• 1 Post By Schizophonic
  • 1 Post By Schizophonic
  • 2 Post By hittchy
  • 1 Post By markwiggy

Thread: Best drive select setting for max mpg

Reverse Gear

Status

Best drive select setting for max mpg

Which drive select setting is giving you best mpg? I seem to get better consumption when set to auto rather than efficiency. What have others found?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I have mostly used dynamic and on my usual run of 40 miles to work on single carriageway been getting around 48mpg.

I changed to auto last week and have been getting 52mpg and on one journey got 55mpg!
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm on Auto and get 50mpg on my usual commute. A trip to Devon last week returned 55mpg over the week.

I tend to drive to make swift progress rather than good mpg so I'm impressed with it so far. It's 10mpg up on the A4 it replaced.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    On the Auto mode and drive MPG is what it is, power and fun is better than MPG on the A3"s let's rock...

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

5th Gear

Status
    Can see myself only ever using dynamic or auto, would have gone for a smaller engine if I were worried about MPG. Might put it in efficiency mode if the Mrs uses it, just to take the edge off the acceleration and torque as she is not a power/ speed freak.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

1st Gear

Status
    Last week I was behind (all over) an A5 3 litter the fun I had was good knowing I was not far shins him on acceleration but behind him on other parts of the road, these A3's are worth the fun factor, thank goodness I have the Q5 to keep me under control also...

Daveotto,
    you will like your new A3 in September.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

Reverse Gear

Status
    Glad you are having fun but how does your comment answer my question?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.6tdi View Post
    Glad you are having fun but how does your comment answer my question?
    Welcome to the forum, maybe you need to just go with the flow a little, lots of good info and good people on here, Dieseldoug has just expressed an opinion that mpg is not that important for him, maybe you could share your own mpg experience and driving style to aid the debate!!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Welcome to the forum, maybe you need to just go with the flow a little, lots of good info and good people on here, Dieseldoug has just expressed an opinion that mpg is not that important for him, maybe you could share your own mpg experience and driving style to aid the debate!!
    i agreed, I was a bit like you to start with and got frustrated as threads have a habit of going off on tangents, so go with the flow and be patient and chip away and you will find out all you need to know. Chill and enjoy, there's helpful & funny people on here !
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    My previous Company car was a 8P A3 2.0tdi which was great and they paid my fuel bills in full, but when the lease came up for renewal the Company changed the scheme and now give a mileage allowance so I went for the 1.6tdi attracted by the potential better mpg. I need to maximise my mpg to make sure my costs are covered by the Company allowance hence my question. Most of my Company mileage is on the motorway. At the moment I'm averaging 58mpg with 6000 miles on the clock since new. I'm hoping it improves to low 60s. I dont think I will ever achieve the advertised 70s.

5th Gear

Status
    Honest John gives your mpg as 54.7 so if you are getting close on 58mpg you are not going to get it much higher unless you drive around at 55mph on those motorway runs.

2nd Gear

Status
    On my 8 mile commute to work, I'm getting about 40.1mpg for my 1.4TFSI. On Dynamic.

When I first had the car, I was heavy footed and changed gears quite late due to coming from a Honda. The car is more than capable of handling on low revs and getting to the power when needed.
    Redgrouse likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizophonic View Post
    On my 8 mile commute to work, I'm getting about 40.1mpg for my 1.4TFSI. On Dynamic.

When I first had the car, I was heavy footed and changed gears quite late due to coming from a Honda. The car is more than capable of handling on low revs and getting to the power when needed.
    what Honda did you have ? as i am coming from a crz and before that a 2.2 ltr diesel civic s type gt and get a 1.4 cod and wonder how you found the difference Honda to Audi as a comparison ?
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragup View Post
    what Honda did you have ? as i am coming from a crz and before that a 2.2 ltr diesel civic s type gt and get a 1.4 cod and wonder how you found the difference Honda to Audi as a comparison ?
    I had an EP1.

The audi and Honda are in 2 different leagues. My car was years behind the Audi as you can expect, it didn't even have a clock!
    In terms of driving style, in the Honda to get the power you have to keep the high revs as you know but with any of the petrol engines, the turbo does kick in very nicely and has the power you need.

Hope that helps.
    Fragup likes this.

Third Gear

Status

My commute is about the same distance, I usually see about 54mpg sometimes 58 mpg in Dynamic mode, considering this includes warm up and the car has only covered about 1600 miles I am very pleased with these figures.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markwiggy View Post
    My commute is about the same distance, I usually see about 54mpg sometimes 58 mpg in Dynamic mode, considering this includes warm up and the car has only covered about 1600 miles I am very pleased with these figures.

Mark
    Shame on you both. 8 miles!! You should be cycling and saving trees!
    Daveotto and Fragup like this.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.6tdi View Post
    At the moment I'm averaging 58mpg with 6000 miles on the clock since new. I'm hoping it improves to low 60s. I dont think I will ever achieve the advertised 70s.
    I think it would be unrealistic to expect to achieve the 'advertised' figures. They're achieved on a rolling road in clinical conditions purely to allow fair comparisons between various makes and models.

What Car's True MPG and Honest John's Real MPG will give a far more accurate indication of what you are likely to achieve day-to-day. What you're achieving seems realistic as stated above.

Finally, to 'answer your question' it's unlikely to make any difference what 'drive select' option you choose. There's no substitute for changing your driving style. There's plenty of information on the web giving tips on how to drive more economically. Ditching unnecessary luggage, tyre pressures, anticipating and reading road conditions are going to have more impact than a switch on the dash.

Third Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hittchy View Post
    Shame on you both. 8 miles!! You should be cycling and saving trees!
    lol, funny you should say that, I usually do cycle to work 2-3 times per week.

Mark
    hittchy likes this.
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hittchy View Post
    I think it would be unrealistic to expect to achieve the 'advertised' figures. They're achieved on a rolling road in clinical conditions purely to allow fair comparisons between various makes and models.

What Car's True MPG and Honest John's Real MPG will give a far more accurate indication of what you are likely to achieve day-to-day. What you're achieving seems realistic as stated above.

Finally, to 'answer your question' it's unlikely to make any difference what 'drive select' option you choose. There's no substitute for changing your driving style. There's plenty of information on the web giving tips on how to drive more economically. Ditching unnecessary luggage, tyre pressures, anticipating and reading road conditions are going to have more impact than a switch on the dash.
    Definitely agree with this... I think modern cars, especially diesel with stop/start technology have a lot of potential for high mpg if driven "correctly". Driving style is important.
    A3 2.0 TDI S Line Daytona Grey with Comfort Pack and SD Sat Nav. LOVE IT !!!!!