S3 Build/Delivery Dates

geefunk1978

Reaction score
Website
www.gtdesignsolutions.com
Hi,
Not sure if this thread has been done before, but just wondered what build dates and quoted delivery dates people are getting for S3's they've ordered?
I ordered mine 2nd July but not had a build week date or anything yet. The estimated delivery date on the order form is 11th December.

Hi i am a longtime lurker. I am interested in an S3, but still find it incredible the waiting times for delivery. Will these times reduce in due course? I do not mind waiting 3 months, but 5 months is a tall order.

Ordered my S3 sportback 20th june and had build week 42 confirmed a few days later, although it has come slightly forward now to week 41..

Hi i am a longtime lurker. I am interested in an S3, but still find it incredible the waiting times for delivery. Will these times reduce in due course? I do not mind waiting 3 months, but 5 months is a tall order.

After speaking to the dealer the S3 is not officially released until September that's why there's a delay from ordering now. I think December is probably a bit pessimistic so fingers crossed it'll be built a bit quicker. Although they did tell me there's a shortage on even basic A3's as they have exceeded sales expectations.

Ordered an S3 Sportback three weeks ago, was given build week 41 two days after, and told that should put it on course for the first week of November.

I placed my S3 order around the 2nd week in June and was told to expect sometime in October, although I haven't been given a build week as yet.

Ordered my S3 sportback 22th june and had build week 41. Status: "provisionally scheduled".

Ordered mine, first day of ordering in June and was given build week of last week. I've not had an update yet so gonna ring tomorrow. I'm guessing delivery will be sept 1st.

Week 41 build for my S5, so all around the same time !

I need to see the new S3 in the flesh before I am convinced. All that chrome around the windows looks pretty dreadful and the car looks just too much like an s line diesel. I had the last S3 and at least that stood out a bit. I then had a RS3 for a while, now got a TTRS. May be a black edition will be OK? Then again, think I'll hang on for the RS3 next year. Sorry, nice as it will be, the new S3 doesn'y exactly appeal as much as the previous car and nor does the price! I sat down with the dealer last week and it came out at £38,000 with the spec I wanted! That's three grand less than my RS3 cost me brand new with the same options fitted! Come on Audi, they must think some of us were born yeaterday!

Reactions: CptMorgans
RS3 next year? I'm sure they're only released towards the end of the platform life, so would think a new RS3 is a good 3/4 years off yet. That is unless Audi change their strategy.....

Next year is what the dealer told me (this chap was only in Germany a few weeks ago and said he got that from the horses mouth) and I have also seen that quoted in a number of magazines. We'll see. I doubt Audi will wait that long as the last one sold like hot cakes and let's face it, to create the RS3 they don't exactly have to do much other than drop in the 2.5 and a 7 speed s tronic. Why has the new s3 still got a six speed box? Got 7 in my TTRS plus and also same in the RS3 I had.

Last edited:
That's a good question. The BMW 428i has a 8 speed box. With a 7 speed the car uses less fuel I think. I think it's the price. But the 6 speed works perfect in my TT 2.0.

Hi ordered mine mid June (last one they had allocated this yr) got my build week 43 with expected pick up in Nov - spoke to them today and they say there is a 8mth wait for them!

So good luck if you want one soon!

Mines been built! Just got the call, no news when it will be shipped but he's says he can't see a reason why they would hold it too long

Mines been built! Just got the call, no news when it will be shipped but he's says he can't see a reason why they would hold it too long

I'm guessing a couple of weeks yet, ready for 1st Sept where did you order?

Ordered on the first day of ordering, can't remember the date but it was early June.

It's kinda strange because my dealer has had nothing to tell him that 1st sept is the official date

Well I just hope my build wk improves somehow, I was tempted to leave my order until March if it came too late in the yr, but who am I kidding! Can't wait. Hopefully have a go in the Demo car if it arrives before mine!

It'll be worth the wait, plus when you come to sell or trade in they'll be like hens teeth to get hold of so we may get good prices based on demand!

I find it hard to believe that Audi cant cope with supply and demand in this day and age. I'd like to think they are protecting the value of their cars, what do you think?

I find it hard to believe that Audi cant cope with supply and demand in this day and age. I'd like to think they are protecting the value of their cars, what do you think?
Totally agree, but what can you do we still go back in for the road cred of the Audi brand

Just seen they've added the black styling pack to the S3 configurator, this is something I really wanted before I ordered but wasn't available! As they've delayed my car I'm hoping the order can be changed? Any ideas if you can change options, the car won't be ready until Nov/Dec?

Just seen they've added the black styling pack to the S3 configurator, this is something I really wanted before I ordered but wasn't available! As they've delayed my car I'm hoping the order can be changed? Any ideas if you can change options, the car won't be ready until Nov/Dec?

From what I have read on here you should be fine changing options, especially with that amount of time before its built.

I wonder how many people have ordered an S3 and have not driven one or even seen one for that matter? You could be in for a dissapoitment... I was out in Holland earlier this week and one of the guys I was working with had just taken delivery of a sportback s3 in glacier. It was very hard to tell it was an s3. It looked very much like an s line tdi. The seats are woefully lacking in thigh support (he actually had the optional sport seats) and the interior, whilst very nice, felt a tad underwelming. Driving wise it doesn't feel any quicker than the last s3 but it does ride better. The steering lacks feel and teh fuel consumption is as ever, way off what the Audi claim. He's a little gutted that the car lacks the presence he was hoping for and also, he's finding those seats a bit uncomfortable on longer journeys. Shame also about all that chrome around the window sills and the grill, which doesn't help the looks IMO. I think the only way the car could stand out more without a black edition and 19" wheels... is the colour. Chose that terrible dark blue and your s3 will dissapear into the ether, solar orange, yellow or the bright blue the name of which I forget - where are those colours on the option list? The last s3 had them as options. I think Audi have dropped a clanger with the new S3. I was actually looking at ordering one as with my two little lads now getting a bit bigger my TT needs to go (so the missis says), glad I held back now! So, got my eyes on the A45 AMG, just waiting to see and drive one before I splash the cash.

Last edited:
The S3 isn't a car for people who want to be noticed. People who want there car to stand out should get a Focus RS in that horrible green! As for the S3 looking like an A3 S Line - isn't that the point of the S Line? To have the cosmetics of a actual S but without the performance? (Although as a future S Line owner I don't expect nor hope for it to be mistaken for an S3)

I wonder how many people have ordered an S3 and have not driven one or even seen one for that matter? You could be in for a dissapoitment... I was out in Holland earlier this week and one of the guys I was working with had just taken delivery of a sportback s3 in glacier. It was very hard to tell it was an s3. It looked very much like an s line tdi. The seats are woefully lacking in thigh support (he actually had the optional sport seats) and the interior, whilst very nice, felt a tad underwelming. Driving wise it doesn't feel any quicker than the last s3 but it does ride better. The steering lacks feel and teh fuel consumption is as ever, way off what the Audi claim. He's a little gutted that the car lacks the presence he was hoping for and also, he's finding those seats a bit uncomfortable on longer journeys. Shame also about all that chrome around the window sills and the grill, which doesn't help the looks IMO. I think the only way the car could stand out more without a black edition and 19" wheels... is the colour. Chose that terrible dark blue and your s3 will dissapear into the ether, solar orange, yellow or the bright blue the name of which I forget - where are those colours on the option list? The last s3 had them as options. I think Audi have dropped a clanger with the new S3. I was actually looking at ordering one as with my two little lads now getting a bit bigger my TT needs to go (so the missis says), glad I held back now! So, got my eyes on the A45 AMG, just waiting to see and drive one before I splash the cash.

I was very tempted by the A45 AMG, I inquired about it a while ago and the Sales guy said he would ring me when there were details, I'm still waiting! They obviously weren't bothered about a sale. Also it would be a good proposition if it wasn't so expensive, I think £40k+ (with not many options) is too much for it, even if it has got 350bhp. Plus read the reviews (Evo) and it is quite underwhelming I think.
If the new S3 is even half as good as the 8P S3, it will be an amazing car. I haven't seen one, or driven one, but I know how good the S3 I've already got is so I'm not at all worried about ordering blind. As for the looks I've ordered with black styling pack and titanium wheels so will look the part.

I can only echo what the others have said. A quick flick through the pages of this thread, and you'll see that the majority of people love exactly that about the S3 (and all its previous iterations); its stealthy, subtle-looking, nature.

Personally I think it's a cracking looking car, but is for someone who wants to show off what they have? Probably not, but that's not the reason I've ordered one; but for similar reasons, I wouldn't dream of ordering an A45, Focus RS, Vauxhall/Opel, anything orange, or any other car that screams for attention in such an obvious way.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
When I ordered my S3, in its terrible dark blue, I was looking to buy a discrete, well made, fast five-door hatch with a bit of Q-car cachet. I will quite happily sacrifice some steering feel in exchange for 4wd and extra grip, allowing me to go round corners a little bit faster than I probably should. Having taken an s-line A3 for a test drive I'm confident the standard seats will remain very comfortable, even for my lanky frame, over long distances. And I'm pretty happy that a widely recognised as best-in-class interior will do its job better than most. I will know that I'm driving a properly sorted car, that is incidentally pretty rapid. I really don't care if other people know it or not, and I'm quite content knowing that my car isn't in a colour so violently garish you can see it from space.

Back on topic, build week 39 confirmed. Delivery end of October. First 8V S3 SB for Wimbledon Audi by all accounts so they're nearly as keen to see it as I am I suspect!

Reactions: Toadoftoadhall

Arent all the S cars the same? its always been like that if you want something to stand out more then you need to be looking at an RS anyway most who go for an S like that understated look myself included as the Q car look is what most are after when buying an S car.

As for MPG who believes what any car makers claim!!! infact who buys a car like this and worries about MPG if thats the case buy a oil burner, VW claim the new Mk7 GTI will do 40 mpg hahaha i borrowed a demo last month for 3 hours and was getting 26 MPG ok i was driving it hard but you will be looking at 32 mpg on a very steady run imo.

The A45 AMG is a cracking car but it will do even less MPG than a S3!! also the boot is tiny its about the same size as a mini,its also really dark inside the car and if you dont spec the pano roof if feels awful inside and the cheap fake carbon on the dash is nasty looking.

Dont get me wrong its a nice car and ****** quick but get your teeth insured as the ride on uk roads is harsh to say the least.

Concur with all the comments above and the S3 is what it is ......... and that's why we like it so much !

The chav-tastic cars noted which scream look at me again are what they are and appeal to a different market sector.

If you look at the entire Audi range, all of the S and RS cars are restrained and stylish in terms of the their subtle differences over the standard models and yeah that is a good thing.

As for the Merc A45 AMG - in terms of looks it is nothing special at all - I have looked at this car close up and it does not compare to the Audi in terms of quality or class of materials - inside the Merc, the plastic trim is very poor and A Class owners are complaining in big numbers about rattles and cheap plastic trim - its a new 'cheap' Merc so that is generating interest alone - but the looks are extremely subjective and for me under-whelming. It looks a very compact / tiny car and in no way whatsoever looks remotely worth its £40k price tag ... visually anyway. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it has great performance, but I really want to love the look of my car and know and see where my money has gone. Merc are trying to flog that car on its AMG badge and performance and I am sure they will succeed in doing so. Oh one other thing - the colour choice in the Merc is diabolical - very very drab and bland greys, solid red, black, white and two really poor blues - Audi certainly spoil us with paint that is for sure !

The Audi S3 just looks 'right' and how anyone could feel disappointed with their brand new S3 seems rather odd to me (where is the rolly eyes icon) and to then comment that the 'super sports seats' as fitted for years to the S5 and receiving great comments now offer poor support, well again I need that icon. Don't even get me started on the A45 seats, which are so thin and firm that they don't even offer lumbar support.

All of the regular A3 buyers appear to be over the moon with their new cars, so very strange that one of the 1st people to take delivery of their S3 is complaining ... I guess all those positive reviews / Guys that have seen and sat in the car at motor shows must all have been missing something.

Hmmmmmmm !

Reactions: Toadoftoadhall and Daveotto
Another point to make about the A45 is it looks the same as any other AMG kitted A-class,ok the front grill is different and exhausts but thats about it, so im not sure how someone can say the S3 looks like any S-line when at the end of the day the A45 looks like any AMG kitted A-class!!

Wheres the difference?

Trolling me thinks.

Sorry for the off topic:blush:

Slightly off topic but... has anyone driven a right hand drive S3 in the UK? Called my dealer this week and he didn't know when they would be getting an S3 demonstrator, so I'm guessing the answer will be no.

Perhaps the disappointed dutch new S3 owner had let his Mrs have too much say in the car choosing process!

In all seriousness he couldn't have done his homework. The look of the new S3 has not changed since it was at Paris motor show last year so to be disappointed with its presence suggests he never even saw a photo and somehow had a considerably different expectation. :think: