Ready to order S3 - my experiences & spec

paullowther

Reaction score
Hi guys, first things first... thanks for the wealth of information you're all posting up it's been incredibly helpful! This is my first post!

I'm about to put a deposit down on the new S3 this week and I'd like to share some information some of you might find useful and interesting!

Here's the spec I'm going for:
  • S3 S Tronic (3 door)
  • Monsoon Grey
  • 5-Twin-Spoke "Star" design anthracite alloys
  • Haven't yet decided on whether to go lunar silver or black upholstery, but I definitely want the alcantara material (i think it breaks up the interior nicely - your thoughts?)
  • Extended mono-pur interior finish
  • Comfort package
  • Privacy glass
  • LED headlights
  • (Uming and Ahing about the 3D design black inlays)
  • Non-smoking package
  • Interior lighting package
  • Technology pack
  • B&O sound system
I think it's a pretty well rounded spec, but I'm a gadget freak so some of the options ticked themselves.

Drivethedeal.com managed to save me £3036, which was considerably more than bettercardeal and a bit better than orangewheels.

I've been quoted December delivery if I order this week.

I'm looking at putting a £6K deposit down and finance over 48 months. This equates to £370 a month roughly.

I hope this helps some people, let me know your thoughts!

Paul

Last edited:
Get your delivery date in writing and an understanding of the process should it be missed.
My SQ5 had a major **** up in the order process and Sept delivery is now March next year.
I went through DtD and though not their fault, it makes you wonder where you sit in the pecking order when you ho through a broker...

Last edited:
Interesting to know. I've been calling around to see if any local dealers will match the prices that I got from dtd, so far only hatfield and hitchin have come back to me and both said not a chance! I'll keep trying though!

"I'm looking at putting a £6K deposit down and finance over 48 months. This equates to £370 a month roughly."

That sounds like a good deal. Is that PCP or HP? What APR?

I'l look to replace my 8P S3 as soon as the SB is out :)

That was PCP at 6.4% APR. The residual was hovering around the £17k mark if I remember rightly.

I was given a quote for the 1.8 TFSI but because I added more options on that car it worked out considerably more expensive!

In fact I found that even when I added £5k worth of options the residual value of the car didn't rise by more than £500!

Nice one, sounds like a good deal. Bit heavy on deposit for a PCP though? I thought the most should be around 10%?

I've always read that the bigger the deposit the better?

Also, I've just turned 23 so I don't have a particularly long credit history, as such I wanted to try improve my chances of being accepted for finance by putting down a bigger deposit. Plus i'm mostly interested in lowering the monthly payments!

There is a limit to how much they will let you put down but it's fairly high. My deposit is about 20%.

Get your delivery date in writing and an understanding of the process should it be missed.
My SQ5 had a major **** up in the order process and Sept delivery is now March next year.
I went through DtD and though not their fault, it makes you wonder where you sit in the pecking order when you ho through a broker...

No way !!!

geeeez mate, makes my delay for the s5 from sept to nov seem nothing compared to that balls up.

what a downer.

No way !!!

geeeez mate, makes my delay for the s5 from sept to nov seem nothing compared to that balls up.

what a downer.

Yup proper pee'd off :(
Wife's car and is needed in October when our second child arrives. Audi UK involved now so will see what happens.
Saw my first SQ5 on the road today, in Estoril. It looked awesome... Which obviously pee'd me off more!

Yup proper pee'd off :(
Wife's car and is needed in October when our second child arrives. Audi UK involved now so will see what happens.
Saw my first SQ5 on the road today, in Estoril. It looked awesome... Which obviously pee'd me off more!

loving the 'estoril' feedback ... I've still not seen it and at this rate the 1st time I will see it will be on my car !!!
is that a risk ?
i don't think so :)
I'm hoping it will 'add' to the occasion of picking up the new car.

Hopefully with you becoming a 2 Audi car household this may help your case in Audi sorting you out.
keep us posted mate.

Tell me about it. I'm quite confident that it will be worth more than that however at that point so I'll use it as part of my next deposit!

My PCP had the residual after 4 years at £11k!

If that was the case with my car I'd be paying about another £150 a month which I really didn't want! The dealer said for every extra £1000 you're financing I can expect to add £25 a month to my payments.

Yep - guess the S3s are just worth more than the A3s!

Tell me about it. I'm quite confident that it will be worth more than that however at that point so I'll use it as part of my next deposit!

Oh yeah it will be, possibly as much as £5-6k which effectively cancels out your deposit. Still means you're spending £370 a month for four years, plus petrol, insurance, servicing, tyres and so on. It's a lot of wonga but I guess we can't take it with us :)

17k end balance and over £17k @ £370 per month over 48.... Plus for me being 23 £1100 a year insurance and annual cost of tyres and servicing around £1500 plus my shell euro card bill.....hmmm glad I bought the 2.0 tdi s line now and didnt wait for s3.
Total nearly £44k (approx)

You could buy an 8p3 s tronic on a 58 for as little as £14k now and still run my tdi for less for both :-D

this may be the option for me..... However if I could warrant it I would go for 8v s3!

Sean

17k end balance and over £17k @ £370 per month over 48.... Plus for me being 23 £1100 a year insurance and annual cost of tyres and servicing around £1500 plus my shell euro card bill.....hmmm glad I bought the 2.0 tdi s line now and didnt wait for s3.
Total nearly £44k (approx)

It is a lot of dollar I know but I work my **** off and I've loved cars ever since I was a young boy. This is my first real opportunity to go ahead and get something I've dreamt of for years! Worth any money in my book!

Each to their own and I hope you enjoy it :)

Personally if I was blowing that kind of cash I'd find myself a mint B7 RS4 and spend what was left on fuel :D

Reactions: s33nyboy12
It is a lot of dollar I know but I work my **** off and I've loved cars ever since I was a young boy. This is my first real opportunity to go ahead and get something I've dreamt of for years! Worth any money in my book!

Here here - Life can change so suddenly and is short and sometimes you just got to push and do some things you really want. The S3 really gives incredible performance yet balances it with practicality. It's actually quite a sensible choice :icon_thumright:

I agree it's a nice car but I like the thought of waltzing about in my 63 plate. Plus at 23 I don't think it suits my age as well as a 3dr hatch... and don't get me started on insurance costs for one of those!

UPDATE: After seeing the monsoon grey on the road I actually thought it was a bit too silvery so I've opted against it! I suspect I'll be part of the Estoril blue club from here-on-in, although this white one looks pretty decent. Especially with the black pano roof. White s3

Personally if I was blowing that kind of cash I'd find myself a mint B7 RS4 and spend what was left on fuel :D

Nah... at £44k you're into R8 territory nowadays. That'd be my weapon of choice!

Same engine, different frock.

Just put my order in for the new S3 through drivethedeal, waiting on Audi to run a credit check now before getting the go ahead. Fingers crossed all goes well!

Hi guys, first things first... thanks for the wealth of information you're all posting up it's been incredibly helpful! This is my first post!

I'm about to put a deposit down on the new S3 this week and I'd like to share some information some of you might find useful and interesting!

Here's the spec I'm going for:
  • S3 S Tronic (3 door)
  • Monsoon Grey
  • 5-Twin-Spoke "Star" design anthracite alloys
  • Haven't yet decided on whether to go lunar silver or black upholstery, but I definitely want the alcantara material (i think it breaks up the interior nicely - your thoughts?)
  • Extended mono-pur interior finish
  • Comfort package
  • Privacy glass
  • LED headlights
  • (Uming and Ahing about the 3D design black inlays)
  • Non-smoking package
  • Interior lighting package
  • Technology pack
  • B&O sound system
I think it's a pretty well rounded spec, but I'm a gadget freak so some of the options ticked themselves.

Drivethedeal.com managed to save me £3036, which was considerably more than bettercardeal and a bit better than orangewheels.

I've been quoted December delivery if I order this week.

I'm looking at putting a £6K deposit down and finance over 48 months. This equates to £370 a month roughly.

I hope this helps some people, let me know your thoughts!

Paul

Hi,

I just got mine with grey alcantara and have to say its really nice. And the Bang & Olufsen system is amazing :thumbsup:

Regards,
Tom

All systems go! Order has now been placed! BUZZING!

happy for you.
Nice spec,
monsoon grey is a great colour with clean, i think there is a video on here somewhere of on in a show room / driving about and looks amazing.

I should probably update my original post... I've actually chosen the Estroil Blue, I liked the thought of having an S only colour. Plus I think it will stand out more on the roads.

Reactions: Sandra
I should probably update my original post... I've actually chosen the Estroil Blue, I liked the thought of having an S only colour. Plus I think it will stand out more on the roads.

Oh well you'll have to make do with that then !

hehe

another great colour, S3 exclusive so you won't look like the rest of us slow coaches,
as long as you don't change to beluga brown!
I'm afraid I can't even pretend to like that colour, why would anyone choose it? :puke2:

fantastic news Paul. :) x

It's a hard life ey!

Even the name 'Beluga Brown' makes me mini sick in my mouth. It wouldn't surprise me if it was an inside joke with the Audi Marketing Department.

On a brighter note I've just noticed I'm now in neurtral gear! At least I'm not going backwards on this forum anymore.

another 57 posts and you be in first gear, lol. :) We can start your countdown thread whenever you like Paul. I have plenty of music to see you through the waiting period. :) x

paullowther:1949662 said:

Good call.

Which would be a ****** BIG fuel bill (having owned an RS4) I can tell you!!!

I agree it's a nice car but I like the thought of waltzing about in my 63 plate. Plus at 23 I don't think it suits my age as well as a 3dr hatch... and don't get me started on insurance costs for one of those!

23....23!

How much is the insurance?!?