How unique is my new A3

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
Put my mind to this whilst floating around on the Lilo over the last day or two and backed it up with a couple of facts and thought you might find it interesting.

Number of cars in the UK: ca 29 million
Number of new cars registered in 2012: ca. 2m
Predicted Number of Audi's to be sold in the uk in 2013 ca. 150k or 12k a month.

Based on the above fairly solid facts I made lots of assumptions to get to the following for my new car (spec in sig) ............ MY NEW AUDI WILL BE ONE IN A MILLION

These assumptions are as follows:

A3's account for 25% of Audi sales = 3000 per month
Split between 3 and 5 door is 50% = 1500 new Sportbacks registered per month
30% are s-line= 450 s-line A3 sport backs registered per month
20% are in Daytona Grey (I think the poll is biased and the real percentage might be lower but for arguments sake have gone with this) = 90 per month

So, the A3 SB version has been on sale for 6 months so there might be as many as 540 A3 SB s-line in Daytona Grey which compared to total uk car population means there are 20 for every million cars on the road, approximately.....no wonder I have only seen one so far.

I actually found this quiet amazing so started thinking about the basic options you can't see such as engine size and manual v auto......

Assuming 50/50 manual auto split = 270 on the road by end of September

Assuming equal split between the 4 engine options at launch, I know more are now available, but makes the maths easier = approximately 70 on the road, which is pretty cool owning something that there is less than 100 of and makes my car not completely unique but fairly close at something like 3 in a million based on total Uk cars......the only other visible difference on my A3 will be roof rails which I am sure will take it to be being something way less than 1 in a million.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fragup and First Ever Audi
Ha ha
i worked out something similar with sportback (50% of A3's) S Line (30% of A3 sales ish), Misano Red (3.95% on colour poll) Panoramic roof (guess at 5% as expensive option although Will up it to 10% as already narrowed it to s line so more likely to spend) deletion of badges (guessed at 15%, as free option) without roof rails (85% guess)
so just look wise one in about 15,000 without going into interiors and engines.
So on daveotto's sales figures Audi will make only about 2 x A3's that look exactly like mine every year in The uk. :)

is that sad, don't need answer, I know! :thumbsup:

Reactions: First Ever Audi
Assuming davettos figure assumptions are right, mine comes in similar to Fragups!, About 2 a year..

Reactions: Fragup
Nice :laugh:
A while ago I did some calculations on the number of combinations of options. I was quite conservative and careful not to include combinations that are not possible. I got to 8 billion!

I think I read somewhere though that sportbacks account for 2/3 of A3s. Also isn't S Line 40%?

I agree though that Daytona Grey is over-represented on here. I've only seen one Daytona on the roads and at least 3 in White, 1 black and 1 red. (Don't as me which white, black or red)

I wonder how common roof rails are. On here I feel quite special not having them, but I'm not so sure of the rest of the world.

Appearance wise my A3 is quite standard (for an S Line). No roof rails, or pano roof. Badges left on. Standard wheels. No privacy glass. I will have the sensor for the adaptive cruise peeking through the grill though.

Reactions: Daveotto and Fragup
Nice :laugh:
A while ago I did some calculations on the number of combinations of options. I was quite conservative and careful not to include combinations that are not possible. I got to 8 billion!

I think I read somewhere though that sportbacks account for 2/3 of A3s. Also isn't S Line 40%?

I agree though that Daytona Grey is over-represented on here. I've only seen one Daytona on the roads and at least 3 in White, 1 black and 1 red. (Don't as me which white, black or red)

I wonder how common roof rails are. On here I feel quite special not having them, but I'm not so sure of the rest of the world.

Appearance wise my A3 is quite standard (for an S Line). No roof rails, or pano roof. Badges left on. Standard wheels. No privacy glass. I will have the sensor for the adaptive cruise peeking through the grill though.

it's the options you don't have as well,l like privacy glass, tow bar, led lights etc, as even a standard new audi becomes quite unique quite quickly.

Reactions: RossR
I willing to bet there's no other car out there with the same set of options as me :p

Nah, there will be people who tick every box, at least I didn't do that!

So let me get this straight, whilst sunning on a lilo, you thought of all that, man, you need to get out more & stop being so sad :)

Ooooops look at me, sitting in 30+ degrees back in Italy with the family & posting on the forum, now whose sad lol.

Reactions: hittchy, TDI-line and Daveotto
you's boys have to much time on youre hands... just wait till yous have taken delivery of youre cars we wont see you posting for weeks as youll be to busy driving it and cleaning it.

so has any one decided on there first mod?

Reactions: Daveotto and NHN
Yeh, Aluminium pedals is on my list of things to buy.

In fact, just ordered them!

As for mods, if there is no USB power outlet in the armrest (separate to the AMI) with the Audi Connect system (since you can't spec the Phone Box if you have Connect), I may try and install one myself. Not sure yet.

In fact, just ordered them!

As for mods, if there is no USB power outlet in the armrest (separate to the AMI) with the Audi Connect system (since you can't spec the Phone Box if you have Connect), I may try and install one myself. Not sure yet.

Where from and how much, assume they will be easy to fit.

Seriously thinking of adding to mine, had them on a A4 hire car a while back and thought they looked very good.

So let me get this straight, whilst sunning on a lilo, you thought of all that, man, you need to get out more & stop being so sad :)

Ooooops look at me, sitting in 30+ degrees back in Italy with the family & posting on the forum, now whose sad lol.

I get bored with Sudoko and the pages on the puzzle book get a bit soggy after a couple of days.

I thought that was for automatics only? Never really use them when they are there anyway, so no

Reactions: Dan76
I willing to bet there's no other car out there with the same set of options as me :p

It is mighty long list of options, your will be definately be one of a kind as scuba was not that common on colours list
with a reversing camera and a tow bar In the list, at least you can see if someone nicks your caravan !:search:

Reactions: Daveotto and jbh
Heh, no caravans for me... it's all glider trailers really that I tow.

Reactions: Fragup
Will do, though I don't intend on towing anything for the first 1000-1500 miles!

it's the options you don't have as well,l like privacy glass, tow bar, led lights etc, as even a standard new audi becomes quite unique quite quickly.
With the myriad of options Audi offer, I think most audis will have their uniqueness for quite a time. As for mine with my colour, I have only seen about a dozen on here. Take into account its an 1.6 SE probably already makes it unique - well on this forum. And who can match cemersons options list? That will probably be unique for life!

Reactions: cemerson
With the myriad of options Audi offer, I think most audis will have their uniqueness for quite a time. As for mine with my colour, I have only seen about a dozen on here. Take into account its an 1.6 SE probably already makes it unique - well on this forum. And who can match cemersons options list? That will probably be unique for life!
a friend of mine has just bought a new Kia Sorento, because it is made in the Far East and shipped over all finished you get a choice of about 7 ( I think he said) levels of trim and a few standard / metallic colours, so you end up with about 35 different variations instead of 8 billion RossR worked out to for an A3 !

a friend of mine has just bought a new Kia Sorento, because it is made in the Far East and shipped over all finished you get a choice of about 7 ( I think he said) levels of trim and a few standard / metallic colours, so you end up with about 35 different variations instead of 8 billion RossR worked out to for an A3 !

gulp!!!!!

I take it he has no imagination... don't get me wrong there's a cracking warranty deal on the new Kias but it still wouldn't be my choice of car unless it was a freebie and gift wrapped

I take it he has no imagination... don't get me wrong there's a cracking warranty deal on the new Kias but it still wouldn't be my choice of car unless it was a freebie and gift wrapped

They have just had their first baby, and chopped in an older estate, I think it seams to be a popular thing when you have a baby to get a 4wd or a people carrier for perceived practicality with buggies etc. A few people I know have done the same with various cars. Wouldn't be my first choice, but looked ok and will do the job for them and I think will be cheap ish to run from what he said.

each to there own.

They have just had their first baby, and chopped in an older estate, I think it seams to be a popular thing when you have a baby to get a 4wd or a people carrier for perceived practicality with buggies etc. A few people I know have done the same with various cars. Wouldn't be my first choice, but looked ok and will do the job for them and I think will be cheap ish to run from what he said.

each to there own.

thats why I avoid parking next to 4wd and people carriers in car parks as many of the occupants are little people

Does anyone know if these are easy to fit, I heard that the 8P ones were a bit tricky

From what I read elsewhere on here (can't remember where), I got the impression they were a bit fiddly but nothing too bad. Only have to do it once, I'm sure I'll manage!

each to there own.
yea the old thoughts of protect you're kids put them in a 4x4... my misses is happy with her Sharan it has 7 seats and plenty of space for our youngest buggies and stuff... the thing is she uses all 7 seats most of the time when shes out with it.
I cant understand folk that rush out and buy a 4x4 when they have kids... does it make them fell any safer? can they park it any better? do they really need a 4x4? I live rural were 8 miles from the nearest main town and when it snows up here it can get pretty bad.. that's the only time I consider getting the hilux out to use.

Dave, i like your long winded working out and i like the spec of your car! so much so i might just buy one of my own and make yours only half as unique :D

muhahahaha

Reactions: Fragup, Daveotto and mjcourtney
Dave, i like your long winded working out and i like the spec of your car! so much so i might just buy one of my own and make yours only half as unique :D

muhahahaha

Lmao -Now that would be a compliment, only problem is I would have to kill you :gun2:

Resurrecting this thread to claim my new S3 SB (Ibis White) due BW 25 may well be the first one of this colour in the country at the time I take delivery and at worse might only be about half a dozen will certainly be more Sepang's :)

Reactions: AndyB-S3, Jassyo06 and veeeight