Compare SD satnav against Tech. Pack

MouseGB

Reaction score
Hi, is there a thread already or can anyone fill in the gaps? For instance how up to date is it? Does this post code come up, WF6 1GX

I'm getting the SD version with the new car

The SD nav and the tech pack nav are almost identical. They use the same map packs, but the extra processing power of the tech pack allows it to display some additional 3D data.

I've compared both systems, and apart from the screen resolution they are the same.

£500 for the sat nav is, in my opinion, much better value than £1,500 for the tech pack (although this does get you a few extra non-nav goodies too)

The maps seem to be up to date within a year or two. There are some fairly major omissions (hindhead tunnel I believe is missing!), but generally not bad. I will try and check on that postcode for you tomorrow if no-one else beats me to it.

MouseGB, just been out to the car had had a look for you - on a MY2014 car WF6 1GX comes up as De Villiers Way, Normanton ... and MJC whilst I was there I did a quick scan of the map and the Hindhead tunnel appears to be present too. However the software does have its quirks. For example, it does not like routing me directly from my home along the A286 to the A27 and prefers the back roads! However that doesn't seem to be unique to the A3 as the system in the A6 the salesman came to collect me in on handover day did exactly the same!

I would have though there would have been a setting for quickest, shortest, avoid motorways etc for that sort of quirk... My Civic has a good factory satnav but it seems they all send you in odd directions sometimes. The only one that seems to get it right is Tom Tom, thanks for looking

That's good to know the tunnel is on there. I thought someone mentioned it wasn't. There are a couple of new local roundabouts and road layout changes that were done in the past 18 months which don't appear on the maps, but nothing major that I've noticed so far.

Have to admit the screen resolution via the Tech Pack is pretty impressive in comparison with my A6 2012 SD Navigation but whether its worth the £1000 extra I have to say there would be a lot of other options i'd consider first!!...anyone out there gone the full monty and ordered the Audi Connect @£1795, think I'll stick to my Iphone for Google Maps!

I find the auto zoom and display of the next 3 junctions very useful - does the SD version do this? Also the detailed display of motorway junctions is good.

And as for 3D you get a '3D' map representation.

You of course get the touch sensitive rotary dial, which I use all time for entering addresses - that's if not using the voice recognition.

And I do think the display is a huge improvement over the standard one - hate low res displays!

Oh - and when I ordered it, it was on offer for £1000 - although SD version would have been free!

Nothing to add to the original question of this thread but I tested the Sat nav this weekend and found it good enough.

The navigation is clear, it actually gives you lane discipline which is crucial and the turning and exact location is good enough to tell where you are on a round about rather than waiting for a couple ms delay with a TomTom.

I use my nav a lot so made sure to check out both systems. I preferred the tech pack due to the text input dial and screen res. If it's something you'll use occasionally rather than regularly you might not need the tech pack.