• 1 Post By dieseldoug
  • 2 Post By hittchy
  • 1 Post By dieseldoug
  • 1 Post By glamic26
  • 1 Post By jet_andy

Thread: Thoughts about the Fuel Gauge?

1st Gear

Status
    Balmedie(next to Donald Trump's Controversial Golf Course), Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Thoughts about the Fuel Gauge?

Thought i would put this one out to see how you folks are getting on with the LED fuel gauge, how it changes and how it represents fuel remaining.

Example:

Fuel tank is 50 L. At the weekend, 2 out of LED were out, theoretically representing 1/4 tank used with 3/4 remaining. So you would think that the tank would take around 12L to top up......22L later it was full....and considering its a 50L, tank this is what you would expect from half tank...

I don't have any issues with the MPG or fuel costs and if i want to see the range i just use the Efficiency program....i am just slightly confused by the LED's and what they represent. I've done maybe 150 miles since fueling and as yet, none of the LED's have gone out, which of course doesn't match with the distance to empty.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same comments.....just out of interest
    Now driving: A3 8V Sportback in Glacier White. 1.4 TFSI SE

Interior Light Pack
    Interior Aluminium Elements
    Upgraded 17" Alloys

Free DAB as standard as of April 2013 sure was!!
    Cheerio: 2.0 TDCI Zetec Mondeo (should have been a good car but hasn't )

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I would like the leds to be more fine or smaller bars than the current version. It's difficult to judge at the moment snd I've only refilled a handful of times where in my old car I know how much I can drive on (old needle type)

Suppose it's getting us to it, but anyone tried to get to 0 on the computer and continue running their car?
    First Ever Audi likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Yes I've noticed this too. The lights don't really accurately represent the percentage of fuel left. At the opposite end of the scale my fuel light came on last week and I put in just £20 worth of fuel, and the needle shot up to over half full, yet I'd clearly added only around 1/3rd of a tank of fuel. In my experience this means the fuel gauge takes forever to drop the first digit, but then rapidly drops after the 2nd or 3rd LED has extinguished, almost a logarithmic scale!
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Must admit i noticed that when i had a test drive for the weekend. I think like any car, it can take a while to get used to how the fuel gauge goes down with the tank. For example my 8P diesel stays 100% full until about 100-120 miles then slowly starts to come down. I've got used to this over the years.

What about the trip computer? does that not effectively make the fuel gauge a bit redundant anyway?

6th Gear

Status
    My current car does the same thing (though has 16 LCD segments to represent it rather than 8) - stays showing 'full' for quite a while, then starts to drop. Even at the low end it does this - shows empty when there is quite a bit left. It's like there is a margin at each end and the guage only measures the 'middle' bit.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizophonic View Post
    I would like the leds to be more fine or smaller bars than the current version. It's difficult to judge at the moment snd I've only refilled a handful of times where in my old car I know how much I can drive on (old needle type)

Suppose it's getting us to it, but anyone tried to get to 0 on the computer and continue running their car?
    With my demo car I did manage to get it to 0 and continue for a further 8 mile back to the Audi Garage, I was slightly nervous and ran in eco mode all the way back. Not good when all you want to do it wack it in dynamic and test the engine
    Audi A3 Sportback 1.4 COD S Line
    Glacier White, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Comfort Package, Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, SD Sat Nav.

6th Gear

Status
    You can do about 50 or 60 miles on an "empty" tank in my car!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Interesting thread as I have been a curious how I would get on with this too (build week 36).

Cemerson - if you can do 50+ miles from the gauge showing empty then not only is the gauge limited in terms of only being able to show 8 levels it can show but also supports the idea that it seems to measure "middle of the tank".

With the 8v having a slightly smaller tank (50L) than previous it does suggest those (like me) who go from full to vapour will be filling up more frequently as there is more guesswork when the tank is running low and off the gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Enjoying my 8V

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    Cemerson - if you can do 50+ miles from the gauge showing empty then not only is the gauge limited in terms of only being able to show 8 levels it can show but also supports the idea that it seems to measure "middle of the tank".
    This is on my current car - I don't have my A3 yet.

5th Gear

Status
    I am confused by all this, or is the sun getting to my head whilst on holiday.

Petrol gauges, dial or LED, have never been that accurate and will nearly always differ slightly car to car. My current 8P has A driver information Display and I can toggle through the trip computer and get miles to empty, in addition I get refuel warning light approx 50 miles to empty which is pretty accurate as I have taken it to less than 10 miles and filled up with nearly 55 litres(bigger tank on 8P).

i am assuming the new car will display the same via the DIS and/or MMI rendering the fuel gauge useless, which in effect is what it has been on my current 8P, that is I rarely ever look at it.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2nd Gear

Status
    I do see your point daveotto but on my current A3 with analogue needle I have learned over time that:

Needle hardover = full or within 5 litres
    Full = ~8 litres used
    3/4 dial = 2/3 full
    2/3 dial = 1/2 full
    Etc...... And down to
    bottom of red = ~52 litres.
    25 miles after DIS states 0 but wouldn't risk further.
    .....and all the estimates in between.

DIS and miles to empty is also vague and seems to accelerate between a stated range of 190 miles at a stated half full when in reality it is nearer 120 miles.

I don't think anyone is expecting absolute accuracy. I had a Rover 200 back in '96 (no digs please) that showed empty when it still had 1/3 tank.

.....but with a gauge there are all the ranges in between the markers and not just the 8 LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    Balmedie(next to Donald Trump's Controversial Golf Course), Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Lots of good discussion chaps that's the best thing about this forum!

Interior Light Pack
    Upgraded 17" Alloys

6th Gear

Status
    I'm pretty sure when I had an 8P company car, although it had a dial, it was digitally driven and still went in 'steps', so just as accurate really

1st Gear

Status
    There's a big safety margin built into the gauges around minimum and with the 'miles to go calculation', because one thing you really do not want to do is run a diesel out of fuel. And I doubt they'd have a differently calibrated gauge for a petrol.
    First Ever Audi and mj13 like this.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I'm pretty sure when I had an 8P company car, although it had a dial, it was digitally driven and still went in 'steps', so just as accurate really
    my 8P is analogue
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

1st Gear

Status
    I added 26 litres of fuel with 2 blocks lit on the fuel guage and it lit up all the way with only a single (top) block unlit.

Neutral

Status
    Must admit that within 2 weeks of getting my 8V TFSI I ran the tank empty and had to get a can of fuel bought out by a work colleague That was within 15 miles of the DIS showing 0 miles, my previous A5 would get over 30 after 0 although I never ran out in that!

Moral of the story - don't let it get too low

1st Gear

Status
    You can always ask the dealer to adjust the float to calibrate the gauge for you but this won't be done under warranty unless its way out. The good thing is it won't run dry at empty on the gauge, but how many people a actually over fill their cars as in fuelling up to the neck as this is not counted in the gauge. Access to the sender may be hard and having to drop the tank but its easy done if you know what your doing.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

1st Gear

Status
    Don't forget that the top of the gauge will always last longer, due to the filler tube, which in some cases hold a fair amount of fuel.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have also been annoyed by this. I filled the tank up last weekend before 90 mile drive to Sheffield and back. When I left the 'miles left' was at 450. When I arrived 90 miles later it was at 455 and the tank was still showing full! When I got back it was at 410 and the fuel gauge had lost just 1 bar from 8. Naively I took this to mean that after 180 miles if I had 410 left I would do around 590 on that tank. However after the fuel gauge dropped below half (at around 270 driven and showing 260 remaining, so pretty much half on those stats) the miles left dropped about 10 miles for every 5 I drove and the bars on the fuel gauge went down far quicker. The 'please refill' came up at 400 miles with an estimated 50 remaining! Not overly useful I found! I reckon I am on half a tank left when only the first two bars of the fuel gauge are gone.

1st Gear

Status
    It's a challenge isn't it!

Interior Light Pack
    Upgraded 17" Alloys

1st Gear

Status
    Glamic26

It may be worth checking after a 100 mile run again against fuel used from full tank that will see how far out you are, but fill the car using the gauge and not to the neck. This may help the confusion in the tank to miles and the opposite on the last 2 bars it's 50 litre tank see what intakes to refil then you can work out what the neck holds, I bet this may be 3-5 liters.

Doug

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

3rd Gear

Status
    Never found it to be a problem to be honest. When it's empty I fill it and then drive until the light comes on again. The variations in between are pretty much irrelevant to me.

As Davotto said though, I tend to use the DIS to plan if I have enough for my journey. It does vary in mileage estimated though depending on how the car is driven (which it should).
    dieseldoug and Daveotto like this.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Same here. It's not a problem at all for me. Just use the computer readout which is more reliable.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hittchy View Post
    Never found it to be a problem to be honest. When it's empty I fill it and then drive until the light comes on again. The variations in between are pretty much irrelevant to me.

As Davotto said though, I tend to use the DIS to plan if I have enough for my journey. It does vary in mileage estimated though depending on how the car is driven (which it should).
    i have found the DIS on my 8P to be pretty accurate if I am driving in my normal style to and from work or on regular journeys. Where it fouls up is if you change you styles from driving like grandpa and then driving like a boy racer. At the end of the day it estimates your range/miles to empty based on your most recent driving style so if you want to prove it wrong it's pretty easy.

1st Gear

Status
    Same here if it needs fuel then fill it up, never really drive for the MPG figures I just drive it to enjoy it quite happy to have 30 MPG that means I have nailed it.
    Daveotto likes this.

Neutral

Status
    I think a 8 part LCD gauge would annoy me compared to an analogue dial but as others have said I guess you'd get used to it. I'm from the fill it up when it enters the 'red' school of thought, so would probably fill when down to 1 block as a rule.

Slightly off topic but, since the S3 has the turbo boost pressure gauge using the 8 part LCD fuel gauge on the A3, I wonder where you get the fuel levels on the S3?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mxnrg View Post

Slightly off topic but, since the S3 has the turbo boost pressure gauge using the 8 part LCD fuel gauge on the A3, I wonder where you get the fuel levels on the S3?
    That's a very good point!
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mxnrg View Post

The fuel gauge on the S3 is on the side with the Speedo, same as the A3. On the S3 they have just replaced the engine temperature gauge with a boost one, if it overheated it'll probably have the red temperature warning come up on the DIS.
    Previous Car - Audi A3 (8P) S-Line SB 2.0 TFSI
    Previous Car - Audi A1 S-Line 1.2 TFSI /Xenon Light Pack / 18" 7 Twin Spoke Alloys / Cruise Control.
    Current Car - Audi A3 (8V) S-Line 1.2 TFSI / Glacier White / S-Line Suspension / Interior Light Pack / De-Badged /
    5 Year Warranty
    / Ordered 2nd July 13 / Build Week 36 / Picked Up 20th Sep 13

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by f1nny View Post
    The fuel gauge on the S3 is on the side with the Speedo, same as the A3. On the S3 they have just replaced the engine temperature gauge with a boost one, if it overheated it'll probably have the red temperature warning come up on the DIS.
    That's a shame, you would think with a performance car they would add dials for extra drama and theatre, even if it was an extra screen on the MMI like they do on the Japanese cars.
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    That's a shame, you would think with a performance car they would add dials for extra drama and theatre, even if it was an extra screen on the MMI like they do on the Japanese cars.
    all part of the understated quality that goes with the brand, even the R8 has the standard dial and gauge arrangement

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    all part of the understated quality that goes with the brand, even the R8 has the standard dial and gauge arrangement
    Yeah I suppose your right but still a shame though. I think the dash is beautiful and uncluttered, but just a bit of software on the MMI with analogue style gauges to show boost pressure, intercooler temp etc would add drama. Add an analogue style fuel gauge too would solve another issue

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by f1nny View Post
    Yep, just read a review and realised they had used the temp gauge not the fuel one, oops.
    2010 A5 Sportback 211PS 2.0T Quattro

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've watched this last tank very carefully and here is when each of my 8 bars disappeared.

1=130miles
    2=185miles
    3=220miles
    4=270miles
    5=315miles
    6=365miles
    7=400miles
    8=440miles.

With the exception of the first bar most seem to be fairly consistent (35-55miles) although with it being the same type of driving for the whole tanks I don't understand why there is still a 20mile difference in some.

The 130miles for the first bar still annoys me though as it makes the whole bar system pointless. When my fuel tank is showing 1/8 empty it has actually used 30% of my mileage! I just don't understand how with 21century sensors this isn't accurate to the millilitre! Or it could at least have some sort of learning built in to the computer. For example it knows on average I can do 440 miles to the tank (or until the last bar starts flashing) and so on the next tank it should assume that each bar is worth 55 miles!

1st Gear

Status
    The sensor will be accurate - it's just the electronics that has to split it into only 8 segments rather than show on an analogue gauge.

Personally I don't have much of an issue, I always fill my tank, and will do it as convenient when on the last one or two segments. What it reads between full and empty don't really matter - the computer will give rough miles left in tank anyway - which of course is based on the current mpg - averaged over a short period.
    hittchy likes this.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

1st Gear

Status
    I followed your example for only 2 bars and got identical results:

1=130 miles
    2=182 miles

I filled it to brim just as the 2nd bar dropped and it took 18.75 Litres. I suspect as Diesel Doug suggested a while ago that the reason for getting so many miles from the first bar is to do with the amount of fuel in the neck..I managed 185 Miles from the 18.75 L so i'm very happy with that...incredibly saving £20 per month on fuel compared to my Mondeo Diesel

Interior Light Pack
    Upgraded 17" Alloys