Dual Aircon Display......Faulty?

z1ggy

Reaction score
The colour of my 5 day old A3 is black and had been left in the sun all day. Got into it this afternoon to drive home, boy was it hot, switched it on and started to drive away.

After a couple of mins I noticed that the numbers on both of dual air con displays were missing segments at the top and bottom and one of the segments on the fan speed display was also missing. I was going to take a photo, but then thought I would drive straight to Audi so they could have a look. As I continued to drive and the car cooled down the display slowly started to correct itself, such that after 20 mins you could not see a problem.

So questions-
Has anyone else seen this?
What could cause this?

Thanks

The colour of my 5 day old A3 is black and had been left in the sun all day. Got into it this afternoon to drive home, boy was it hot, switched it on and started to drive away.

After a couple of mins I noticed that the numbers on both of dual air con displays were missing segments at the top and bottom and one of the segments on the fan speed display was also missing. I was going to take a photo, but then thought I would drive straight to Audi so they could have a look. As I continued to drive and the car cooled down the display slowly started to correct itself, such that after 20 mins you could not see a problem.

So questions-
What could cause this?

Thanks

I have a 12v cigarette lighter voltage moniter with an lcd screen. (not in my 8v)
Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive
If it stays in the sun in the car a black blob develops over the entire screen. when i put on the a/c it slowly disappears and i could eventually read the display on it.

So it seems the issue is the heat.
Is your car tinted? do you use a windscreen shade?

So questions-
What could cause this?

Thanks

Sounds like poor connections to your LED's caused by heat deformation exaggerating the poor contacts. I would drive to the dealer with the air con off to show them the fault.

I have a 12v cigarette lighter voltage moniter with an lcd screen. (not in my 8v)
Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive
If it stays in the sun in the car a black blob develops over the entire screen. when i put on the a/c it slowly disappears and i could eventually read the display on it.

So it seems the issue is the heat.

Is your car tinted? do you use a windscreen shade?

Thats not unusual with LCD'S, especially 'lower quality' ones, but the display on the A/C is not LCD.

However, heat is obvously the cause, but I would expect a quality display not to do this. A3's are sold in much hotter countries than the UK so it should be able to take the heat. I'd get a photo next time it happens to show dealer.

Thanks, yes next time I will definitely take a photo because it did look strange.

I don't have privacy glass or use a screen shade, though given this heat wave I may start with the shade.

I don't specially want the garage to take the dash apart to replace as I can't imagine it won't result in squeaks and rattles

Cheers

Happened again this Thursday, if you remember it was another hot one!

I got in the car, switched on, looked at the temperature gauge and all looked fine. Then after 30 seconds the read outs looked like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375559905949141

Note both temperature gauges had the same missing segments, the oC is missing and a segment is missing from the fan speed.

After about ten minutes the display looked like this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375559929600485

Has any one else seen this?

Cheers

Ps hope that the photos come out, apologies that I am somewhat of a "Mr Blurrycam"

It's probably too long ago, but if you're still around what was the outcome? Mine (registered Sept 2013, so similar vintage) did exactly the same this morning in -5 degrees ambient temperature; even to the extent that it was pretty much the same segments missing - top and bottom rows of the temperatures, and the "OFF" of "PUSH OFF". Shortly after I set off it was back to working perfectly.

I'm just wondering if it's going to get worse gradually over time...