Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By number3
  • 1 Post By mjcourtney
  • 1 Post By number3
  • 1 Post By mjcourtney
  • 2 Post By 97catalunya

Thread: Glad I Spec’d / Wish I’d Spec’d!!

2nd Gear

Status

Glad I Spec’d / Wish I’d Spec’d!!

There are a few of us now, that in a few months, will have had their 8V A3’s for a year, and thought this might be a good way of giving new owners an idea on what items to get, knowing what we love or wished we had spec’d. One of each to keep it simple, one thing you simply could not live without and one thing you are really kicking yourself for not getting.

Glad I spec’d – Panno Roof
    it’s awesome!! use it all the time ( as long as it’s not raining ), hardly any wind noise on motorways in fact it’s the only sunroof I’ve ever had that I’ve not had to close when joining motorways, because of noise and that weird pressure noise thing!! And when closed and blind open makes the cabin very light which is great. Also doesn’t seem to affect mpg on long trips when open. Lastly if you're picking a glacier white s-line like mine it's looks great !!!

Wish I’d spec’d – adaptive cruise control.
    or whatever it’s called. Have the comfort pack which comes with the standard cruise control, but on motorways if it could adapt to the flow of traffic which I understand it does, this would be bliss!!!!

Last edited by number3; 24th July 2013 at 12:06.
    RossR likes this.
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

2. # ADS
    ADS

SJW
    1st Gear

Status
    Good call on the pano roof Number3. Certainly lets alot more light into the cabin. I suppose if you are spending much time on the road, in particular motorways, having cruise control/adaptive cruise control makes perfect sense.

I wished I had specced Hill Hold Assist but I can manage without it. I would recommend it given the price of this option is not very much and will take some of the pain away for those embracing electro/mechanical handbraking systems for the first time. For all you ladies out there, I would recommend you choose this along with Parking Assist/sensors/cameras ;-)
    Sportback / 2TDI / Manual / S-Line / Amalfi White / Sport Suspension /
    Alcantara Leather Split / Heated Seats / Elec Lumbar / Phone Box / Audi Sound System / Sat Nav /
    Privacy Glass / Through Load / Rear Side Airbags / Tyre Pressure Monitor

Neutral

Status
    Glad I specced B&O, The sound it gives out is immense and as someone who spends a lot of time in the car, sound quality was important to me and I am very impressed with the B&O. Worth the extra cash IMHO.

Wish I specced the Pan Roof, but felt it might look a bit strange against the Scuba Paint. And also electrically adjustable seats!
    Audi A3 8V 2.0 TDI S-Line Scuba Blue
    | Comfort Pack | Technology Pack | Interior Light Pack | Bang & Olufsen Sound | Advanced Key | Deletion of Model & Tech | Privacy Glass |
    | Elec Folding, Heated & Dimming Mirrors | Perf Alcantara & Leather Seats |

5th Gear

Status
    Glad I specced: B&O (awesome beyond words), Electric Folding Mirrors (kerb dipping mirror in reverse is EXCELLENT), Comfort Pack (auto lights and dimming rear view mirror are worth it alone).

Wish I'd specced: Nothing much, I think I got my options list just right! I'm not a fan of all the driver aids and prefer to keep in control myself.

And just to add another thing to the mix...

Wouldn't spec again: Probably the Tech Pack. I got it discounted for £900 and for me it's just about worth that amount. If I were to re-order at the full price of £1,500 I wouldn't bother.
    TDI-line likes this.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    Glad I specced: B&O (awesome beyond words), Electric Folding Mirrors (kerb dipping mirror in reverse is EXCELLENT), Comfort Pack (auto lights and dimming rear view mirror are worth it alone).

Wish I'd specced: Nothing much, I think I got my options list just right! I'm not a fan of all the driver aids and prefer to keep in control myself.

And just to add another thing to the mix...

Wouldn't spec again: Probably the Tech Pack. I got it discounted for £900 and for me it's just about worth that amount. If I were to re-order at the full price of £1,500 I wouldn't bother.

good call on the wouldn't spec again!!, I almost had that as my wish I'd spec'd , the tech pack, but find the standard setup with standard sat nav just right .
    SJW likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm not a fan of all the driver aids and prefer to keep in control myself.
    does a steering wheel class as "driver aid", use the force mj, use the force!!!!!

5th Gear

Status
    The steering wheel aids me in avoiding star destroyers so that the A3 can complete the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs
    squiretolley likes this.
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

2nd Gear

Status
    The steering wheel aids me in avoiding star destroyers so that the A3 can complete the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs
    if you'd said "what's the force" !!!!! I'd would have got my coat and gone home !!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Actually the comfort pack , in general , is a good shout for best spec'd option, you do get a lot with it!!! Not sure I've noticed on mine whether the acoustic glass does anything, but then again i guess I wouldn't!! Lol

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by number3 View Post
    Wish I’d spec’d – adaptive cruise control.
    or whatever it’s called. Have the comfort pack which comes with the standard cruise control, but on motorways if it could adapt to the flow of traffic which I understand it does, this would be bliss!!!!

Would agree with this option although one feature I like with the standard Cruise is that you can accelerate (to pass on the motorway for example) with the accelerator pedal without taking it off cruise and when you release the pedal it returns to the set speed. With my previous car you had pause it, accelerate and then re-engage, or increase the speed with the buttons and then bring it down again.

Handy when you're just creeping up on other traffic just 1 or 2 mph quicker.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

6th Gear

Status
    Really? I thought most cruise controls let you do that - my current one certainly does. Looking forward to being able to change gear without the cruise control disengaging though which I know the A3 does.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Well only had mine 2 months and I didn't spec it, but...

Glad it came with: B&O sound system - immense volume, bass and clarity. A lot better than the B&O on my previous A5 Black Edition

Wish it came with: Privacy glass - I know I can get the rear windows tinted, but always looks better when supplied from the factory
    Daytona grey paint - still think it's the best colour

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ukm_1 View Post
    Well only had mine 2 months and I didn't spec it, but...

Glad it came with: B&O sound system - immense volume, bass and clarity. A lot better than the B&O on my previous A5 Black Edition

Wish it came with: Privacy glass - I know I can get the rear windows tinted, but always looks better when supplied from the factory
    Daytona grey paint - still think it's the best colour
    mine didn't come with privacy glass but dealer threw it in with there aftermarket guys, and I can't tell the difference

1st Gear

Status
    Isn't the folding mirrors a standard?

6th Gear

Status
    No, it's £150 extra (or £250 for auto-dimming as well)
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    It's an extra in the UK at least, might be standard in other countries.

1st Gear

Status
    I am hoping its a standard here is South Africa. Will be very disappointed if it isn't. My 06 Mazda 3 came with it as a standard!

1st Gear

Status
    My 5 year-old Seat Ibiza came with it as standard too. It's an odd thing to have as an optional extra, I agree.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Is this electric folding mirrors your taking about?
    Ordered 8th May, build week 29, A3 SB S Line 2.0 Tdi s-tronic Daytona Grey, Comfort pack, Adv key, Parking +, Privacy glass, SE suspension, no smoking, Folding mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Yes @Mitchd

1st Gear

Status
    So we do not even have the electric folding mirrors here as an option

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by STERLING VOID View Post
    So we do not even have the electric folding mirrors here as an option
    Its interesting the way in that depending on the country, Audi offer options to one county and not the other.
    Is this governed by the destination country? Presumably each country will know what sells best and have their own laws for cars and may not permit certain options.....is this true?
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Glad I spec'd: Panoramic Roof, B&O, Folding Mirrors, Comfort Pack

Wish I spec'd: Interior lighting pack (it just looks cool), Tech Pack - after driving around an an A5 with the HD screen etc, the resolution on the A3 just looks crap :-(

Neutral

Status
    I've only had my A3 a few days but already know my answers to this one. I spec'd on my 3door S-line: Comfort pack, privacy glass, Audi sound system. I am glad I spec'd them all but here are my thoughts:

Glad: I am really glad I chose the privacy glass. It compliments the car hugely, particularly in white + 3 door, and really makes it stand out.

Wish: I really, really wish I had selected the B&O sound system. As a big music lover, I have come from a 2009 ford focus, which whilst you may not think is anything special, had exceptional standard speakers. The bass was so powerful, yet it never ever distorted the sound at any volume. The balance between the tweet speakers and bass was perfect, and I love my music loud.

In my A3, I am struggling to get the sound right. Every song seems so different sound-wise, and when the songs reach their peak, it just doesn't seem to give me the depth of sound that I am after. I'd appreciate anyone's input on this? Has anyone found a good balance in the bass/sub/trebble settings for the audi sound system? I have played about, some songs come out quite well, others not so much - Don't really want to change the settings for each song!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markjames View Post
    I've only had my A3 a few days but already know my answers to this one. I spec'd on my 3door S-line: Comfort pack, privacy glass, Audi sound system. I am glad I spec'd them all but here are my thoughts:

Wish: I really, really wish I had selected the B&O sound system. As a big music lover, I have come from a 2009 ford focus, which whilst you may not think is anything special, had exceptional standard speakers. The bass was so powerful, yet it never ever distorted the sound at any volume. The balance between the tweet speakers and bass was perfect, and I love my music loud.

In my A3, I am struggling to get the sound right. Every song seems so different sound-wise, and when the songs reach their peak, it just doesn't seem to give me the depth of sound that I am after. I'd appreciate anyone's input on this? Has anyone found a good balance in the bass/sub/trebble settings for the audi sound system? I have played about, some songs come out quite well, others not so much - Don't really want to change the settings for each song!
    privacy glass especially on 3 door with contrasting colour looks great (just seen your photo ) and hope works as well on Misano

Did you sick with standard sound system or do audi upgrade ? As this was my plan.
    Not worried about really loud, but definitely want good quality sound but £500 ish more than Audi's own upgrade is a lot. On top again.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

Neutral

Status
    I went with the Audi sound system, but I went in blind as I didn't have the option to try them all out.

I'd be interested to hear the basic sound system, to see if mine is much better. IMO, I don't think the sub in the boot makes a big enough difference to warrant the cost. The true test of the sound quality for me is how it handles the sound when it gets loud, and so far it just doesn't have the depth I am after. Perhaps I am being picky and/or have just got used to the particular way my ford focus delivered the sound. Also, I haven't sat in the back yet, but I am not convinced you can hear the benefits the sub gives enough whilst sitting in the front!

If I get a chance to compare it to either standard or B&O, I will report back.

P.S Thanks for the photo comments - I love it!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markjames View Post
    I went with the Audi sound system, but I went in blind as I didn't have the option to try them all out.

I'd be interested to hear the basic sound system, to see if mine is much better. IMO, I don't think the sub in the boot makes a big enough difference to warrant the cost. The true test of the sound quality for me is how it handles the sound when it gets loud, and so far it just doesn't have the depth I am after. Perhaps I am being picky and/or have just got used to the particular way my ford focus delivered the sound. Also, I haven't sat in the back yet, but I am not convinced you can hear the benefits the sub gives enough whilst sitting in the front!

If I get a chance to compare it to either standard or B&O, I will report back.

P.S Thanks for the photo comments - I love it!
    if you have only have you car a couple of days or so you probably haven't run in the speakers fully yet, it normally takes a bit of time to loosen up speakers.
    I base this on years ago I spent £2500 on a surround sound speakers, had read all the reviews and tested. Got them home and set them up and although it was really good, wasn't blown away quite (i was advised by the saleman it would that time to loosen up) a week later and they could blow your socks off and Is still absolutely incredible 7 ish years later. Give the speaker time to loosen up and I am sure they will hopefully improve noticeably.
    I think I saw a post from someone on here recently who said he installs sound systems, I'm sure he will tell you the something similar.
    hope I am right.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

1st Gear

Status
    I have the Audi Sound System, and although generally pleased, to me there is too much on the mid range, which you can't easily correct with bass and treble adjustments.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragup View Post
    I think I saw a post from someone on here recently who said he installs sound systems, I'm sure he will tell you the something similar.
    hope I am right.
    That would prob be me and yes you are right

Speakers are moving parts just like a car engine, they do take a little time for the voice coils to bed in. I haven't heard the Audi sound system only the standard (I didn't like it not a big enough sound) and the B&O (Awsome, this is what I went for)
    I understand the Audi sound system runs a sub in the spare wheel just like the B&O just lower powered, would be ample for a car of this size as long as your not expecting it too rattle your teeth.
    I would not run the system at full volume for a while while it is running in, as above it should only take a few days to a week, nudge the volume a little more each day and after the first couple of days start with some good bassy music, some Leftfield aught to do it .
    Even after running in each day you use it never blast it from cold, give it a good 10 mins of warm up time as the rubber dampers round the cones will need to warm up. While listening loud if you start to hear any speakers clipping obviously either back down the bass or the volume a little. Do this and you should get years of trouble free enjoyment.

Hope this helps

Chris...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    markjames and Fragup like this.
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jet_andy View Post
    Would agree with this option although one feature I like with the standard Cruise is that you can accelerate (to pass on the motorway for example) with the accelerator pedal without taking it off cruise and when you release the pedal it returns to the set speed. With my previous car you had pause it, accelerate and then re-engage, or increase the speed with the buttons and then bring it down again.

Handy when you're just creeping up on other traffic just 1 or 2 mph quicker.
    ++

Definitely! I would like to see the adaptive cruise control in action, as it sounds useful where the traffic is continually slowing down and speeding up. The standard cruise control is pretty neat though, and I find it gives me better MPG figures than when I'm actually driving! :o
    A3 2.0 TDI S Line Daytona Grey with Comfort Pack and SD Sat Nav. LOVE IT !!!!!