Tyre noise

mj13

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.
I've just taken delivery of a 1.4 Cod Sportback with 18" wheels and Conti tyres. I'm disappointed with what seems to be excessive tyre noise, mainly on the driver's side. Anyone else have the same issue?

I've never found the tyre noise excessive although you will notice it more in a small hatchback than in larger cars, particularly saloons.

Incidentally my 8V S-line on Sport suspension seems much better than my previous 8P S-Lines were.

I suppose what each person considers excessive noise is subjective - maybe have a word with the dealer and get one of their people to come out with you and see what they think?

after reading various other threads i do believe its a common problem with the contis, not looking forward to it myself,i have bridgestone potenzas on my golf and there great.

Interesting that people think it's down to the Contis - as I said I find my 8V better than my previous two 8P S-Lines, even though they were on Pirellis and Bridgestones.

after reading various other threads i do believe its a common problem with the contis, not looking forward to it myself,i have bridgestone potenzas on my golf and there great.

i have the Bridgestone Potenza's on my current 8P, and think they are great, especially the new eco version i have on the rear. I found on my test drive in an 8V the tyre noise was louder than my 8P over the same circuit but engine noise was quieter on the 8V which made the tyre noise more noticeable. Overall all things considered I think the 8V is quieter even if tyre noise is louder.

Make sure your boot liner is in the lower position as well
That helped mine slightly

I've not found it overly noisy either? In fact on motorways I'd say its dam right quiet :) also have the conti's.

without stating the obvious , is it louder on the drivers side as that's the side your sitting on and closer to the drivers side wheel?

Make sure your boot liner is in the lower position as well
That helped mine slightly

really ??? What about if I open the glove box ???? Lol ...... Just joking , does that work , with liner in lower position ???

It's definitely louder on the driver's side, but maybe I'm getting more used to it now, and it may be due to the tyres having the nibs worn off. On a brighter note, on my first commute to work today - 19 miles, mostly on the M56/M60, it returned 50 mpg, which was better than expected.

It's definitely louder on the driver's side, but maybe I'm getting more used to it now, and it may be due to the tyres having the nibs worn off. On a brighter note, on my first commute to work today - 19 miles, mostly on the M56/M60, it returned 50 mpg, which was better than expected.
Really don't see how it could be louder one side than the other, unless there's a fault of some kind...or your hearing is better in your right ear than your left...!

It struck me as odd. When I first mentioned it, my passenger couldn't hear it, but once they had driven it they agreed it was quite noticeable. The tyre pressures are spot on and the wheels seem to be balanced (no steering wheel shake)

I've had mine for 4 months now (18" Contis) and can't say I've noticed any tyre noise. It's significantly quieter than my old 8P Sport on 17" tyres.

On a brighter note, on my first commute to work today - 19 miles, mostly on the M56/M60, it returned 50 mpg, which was better than expected.

wow 50 mpg is pretty decent for performance of the engine, We currently have a Honda CRZ, and although has been a great and fun car I only average 47mpg on a hybrid, but didn't buy it for that, bought it because liked it, Petrol engines have really moved on. Looking forward to getting C.O.D. !

Tyre noise,this can go on for ever, the tyre manufactures have to meet certain levels of noise before tyres are approved.the speed at which they are monitored is up to 50 mph/80 kph, after this the vehicle starts making noise in general.
If the tyres are giving you too much noise above 50 then slow down.

The original Bridgestone Turanza tyres on my Golf were very noisy. The current 17" Goodyear AS2s are much quieter. My winter tyres are even quieter and more comfortable, but they are fatter tyres on 16" rims.

Reactions: Joe-A3