4G is coming

Looks like that's for the American market though...

Not that I've seen mention of frequencies, so not sure which (if any) networks it'd work on in the UK. I guess Audi UK might decide to let us know if they're feeling kind one day ;-)

That one says 2015 though. I'm not too fussed, 3G will be fine.

Says July/Nov in Europe (not sure why those dates - doesn't sound like a MY change), and MY2015 in US

Not that I've seen mention of frequencies, so not sure which (if any) networks it'd work on in the UK. I guess Audi UK might decide to let us know if they're feeling kind one day ;-)

I have tweeted @AudiUK to ask if this spec change will apply to UK Audi S3's that specify Audi Connect. Will feedback if they respond.

I'm very interested in having a 4G hotspot integrated into the car, as 3G will be old hat in a couple of years...

Audi press release:

https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/...to_market__.standard.gid-oeffentlichkeit.html

Last edited:
4G will be standard in the S3 Sportback with Audi Connect. Other A3 models will get it in october.

4G will be standard in the S3 Sportback with Audi Connect. Other A3 models will get it in october.

Did you have this confirmed by Audi, or are you taking the press release as 100% correct for all markets?

Did you have this confirmed by Audi, or are you taking the press release as 100% correct for all markets?

Yes I do. And I've heard from a source within audi that Audi Connect on the S3 requires a seperate Data SIM contract. rSAP is not available anymore. You can't order the Phone Box when you have choosen Audi Connect.

The latest info about LTE (4G) with Audi Connect in the A3

LTE (4G) Audi Connect

Option 1
MMI Plus with Audi Connect + BT interface (roofantenna only used for: GPS)

Option 2
MMI Plus with Audi Connect + BT interface + Phone Box (roofantenna used for GSM and GPS)

- It’s not possible anymore to make calls through the SIM card in the MMI module
- You have to use a separate DataSIM card contract for LTE (4G) or 3G connection

- Making calls only trought Bluetooth HFP (Hands Free Protocol)
- When you don’t want cell-phone radiation in your car, you have to buy the optional Audi Phone Box

- rSAP is not available anymore
- DUO SIM not possible anymore

What the hell is Audi thinking? This makes no sense at all!

I suspect Apple's continued refusal to have anything to do with rSAP is at least partly to blame here. Using that protocol is all very well but when no iPhone will work with it, that's a huge section of the market excluded, not to mention the grief dealers would have had trying to explain the compatibility issues to customers.

Personally the separation they've introduced, where the SIM in the car itself is totally separate and for data connectivity only, with calls still going via BT to your handset, is perfect for me.

Personally the separation they've introduced, where the SIM in the car itself is totally separate and for data connectivity only, with calls still going via BT to your handset, is perfect for me.

Except for the less than ideal reception because you can't have a phone box and connect at the same time.

Don't follow you? You can have the Connect and Phone Box options together - the Phone Box is only used for your mobile phone, the "phone" built into the car for the Connect system will be connected directly to the GSM aerial in the sharkfin anyway.

You can? Then this must be something specific for the UK. In the german configuration, you can either choose the phone box OR connect, not both.

Well AFAIK you can - there's nothing in the brochure to say you can't but the Connect option doesn't seem to be on the configurator yet so there's no way to use that to check (since it usually flags up incompatible options).

EDIT: FWIW, I have the phone box and, reception-wise, it's next to useless in my view, not really boosting the reception at all. The only thing it's useful for is the 5V USB socket for charging purposes, which should really be standard kit in this day & age.

the Connect option doesn't seem to be on the configurator

You are right, the UK configurator doesn't show this option. The german configurator already has this option for months and the phone box and connect definitely exclude each other. Doesn't make sense to me, but so do a lot of other Audi things.

Don't follow you? You can have the Connect and Phone Box options together - the Phone Box is only used for your mobile phone, the "phone" built into the car for the Connect system will be connected directly to the GSM aerial in the sharkfin anyway.

You can't have the phone box when you have connect (as I found out), and the connect system has been on the UK configurator for a while now. It's in the special packages tab on there, along with comfort and xenon packs.