not in control....end of the day they are salesman and if they think they can sell you their mother-in-law then they will.

Seriously, expect as you have said GAP cover along with life shine and tyre replacement cover along with extended warranty etc if you are not interested a polite but firm thanks but no thanks should be enough to stop any unwanted sales pitch.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

4th Gear

Status
    When I went in to set my collection time, I enquirer about the service plan, which I am happy to buy, the salesman offered the £400 life shine for £250. After reading advice on this forum, it will have to come down a lot more before I'm tempted.

Im more interested what the salesman has to offer in terms of freebies, since I have spent a pretty penny, not sure what to expect for this, but a previous thread has this well documented.
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

6th Gear

Status
    Service plan doesn't seem worth it for the mileage I'll be doing (18k/yr) from what I can tell on here - most people seem to have the variable servicing come up every 19k, which will mean I'll only get 1 service out of the plan.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Service plan doesn't seem worth it for the mileage I'll be doing (18k/yr) from what I can tell on here - most people seem to have the variable servicing come up every 19k, which will mean I'll only get 1 service out of the plan.
    my current 1.4TFSI 8P went 10k then 13k on a variable service plan and have done 10k since last service and DIS is telling me ca. 5k until next service and oil change. Based on this type of mileage (10ksh a year) which is 75% dual carriageway/motorway dealer has advised me to stick with variable servicing and not take up service plan.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    ... and one brake fluid change at three years. I believe that's included in the service plan. It'd probably still be cheaper for you to pay as you go though, as you say.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

3rd Gear

Status
    My last car purchase the dealer tried the hard sell on GAP, tyre insurance and Lifeshine. I point blank refused and finally he threw them all in for "free" by discounting the car price appropriately. I guess selling these extras is a big deal for their commission, more so than the price of the car. Worth knowing for possible use as extra leverage!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    My last car purchase the dealer tried the hard sell on GAP, tyre insurance and Lifeshine. I point blank refused and finally he threw them all in for "free" by discounting the car price appropriately. I guess selling these extras is a big deal for their commission, more so than the price of the car. Worth knowing for possible use as extra leverage!
    Just spoke with my dealer as I'm finalising for 1st sept collection. He clarified the service plan (sounded convincing to me) which I am getting, but tried the life shine and GAP insurance, yet again! I refused the insurance, but on the life shine he asked what I was prepared to pay (after previously refusing it at £250). What do people think its worth?
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3sportbackMark View Post
    Just spoke with my dealer as I'm finalising for 1st sept collection. He clarified the service plan (sounded convincing to me) which I am getting, but tried the life shine and GAP insurance, yet again! I refused the insurance, but on the life shine he asked what I was prepared to pay (after previously refusing it at £250). What do people think its worth?
    Mark, depends how much you like cleaning/detailing your car. You can pick up a full lifeshine kit on eBay for about £50 and then do it yourself, but if you are in the Jeremy Clarkson school of non car cleaners might be worth paying £125-£150 for!
    A3sportbackMark likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Mark, depends how much you like cleaning/detailing your car. You can pick up a full lifeshine kit on eBay for about £50 and then do it yourself, but if you are in the Jeremy Clarkson school of non car cleaners might be worth paying £125-£150 for!
    I must admit, currently I'm not a great cleaner of my car, however, becoming an Audi owner and seeing how people are so proud of their audis may change my attitude.
    Thanks for your valuation, I shall take your advice and ponder....