Cannot get to grips with handbrake !!!

B7000

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Done 1200 miles now but having great difficulty getting to grips with the electric hand brake,:banghead: so the car might have to go.
Is it me, or is anyone else in the same position?.

Hold Assist is pretty handy as an option with the new on/off electronic parking brake. I have had the electronic brake on an A5 for 3 years and it took me 6 months to get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The loan 8V I had out didn't have hill hold and I had no problems whatsoever doing hill starts, both forwards and backwards.

Must be your technique! ;)

I would ask your dealer to take you through the operation of the handbrake.

They might have some tips for its use.

I had it on my previous car, an A4 Avant, and now on my A3.
I can understand some having difficulties with it but I love it and would not want to go back to a normal hand brake.

Very straight forward, look the book and understand how it works, no issues with mine, you even have a delay when reversing up hill with the foot brake on hold then released.as mentioned above get someone to go through the operation with you,meet in with another owner to confirm car is also function correctly.
Getting rid of a car for something stupid is unnecessary the brake works fine in any configuration and operation, of course seatbelt on.

Had it on A4 and A3 with no problems.

You have to raise revs slightly for it to release (rather than just hit clutch bite point) as well as have seat belt on with door closed.

Thanks everyone:thumbsup:, obviously it must be me. Must try harder !

Must say it's made even easier with the Hill Hold assist - if you don't have this (which you do of course) you're at a slight disadvantage. (For benefit of others contemplating the option...!)

Must say it's made even easier with the Hill Hold assist - if you don't have this (which you do of course) you're at a slight disadvantage. (For benefit of others contemplating the option...!)

I agree. With hill hold assist there is no need to have to turn the handbrake on or off manually!

Hands free handbrake! :salute:

I agree. With hill hold assist there is no need to have to turn the handbrake on or off manually!

Hands free handbrake! :salute:

i hate handbrakes and really looking forward to never having to use one again, most of the time now I just with my foot on the brake

Took me a little while to get used to it but I have to say it's one of the best features on the car. That said, I've lost count of the number of times I've returned to my car to check that I've put it on !. Just my OCD !!.

I hate it! Lol! Most of the time it's okay but then some times it won't come off automatically and says I have to press brake! I'd have a normal handbrake back all day! But that's just my opinion! Plus no more hand brake turns in the snow! No fun!!!!!

You can still handbrake turn, just hold the button up I think.

Interesting lol! Hopefully won't be having any snow soon though!

I test drove the new golf with hill assist, and thought it was magic, didn't encounter any of the issues raised here, although I didn't try a reverse up the hill manoeuvre! However, the dealer put me in a facing down the hill situation, and worked great.

Yeh, I've very briefly driven a Golf with the feature and it worked well