Any 184PS Test Drive Reports Yet?

snakehips

Reaction score
Now that the demonstrators have started arriving I'm curious to hear your feedback on test drives, especially if you've already driven the 150PS for comparison.
I've got mine booked for 24th, in an S-Line S-tronic. If all goes well I'll slap my wad on the table there and then!

When you look at the engine specs there is not much difference in the torque 60NM and 34 in HP, I dont think you will feel the difference, the torque limit is another 250 revs more and usable. It would be interesting to see them side by side on the 0-60 track.
The 150HP does a good job from stopping the wheels from spinning I think the 184 may let them spin out hence the 150 being more usable power.
As the HP you will never get that out from the engine in normal driving unless you can load the car down, people or trailer.

Last edited:
Yeah the difference will be noticeable but not large. My old 8P 170PS was noticeably nipper than my 8V 150PS is but nothing major. If you want the extra performance and feel it justifies the extra cost and slightly reduced economy then go for it but don't expect it to be a rocketship compared to the 150 :)

Vertigo 1

Yes your right there the balance of the 150 is right for the car, the 184 may make it twitchy or unstable during standing starts. My last A4 had to be treated with care when leaving lights or junctions as t liked to spin out the wheels.

On the upside my 170PS 8P managed sub-10m round the Nurburgring, not sure if the 8V could match that :D

On the upside my 170PS 8P managed sub-10m round the Nurburgring, not sure if the 8V could match that :D

Of course it could- that fit bird from Top Gear can do that in a transit van!

Reactions: dieseldoug and TDI-line
I meant with me at the wheel :p

And Sabine's a legend, met her a couple of times :)

Vertigo 1

Yes your right there the balance of the 150 is right for the car, the 184 may make it twitchy or unstable during standing starts. My last A4 had to be treated with care when leaving lights or junctions as t liked to spin out the wheels.

Exactly why I want a test drive, though I'd hope the Quattro would help even out any twitchiness. But whilst I agree with the theories, looking forward to real life reports.