LED Headlight's available to order Late July '13

mxnrg

Reaction score
As per a Twitter response from Audi UK

Audi UK (@AudiUK)
08/07/2013 15:56
Hi, LED lights are due to be available to order on A3 and S3 in late July. Thanks.

So that should be on the next couple of weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and mjcourtney
That is great news !

The #1 ultra cool feature of the S3 / A3 for me.

Toad ... hope you're reading this :)

Reactions: Toadoftoadhall
Yeh, they told me that about Audi Connect as well back in April... took nearly a month after they said it would be available for it actually to be available

How many are updating their orders with the dealer this morning then lol

nah, not worth the price - they are insanely expensive on the A6!

Tend to agree. If you have all the money in the world then go for it, but if you're working to a budget then I personally think there are better places to spend the £7-800 extra LEDs are going to cost over Xenons.

It's a rip-off really, they should be cheaper. They are much cheaper on the Seat Leon for example.

That sounds encouraging indeed :) I really think they are worth it, but as we often read on here its all down to personal choice.

(NB Do we have a confirmed uk price yet for this option or was it based on the euro conversion?)

1 of the dealers I have talked to knows I am waiting specifically for these lights - be interesting to see if I hear from them soon.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Out of curiosity what are the advantage of LED lights over Xenon or is it just styling? (They do look cool) ;)

Bit brighter I think, plus you can do more with them like different beam patterns, adjusting the beam around the other road users etc - though the current set won't do that. There was a video the other day about it all though, and how they could flash a few LEDs on pedestrians detected to bring them to the driver's attention (and the car to the pedestrian's attention at the same time) - interesting stuff

Bit brighter I think, plus you can do more with them like different beam patterns, adjusting the beam around the other road users etc - though the current set won't do that. There was a video the other day about it all though, and how they could flash a few LEDs on pedestrians detected to bring them to the driver's attention (and the car to the pedestrian's attention at the same time) - interesting stuff

Wow sounds like clever stuff! I am still living in the dark ages (literally) as I haven't even had Xenons yet so I'm sure I will be more than happy with them. But I love a good bit of clever tech.
Also I like the way the DRL's become the indicators too!
Talking of indicators I liked the way the indicators worked on the R8 they had on Top Gear the other week, so cool! :D

Yeah, this will be my first set of Xenons as well, but I'm fed up of halogen lights just not cutting it some nights - really poor visibility sometimes.

There was someone on here who was going to attempt to mod the A3 indicators to do the 'sweep' like the R8, wonder if he had any success

Talking of indicators I liked the way the indicators worked on the R8 they had on Top Gear the other week, so cool! :D

yes totally agree silly little detail but very cool. One day might filter down the ranges ?

There was someone on here who was going to attempt to mod the A3 indicators to do the 'sweep' like the R8, wonder if he had any success

Now that would be a mod I would consider! After sending years modding cars, now for the first time buying a new one I vowed never to mod it, instead spec it to how I want it.

But night rider indicators, I want those! Lol.

Spoke to my dealer today and there is still nothing official.

He is going to check again next week......

I'm the one planning the night rider indicator mod ;-) . Haven't got my car yet though so no progress to report. There are a few unknowns that will affect how easy it is.

Just checked this morning, LED Lights are now on the UK Configurator. Anybody changing their spec? Audi site has them at 795.00 GBP

LED headlights provide for optimised road illumination similar to the effect achieved by daylight
Characterised by their unmistakable look, a long service life and excellent efficiency. For the LED headlights, dipped beam, high beam and the combined function of daytime running lights, sidelights and indicators have been implemented in the A3 in one single light conductor for the first time. The stunning Audi light graphics in a day and night-time design give the headlights a striking appearance.

• Including LED rear lights, headlight cleaning system and Light and rain sensor package
  • Light conductor is fed by yellow and white LEDs, giving the vehicles an unmistakable look
  • Turning lights provide more lateral illumination on tight bends and when turning
  • The headlight distribution modes for motorway light and country road light are activated depending on the road speed
  • Motorway light with extended range at speeds above approx. 68mph
  • All-weather light makes conventional front fog lights superfluous and reduces glare in poor visibility (in fog, rain or snow)
  • In conjunction with Technology package with Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi Connect, the navigation data works in combination with the LED headlights to control the light distribution with motorway light and country light modes using the stored route data from the MMI navigation plus with MMI touch
  • Additional comfort comes courtesy of the junction light, which provides a wide front light setting, as well as travel mode, which switches between right and left-hand drive modes assisted by GPS data

Last edited:
At last the LEDs are on the option list! Although it seems if ordered now I would be looking at December/January delivery. Think I will wait a couple months and get one lined up for March 2014.

PS when I first went on the configurator to check this I noticed it had a black styling package available which removes a lot of the shiny trim. Perhaps I had just missed this previously?

At last the LEDs are on the option list! Although it seems if ordered now I would be looking at December/January delivery. Think I will wait a couple months and get one lined up for March 2014.

PS when I first went on the configurator to check this I noticed it had a black styling package available which removes a lot of the shiny trim. Perhaps I had just missed this previously?

I would not hang around too long placing an order mate - even if you don't want it till March 14.
Tell the Dealer this is what you want and just get an order placed, so you are in the system.
Chances are, even if the Dealer takes delivery of the car early, they won't mind storing it for 2 or 3 months.
We did that with one of our cars a few years back, it arrived early in June and we did not want till Sept - there was no issue with this as long agreed at the very start.

Nice to see Audi UK coming through with reliable info via Twitter. £795 is less than I thought they would charge... Just waiting to test drive an S3 before I decide on ordering now.

It's £750 on the configurator - and that's above the Xenon lights. £2000 in total above the Halogens.

It's £750 on the configurator - and that's above the Xenon lights. £2000 in total above the Halogens.

Sure, I was looking at upgrading the S3/Sline which include Xenons :)

I would not hang around too long placing an order mate - even if you don't want it till March 14.
Tell the Dealer this is what you want and just get an order placed, so you are in the system.
Chances are, even if the Dealer takes delivery of the car early, they won't mind storing it for 2 or 3 months.
We did that with one of our cars a few years back, it arrived early in June and we did not want till Sept - there was no issue with this as long agreed at the very start.

No i think i will sit tight for now Snake. My current Golf was ordered for 1st Sept collection on basis of what VW advised re build times. Lo and behold it was ready in June and it sat in a yard under a tree for 2 1/2 months with tree sap and bird crap all over. They did clean it up nice but I just don't see point in knowingly arriving at that situation. I have thought long and hard on this - as you know how much I want the S3!! but delivery in mid winter, in my locality with tractor and mud infested roads , just wont feel right at all. I have been patient so far (through necessity due to Audi delays) so another couple months will be easy. (and to occupy my wait time I am about to start building a new garage to accomodate said new car!)

Once they get an S3 in local showroom (September I guess) I will then start the ball rolling towards finding a good deal. :)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
XENON vs LED .... LED has the 'wow' factor, on or off :icon_thumright:

The upgrade price is well worth it IMO if you have xenon's as standard.

Reactions: Toadoftoadhall and mxnrg

One more point... the £750 includes the £295 Adaptive Lights (cornering) and £75 Variable Headlight Range Control options. So since I had spec'd these already LED's are actually only another £425, no brainer for me...

I had specced those as well. I'll have to try my spec but with LED lights and see how teh price changes.

On my spec its £980 more just to switch my Xenons (with adaptive function and variable range headlights) to the LED pack. This is probably because the Xenons also give you a discount on the comfort pack which I also have.

Tricky call... Like 'Snake' I'm sold on the modern look of LED's (My 3 year old A5 Sportback has LED DLR's and LED rear lights which keep it looking very modern). If you are coming from Halogen's then Xenons are great, spec wise, it depends what else you think is important.

Ahhhh.......just when I thought I'd caught up with technology by getting (soon) my first ever xenons!! Ah well, bought myself an LED torch today, that will make up for it.......:whistle2:

Reactions: mjcourtney and Sandra
Heh, looking at the closeups - the horizontal bits on the LED lights don't seem to be evenly spaced, which makes it look a bit odd. I'm not really sure what they offer you over xenons - apart from linking in with the connect system for lighting profiles, but it's already done based on speed etc anyway with the existing system. If I'm reading it right as well, it also removes the front fog lights?

Yes no fogs needed as the LED headlight changes its pattern/beam/intensity to reduce bounced back light apparently - pretty clever stuff.

Also you made a good point about reduction of comfort pack price if you had xenons, I would have thought looking at the detailed info on the LEDs that the comfort pack would also be reduced for those as they should include some of the comfort pack features? But on the configuration I did it still seemed to have the comfort pack at full price? Perhaps its just teething problems for the configurator after the changes.

I just specced up my car as it is and switched between xenons and LED - and £980 was the difference, though this is post-price-rise of course so if I changed my order now to something that is only available post-pricerise, I think I'd get stung for that as well

Can someone please confirm whether the turn indicators are the same for both the xenon and LED headlights. That is, are they combined with the DRLs on the xenons or are they a separate lamp? If the latter, then I may have to go for the LEDs.

All the vidoes I've seen feature cars with LEDs and I like the way the DRLs switch between white and yellow.

Confirmed - the LED lights have the DRL's that switch between the white and amber, and the Xenons have a separate lamp

Reactions: AJ8
Thanks. I'll have to enter negotiations with my finance director to see if she will allow me to spec the LEDs. I'm still waiting for a build date so I should be OK with the dealer.

Reactions: mxnrg
Changed my S3 spec to include the LED lights today. Asked the dealer about a price reduction on these or the comfort pack if both options are selected and after a 15 min conflab amongst themselves, they said the price is what it is - £795! Ah well, it will just mean a bigger bunch of flowers for my finance director :kiss:.

Still no sign of a build date though :(.

My dealer has just amended my order to include the LEDs.

The extra cost for my specification is £500 (less discount).

Build week stays at week 42.

Reactions: mxnrg
Confirmed - the LED lights have the DRL's that switch between the white and amber, and the Xenons have a separate lamp

Didn't realise all the press videos were LED cars. I've always disliked the 'inboard' indicators on my A5 (with associated dimming of DRL's). The DRL's going orange and flashing as indicators is worth the premium alone ;)