Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What's with the badge deletion thing?

1st Gear

Status

What's with the badge deletion thing?

One thing I've often wondered about, and I thought of again whilst sitting here tonight - I've never really got why people choose to have the model and/or engine type badges deleted as an option.

is it just for the cleaner look...or what?
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I don't get it either - doesn't even look cleaner to me, just... empty
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    Some people have it all removed because they think it looks cleaner. Some people have the engine size/type thing removed because they don't want people knowing they drive a diesel for some reason.

What's interesting is how Audi have now dropped the engine size badges and it's merely a "technology" one showing TDI/TFSI/etc. I think some vain people didn't like others knowing that they drove the "smallest" engine variant or some such nonsense and thus opted to have it removed and now Audi have caught on and just dropped that bit completely.
    Daveotto and First Ever Audi like this.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

5th Gear

Status
    It is one of those "how big is your ******" things as engine sizes get smaller people don't like saying I've got a small one!!!!!
    CHEZ, SJW and Buneet like this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

4th Gear

Status
    Plenty of guy's debadging their RS3's, don't think that's a vanity thing.....
    hittchy and Artimus like this.
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

moderately amusing

Status
    debadging or buying with a deletion looks cleaner imo!
    it also hides what you may have 'under the hood' and spec your car might have, and possibly may avoid theft and vandalism! by opportunist thieves or jealous people!
    dick wad likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    To be honsest if the engine size was there I was going to be wanting to get rid of the number (not really sure why but works in my head), but I will leave TDI on there.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEZ View Post
    debadging or buying with a deletion looks cleaner imo!
    it also hides what you may have 'under the hood' and spec your car might have, and possibly may avoid theft and vandalism! by opportunist thieves or jealous people!
    sorry can't buy the potentially avoids theft vandalism thing......"oh look a nice new audi let's key it"......... "On second thoughts its only a 1.2TFSI so let's not bother, let's look for a 1.8TFSI instead"
    dick wad likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

moderately amusing

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    sorry can't buy the potentially avoids theft vandalism thing......"oh look a nice new audi let's key it"......... "On second thoughts its only a 1.2TFSI so let's not bother, let's look for a 1.8TFSI instead"
    maybe, but if somebody (and they do exist), is after a car to order, then displaying on the rear what you have is a total give away!

1st Gear

Status
    It is one of those "how big is your ******" things as engine sizes get smaller people don't like saying I've got a small one!!!!!
    It also seems to be a 'German' thing. BMW and Merc offer it too - I always used to think people who bought a BMW316 de-badged it hoping others might think they have a 325i or 330i...
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

6th Gear

Status
    I don't get the whole debadging to hide what the car is or go for the Q-car effect. The vast majority of people don't care and those who do can tell what it is anyway
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

5th Gear

Status
    I did it on mine because I didn't like the style of the writing or the font, just looks too cluttered. So my preference was to remove them and have a clean bum approach
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    I've ordered mine to be de-badged, main reason being I find it a nightmare on my A1 trying to clean the small gaps between/in the letters/number.
    Previous Car - Audi A3 (8P) S-Line SB 2.0 TFSI
    Previous Car - Audi A1 S-Line 1.2 TFSI /Xenon Light Pack / 18" 7 Twin Spoke Alloys / Cruise Control.
    Current Car - Audi A3 (8V) S-Line 1.2 TFSI / Glacier White / S-Line Suspension / Interior Light Pack / De-Badged /
    5 Year Warranty
    / Ordered 2nd July 13 / Build Week 36 / Picked Up 20th Sep 13

Neutral

Status
    I did it because i'm vinyl wrapping it the second I get it.

And tbh it looks alot more "smooth" wihtout the silly A3 (DUH!?) and TFSI badge...... as the model is a dead give away for everyone and the TFSI doesen't have any effect, I don't see the point of having it..... no point = get the F*** away from my car :D

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by f1nny View Post
    I've ordered mine to be de-badged, main reason being I find it a nightmare on my A1 trying to clean the small gaps between/in the letters/number.
    I agree with f1nny, is very very slightly easier to keep clean, a friend has older Audi and i noticed the paint has slightly discoloured around badge where not quite cleaned properly over the years. But that's ultra picky, I will debadge as I prefer look. Still have audi badge Thou obviously, If there was any cost either way I won't be bothered but its free so.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

5th Gear

Status
    Fragup and f1nny like this.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    Pretty much what mine is going to look like, minus the parking sensors and one tail pipe. That picture definitely makes me realise I've made the right choice

Loving the car btw mjcourtney
    mjcourtney likes this.
    Previous Car - Audi A3 (8P) S-Line SB 2.0 TFSI
    Previous Car - Audi A1 S-Line 1.2 TFSI /Xenon Light Pack / 18" 7 Twin Spoke Alloys / Cruise Control.
    Current Car - Audi A3 (8V) S-Line 1.2 TFSI / Glacier White / S-Line Suspension / Interior Light Pack / De-Badged /
    5 Year Warranty
    / Ordered 2nd July 13 / Build Week 36 / Picked Up 20th Sep 13

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarz View Post
    I did it because i'm vinyl wrapping it the second I get it.
    Ooh what wrap are you doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    Ooh what wrap are you doing?
    Don't wanna "steal" the thread and push it of course, but a darker and more metally version of thisDSC04662.jpg

5th Gear

Status
    maybe, but if somebody (and they do exist), is after a car to order, then displaying on the rear what you have is a total give away!
    good point

5th Gear

Status
    if it's those who are part of steal to order gang...... they will know how to tell an S or RS apart from a base model just by looking at it so thats kind of irrelevant really.
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

1st Gear

Status
    Looks neater and easier to clean. It doesn't say 1.4 just TFSI. I took mine off before on my a1 and put an s badge in place. Looked good surprisingly. Pics On request lol
    1.4 TFSI 122ps A3 SportBack. Comfort pack, Audi sound system, Daytona grey, SD Sat Nav, S line trim. Love it!

Neutral

Status
    I did it for a cleaner look, plus dirt tends to collect in and around the badges. Plus, I know the car is an A3, I'm pretty sure everyone else does too!

Neutral

Status
    I deleted the badges on my A3 for a cleaner look, that's all.

For example there's a guy here at work with a new Porsche and the rear decklid is covered in badges and scripts, looks really messy IMO.
    hittchy and CHEZ like this.

Neutral

Status
    Personally, I've always wondered why most cars do have the engine size displayed on them. To shame some people in to buying a bigger engine than they really want/need? So that when you pull up alongside another car, you already know if you can beat it off the lights?

I understand having the make/model; so other people see it, like it, think about buying one or another in the range, etc..
    Estoril Blue Audi S3 8V Sportback, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Aluminium roof rails

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by f1nny View Post
    Get a noodle mitt or a pressure washer.
    SJW likes this.

SJW
    1st Gear

Status
    I kept the TDI on mine as it reminds me what fuel type I am using. Being the first diesel car I have had, I certainly need reminding and the last thing I need is to fill it up with petrol.

Whether you keep the badge or de-select, the car still looks class!
    Sportback / 2TDI / Manual / S-Line / Amalfi White / Sport Suspension /
    Alcantara Leather Split / Heated Seats / Elec Lumbar / Phone Box / Audi Sound System / Sat Nav /
    Privacy Glass / Through Load / Rear Side Airbags / Tyre Pressure Monitor

5th Gear

Status
    SJW - so you just have to remember to get out of the car walk past the filler cap and look at the boot every time you fill-up. How the hell do you remember where to put the ignition key ;-)
    SJW likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    I kept the TDI on mine as it reminds me what fuel type I am using. Being the first diesel car I have had, I certainly need reminding and the last thing I need is to fill it up with petrol.

Whether you keep the badge or de-select, the car still looks class!
    So the word DIESEL written on the filler cap and inside the flap isn't enough then?!
    SJW likes this.
    and Sport Suspension

Neutral

Status
    I personally like the clean look of a debadged car. Doesn't always work with the plain grille but it is a personal choice. As for engine size on the rear..I always f**k that off as minimum, just not for me.
    Bit like stealers stickers in the rear window and tax disc holders..they go straight away.

Neutral

Status
    I think you are all missing the important point here. I've had my SB debadged as having weighed the badges on my current SB I reckon the 0-60 time will now be down to 8.6999 secs, making my new car one of the quickest in the country!
    hittchy and Fragup like this.
    A3 Sportback, 2.0TDi, Glacier White, Privacy Glass, Black Roof rails, F38 Alloys, Cruise control, Parking Sensors, Hill hold Assist, Folding Mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by squashmanontour View Post
    I think you are all missing the important point here. I've had my SB debadged as having weighed the badges on my current SB I reckon the 0-60 time will now be down to 8.6999 secs, making my new car one of the quickest in the country!
    Yes, but those roof rails must hold you back a bit...!
    SJW and Fragup like this.
    and Sport Suspension

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jet_andy View Post
    Yes, but those roof rails must hold you back a bit...!
    That's what I thought initially but I've bought some black gaffer tape to fill in the gaps and make them more aerodynamic!
    I did also consider painting them silver as I've read somewhere on here that this makes the A3 look lighter.
    T33_BKD and jet_andy like this.
    A3 Sportback, 2.0TDi, Glacier White, Privacy Glass, Black Roof rails, F38 Alloys, Cruise control, Parking Sensors, Hill hold Assist, Folding Mirrors

5th Gear

Status
    But the biggest contributor to improved 0-60 is making sure the car is spotlessly clean and the paintwork is polished and waxed and is more silky and smooth than a silky and smooth thing.......

I jest not, I know the guys from the design consultancy who worked on the design of Chris Hoy's and the Olympic cycling teams race helmets for the last Olympics. So if they can shave off 10th's of a seconds off a lap of 250m by messing around with coefficient of friction of a tiny cycle helmet by the time I have finished polishing my new car my 0-60 time will be well below 2 seconds
    Last edited by Daveotto; 24th July 2013 at 20:53.
    SJW likes this.

moderately amusing

Status
    I jest not, I know the guys from the design consultancy who worked onthe design of Chris Hoy's and the Olympic cycling teams race helmets for the last Olympics.
    erm, expert helmet workman?
    Daveotto likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Ah, but talking about the shape of something is a lot different to talking about its cleanliness, though I'm sure it does make a significant difference. Dirt creates turbulence in the air that is passing over the car, and all that creates more drag, sucking energy away from the drive.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Ah, but talking about the shape of something is a lot different to talking about its cleanliness, though I'm sure it does make a significant difference. Dirt creates turbulence in the air that is passing over the car, and all that creates more drag, sucking energy away from the drive.
    Yes It's a combination of shape and finish, strangely though a surface can be too smooth resulting in lower coefficient of friction but higher drag as you end up with something close to laminar flow which by all accounts is not good over shaped surfaces.

Neutral

Status
    But the biggest contributor to improved 0-60 is making sure the car is spotlessly clean and the paintwork is polished and waxed and is more silky and smooth than a silky and smooth thing.......

I jest not, I know the guys from the design consultancy who worked on the design of Chris Hoy's and the Olympic cycling teams race helmets for the last Olympics. So if they can shave off 10th's of a seconds off a lap of 250m by messing around with coefficient of friction of a tiny cycle helmet by the time I have finished polishing my new car my 0-60 time will be well below 2 seconds
    So from what you are saying, I would be better off putting the badges back on and then driving around in one of Chris Hoy's race helmets?

2nd Gear

Status
    Non smoking pack saves weight as well as no ashtray!, but I thinks pano weight will mess it up a bit, unless glass is smoother than paint ???
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by squashmanontour View Post
    So from what you are saying, I would be better off putting the badges back on and then driving around in one of Chris Hoy's race helmets?
    yep- but it would be a pretty expensive optional extra, possibly as much as you paid for the car, and they are not very comfortable, i have tried one on for size, as he has a pretty weird shaped head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast