Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SilureMark
  • 2 Post By mjcourtney

Thread: Audi insurance and free GAP cover

5th Gear

Status

Audi insurance and free GAP cover

Got free 7 day cover today for the new ar and got ull year quote which was a good £150 more than cheapest I found from comparison sites.

Audi insurance girl gave the usual spiel on you get lots of extras and better quality product. One thing that did interest me was that in effect they say they give you GAP insurance for first year if car is unfortunately a write off, need to dig around on this with a follow up call as might be a cheap way of getting GAP insurance for bit of piece of mind.

Has anyone else heard this or can confirm that is correct, hopefully this thread will not be as heated as the last insurance thread discussion!!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Yep its true, they will replace at buying price if a total loss claim arises. Its their USP to be fair. I used them when I bought a 2012 S3 but they came nowhere close with the RS3.
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RYes3 View Post
    Yep its true, they will replace at buying price if a total loss claim arises. Its their USP to be fair. I used them when I bought a 2012 S3 but they came nowhere close with the RS3.
    Is that for the 7 day cover, or/and the annual insurance?
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3sportbackMark View Post
    Is that for the 7 day cover, or/and the annual insurance?
    Is for the annual cover and way it was recounted is for a total lose due to damage, not sure if this also applies to theft as well, hence need for a follow up call and advise from the forum.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

4th Gear

Status
    Pretty sure its first year only if continuance from 7 day free is taken.
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RYes3 View Post
    Pretty sure its first year only if continuance from 7 day free is taken.
    yes for GAP part it is first year only which IMHO is the biggest risk in terms of total loss

1st Gear

Status
    You'd be able to get GAP for three years for less than £200 if you shop around. Audi insurance quoted me £1100 fully comp on my RS - went with esure, £420 and lower excess, free courtesy car, etc too. Go figure! I do wonder if anyone goes with them after that 7 day period? Very expensive IMO.

GAP is essential IMO. I had a car stolen almost 3 years into ownership and it paid out the difference between the insurance (which was just about the trade value of the car!) and the original invoice price. I was actually in the process of ordering a new car when it happened, so getting two cheques totalling £36k and banking one of them yet still being able to lob a big deposit at the new car was a result I suppose. Still would have rather not had the car stolen. Scum who did it did get caught - that was the guy from Harlow who was in all the papers having nicked hundreds of cars and got sentenced to a new house, community service and pat on the back by the judge. He then nicks a Boxster, gets caught again and then got 3 years.
    Daveotto likes this.
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

1st Gear

Status
    I thought new for old was standard for the first year on all policies? Certainly the last time I bought a new car it was included as standard with just a 'normal' insurer. It's not something I've checked on more recent policies as it no longer applies to me

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzz View Post
    I thought new for old was standard for the first year on all policies? Certainly the last time I bought a new car it was included as standard with just a 'normal' insurer. It's not something I've checked on more recent policies as it no longer applies to me
    Yep it's standard on mine for the first year. GAP covers for subsequent years.
    Enjoying my 8V

Reverse Gear

Status
    u should get GAP for 3 years with return to invoice, got my GTI covered via car2cover, very comprehensive about £140 for 15k of cover, piece of mind for 3 years to cover the shortfall on insurers valuation should it get nicked/written off

6th Gear

Status
    I'll be getting 4 years cover (ie, while I'm financially tied to the car), and probably return to spec rather than invoice which only costs a small amount more
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    I also got return to spec, as oposed to return to invoice. I think it was £20 more expensive, but effectively means they'll replace the car with the same specification regardless of whether costs have increased since I ordered.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    Yup - and costs already have increased so I've immediately 'lost out' by taking a return to invoice plan!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    fair point on RTI, go for the full monty

Neutral

Status
    My Lexus IS250 was written off four years ago, the car was replaced with a new one to the exact same spec by the insurance company, but with a later reg of course, which was to my advantage. I think the value only becomes an issue when you require a cash payment.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I'll be getting 4 years cover (ie, while I'm financially tied to the car), and probably return to spec rather than invoice which only costs a small amount more
    Thats sounds a very good idea, haven't looked into gap ins. Yet but was intending to nearer the time!
    Think I will do the same, when time comes.

thanks for the info.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilureMark View Post
    You'd be able to get GAP for three years for less than £200 if you shop around. Audi insurance quoted me £1100 fully comp on my RS - went with esure, £420 and lower excess, free courtesy car, etc too. Go figure! I do wonder if anyone goes with them after that 7 day period? Very expensive IMO.

GAP is essential IMO. I had a car stolen almost 3 years into ownership and it paid out the difference between the insurance (which was just about the trade value of the car!) and the original invoice price. I was actually in the process of ordering a new car when it happened, so getting two cheques totalling £36k and banking one of them yet still being able to lob a big deposit at the new car was a result I suppose. Still would have rather not had the car stolen. Scum who did it did get caught - that was the guy from Harlow who was in all the papers having nicked hundreds of cars and got sentenced to a new house, community service and pat on the back by the judge. He then nicks a Boxster, gets caught again and then got 3 years.
    Have already found a returns to spec GAP policy at £178, and will probably go for that. Seems a reasonable company....ALA.co.uk, anyone got any experience with these guys?

We got burgled about 7 years ago, long story cut short was, police done nothing, we found evidence (DNA and CCTV) and the toe rag got caught and got 3.5 years

5th Gear

Status
    I went through ALA for mine too. Don't have any experience of claiming through them, but their cover is good value when compared to other providers.
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    I used ALA too. What I particularly liked was the very clear statement that ALA would pay the difference between the insured value (invoice, replacement or whatever) and the amount paid by your comprehensive insurance policy. Many similar products said they would paid the difference between the 'market value' and the insured value so I could see the potential for a different interpretation of 'market value' by your comprehensive insurers and 'market value' by your GAP insurers.
    2013 A3 SB 2.0TDI S line S tronic, Daytona Grey, Perforated Alcantara/Leather, Comfort package, De-select sports suspension, SD card Sat Nav, Adaptive cruise control, Park system plus, Auto dimming door mirrors, Adaptive headlights, DAB radio, Audi sound system, Through-load facility, Hold assist, Interior lighting package, Heated front seats, Electric lumbar suppport, Non-smoking package, Reversible mat

5th Gear

Status
    Just noticed ALA do not allow deferred poilicy start dates which is a bit off putting as my most likely insurance company provides cover for the first year so might go with directgap.co.uk, anyone used these guys?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yes, no deferred start but did you read ALA's explanation of why they do this? In summary, there are sometimes restrictions on a full payout in the first 12 mths so there could still be a gap but if no gap payout made on a total loss within the first 12 months then they will start a new policy on the replacement vehicle free of charge. I think this maybe 'cake and eat it' territory ....
    Last edited by A3 VBV; 16th August 2013 at 22:33.
    2013 A3 SB 2.0TDI S line S tronic, Daytona Grey, Perforated Alcantara/Leather, Comfort package, De-select sports suspension, SD card Sat Nav, Adaptive cruise control, Park system plus, Auto dimming door mirrors, Adaptive headlights, DAB radio, Audi sound system, Through-load facility, Hold assist, Interior lighting package, Heated front seats, Electric lumbar suppport, Non-smoking package, Reversible mat

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3 VBV View Post
    Yes, no deferred start but did you read ALA's explanation of why they do this? In summary, there are sometimes restrictions on a full payout in the first 12 mths so there could still be a gap but if no gap payout made on a total loss within the first 12 months then they will start a new policy on the replacement vehicle free of charge. I think this maybe 'cake and eat it' territory ....
    Yes, read the explanation and IMHO I thought it wrong that ALA assumed all insurance companies had restrictions, but accept some might. I read the policy document for my potential insurer (Tesco's) and the GAP cover appears very comprehensive and equivalent to stand alone return to spec cover.

NOTE: This is my opinion and not financial advice

5th Gear

Status
    Oh yes, forgot that when we say anything about gap insurance we need to immediately state "in my opinion", or else we have the farce we had a few months ago and there'll be an Audi Gap insurance salesman along to set us back on the straight and narrow
    number3 and Daveotto like this.