About to order new A3 S-Line Sportback - Alcantara or NappaLeather Seats?

M_D_O_London

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have been a long-time follower of the forum but first time poster!

I'm looking to place an A3 Sportback S-Line order in the next day or so to replace my trusty Mk6 Golf . I'm looking to keep this car long-term (5+ years at least) so am keen to make the right spec choices. I'm quite a low-mileage driver and live in the urban-sprawl of London so a petrol-auto suits me best.

My question is - which seats are the best to go for? I quite like the S-Line Alcantara choice but haven't been able to sit in one in the dealer to get a proper feel for it. It's a choice between this and the Nappa Leather.

Also - if anyone has the Nappa leather, have you had any wear / sagging issues at all?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Spec I'm looking at is:

A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Line S-Tronic

* Ice Silver - Metallic
* Aluminium Roof Rails
* Audi Side-Assist
* Audi Sound System
* Comfort Pack (with Adaptive Cruise Control, Parking System Plus and Park Assist)
* Delete Sports Suspension
* Electric Adjustable / Heated / Folding Door Mirrors
* Extended Interior Elements Mono-Pur
* Fine Nappa Leather (or Alcantara)
* Heated Front Seats
* Hill-Hold Assist
* Interior Light Package
* Non-smoking package
* Panoramic Glass Sunroof
* Privacy Glass
* Reversing Camera
* Technology Package
* Through-Load System
* Tyre Pressure Monitor

I have full Nappa leather in my current car (TT), and it is very comfortable. There has been some sagging I've noticed over time (I've had the car almost 5 years), plus a little bit of discolouration. I've also found that the leather does get very warm in the summer if the car is left in the sun! For these reasons I've stuck with the cloth/half leather for the new order...

I have full Nappa leather in my current car (TT), and it is very comfortable. There has been some sagging I've noticed over time (I've had the car almost 5 years), plus a little bit of discolouration. I've also found that the leather does get very warm in the summer if the car is left in the sun! For these reasons I've stuck with the cloth/half leather for the new order...

I chose to keep the half leather for the same reason. Although did consider the alcantara though. Also with spirited driving you can slide about a bit on full leather.

Nice spec though wow! :)

Perforated Alcantara for sure. Leather can be cold and in my view a bit plain looking. I am very pleased with how classy this option looks in my car and the comfort of the standard S line seats.

yes deffo' alcantara looks and feels great on s'line i also had it on my last car and it wears well

smk82, 97catalunya, A3 VBV, dav63 - thanks very much for your thoughts on this.

I've decided to play it safe and go for the Alcantara option. I've got similar seats on my current Mk6 Golf GT (an alcantara / cloth combo) and it's held up pretty well. Not too cold in winter and not too hot in summer.

Order is now placed - and have been told to expect delivery towards end of Nov, early Dec, (although sales person did say this date could move forward). Only other amendment to spec has been to now include sports suspension.

I'm sure the wait will be worth it!

A good choice. I had alcantara in my A4 which I had for just over three years and 82,000 miles on the clock when I changed to my A3.
The seats were as good as new at that time and miles.

I specced the same in the A3 and agree that they are not cold in winter nor too hot in summer.

No probs' and good choice, you won't be sorry!

IMG_1807.jpg

End of thread :D

Reactions: TDI-line and Coxy234
PS. Regards your original spec - very nice but personally I'd ditch the heated seats and reversing camera and use the money to get the B&O sound instead :)

PS. Regards your original spec - very nice but personally I'd ditch the heated seats and reversing camera and use the money to get the B&O sound instead :)

Have to agree. :icon_thumright:

Why go for the non smoking package?

The ash tray is a very useful coin/ key holder as has been mentioned many times. If you don't like the ash tray take it out and then you pretty much have the non smoking package.

Could you point me to where the non-smokers packages has been discussed before? I'd like to know the differences between the two.

Could you point me to where the non-smokers packages has been discussed before? I'd like to know the differences between the two.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-8v-chassis/192841-non-smokers-pack-8v.html
(Thread, but not all info and no pics )

I have gone for non smokers pack, it just takes the ashtray out (black cup with a sliver lid that sits in one of the cup holders) which some people use for change / keys etc. and replaces the black plastic lighter with a chrome 12v socket in the front and i think black plastic in the back (only bit I'm not certain of?) if you have one.
i have gone for interior lights pack which does the cool white light rings round the cup holders, but because the ashtray (cup) fills one of the spaces, it covers the lights up a bit, so I would have taken out anyway and i didn't particularly want the cup at home, I also much prefer the look of the chrome 12v socket, as it matches the climate control dials.
But if you want the cup then keep smokers pack and take out your self, so is a very minor change.

smoking pack
Audi A3 e-tron Concept picture # 19 of 53, Interior, MY 2013, 1600x1200

pack non smoking pack
2013 Audi A3 Interior (4) – Car Reviews, Pictures and Videos

best photos I could find quickly

n.b back to thread alcantara looks really good in that photo, leather for me too cold in winter (then you got to have heated seats which is more money) / hot in the summer when you don't want it. From me standard s line part cloth is next best to alcantara and nearly as good.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDI-line
Cheers pal that was dead useful, I've done the same as you and gone for non-smokers. I don't really need a pot for change I prefer to only carry notes :cool:

Regarding the alcantara does anybody have any opinions with black vs lunar silver? I can't decide!

Order now updated to include the B&O. I was undecided about this earlier - but being a bit of an audiophile it makes good sense!

Have elected to keep the heated seats and reversing camera, (essential for reversing into my narrow driveway).

Order now updated to include the B&O. I was undecided about this earlier - but being a bit of an audiophile it makes good sense!

Have elected to keep the heated seats and reversing camera, (essential for reversing into my narrow driveway).

We all need a warm bottom when reversing onto our driveways :jester:

Reactions: Sander and Fragup
Oh dear - I didn't quite word that one too well did I :blink:

On another note, is there much value in adding the electric lumbar support? I have a simple manual lumbar adjustment on my current vehicle but have never really needed to use it.