When the 3 year period ends on your PCP deal..

brad9753

Reaction score
And you intend on chnging the car for a new one, how have people in the past (or intend to in the future) make sure that they get a good deal on the next car and a decent amount for the existing car to go towards some of the next deposit?
Is it just me or does it seem that in this situation the dealer almost has the buyer in the palm of his hand and bent over a barrel at this point? For example I got £700 off the price for my order. How can I get that next time? Apart from not seeming to keen on the idea of refreshing the car with them and playing hard to get?

I'd want to get more off. A lot of people here got around £1500-2000 off. I got just under £1900 discount.

You don't have to stick with the same dealer even if you're on a PCP. I played two off against each other to get the price I wanted at my nearest dealer.

If you can sell the out-going car privately you should be in a very good position to renew the PCP. As said above, you don't need to stay at the same dealership so no reason you can't shop around and place yourself in the same position you're in now.

Wow 1500-1700?! How do people manage that? When I eventually got the 500 off, I pushed it more but he was insistent that he could do no more, and even then the 500 off was replaced with asset protection and autoglm (that has since been removed). So wasnt originally really a saving of 500, was replaced with something else.

Wow 1500-1700?! How do people manage that? When I eventually got the 500 off, I pushed it more but he was insistent that he could do no more, and even then the 500 off was replaced with asset protection and autoglm (that has since been removed). So wasnt originally really a saving of 500, was replaced with something else.

You walk in with printouts of online broker quotes and be prepared to walk out if the price is not too your liking. I asked for the LifeShine to be thrown in for free after saving £1530 and he said ok.

Hi Brad,

Was this Bristol Audi? If so, they're part of the Mon Motors Group and are extremely tight in my experience. Try a Listers dealer a little north of where you're located as they tend to be more customer focused and want your business. Listers would get you close to the figures quoted here.

And on the original question, you can buy or sell your car at any dealer. They all try and screw you on the sale. Get the best purchase price you can, then ring a few dealers for a bid price on your sale car. Regardless of PCP you can sell to anyone and then settle the finance.

I was a first time car buyer but as somebody who runs sales teams for a living I know all the tricks and the products the sales guys will get commission on. For example I ensured I purchased the Autoglym treatment (for which the sales guys get high commission overrides) and I made it clear I was going to buy the car there and then with minimal fuss if I got the deal I wanted. As a result I got over £2k off the car bringing it down from £29k to £26.8k

I don't think you've been had, Brad. £500 is a good discount because dealers genuinely are telling people there is no margin for manoeuvre. Yes some people on here have negotiated bigger discounts etc, but I suspect these are the exceptions rather than the rule. The important thing was you decided you were happy with the price and deal when you agreed it, which means you felt the car was worth the money. You should certainly be guaranteed top-service from the dealer as you haven't screwed them down on price to within an inch of their lives!

Reactions: SJW
I got a £700 discount and a guaranteed trade in value. I don't think I've been had. I'm sure there are people who pay list price, especially for a car as popular as the A3.

I got about £2200 off the list price, but have gone for a lot of options - works out at about 7%. They also tried to sting me on trade in value to the point where I didn't accept it, and am selling it privately instead.

Think I will be selling it privately. Having read things on here.
Lol maybe I wasn't "had". Just Bristol audi are annoying me a little ATM. It took me almost 3 weeks to have the asset protection removed because everytime I asked or checked if it was removed the servers would be convienently down or they don't have the permissions to get it do e and they will ask someone else. And never did.

Tell them to write it down and do it later, take their name etc. If they then try and charge you for it you can refer back and say you called to get it cancelled.

Think I will be selling it privately. Having read things on here.
Lol maybe I wasn't "had". Just Bristol audi are annoying me a little ATM. It took me almost 3 weeks to have the asset protection removed because everytime I asked or checked if it was removed the servers would be convienently down or they don't have the permissions to get it do e and they will ask someone else. And never did.

Time to let them know you're not happy with the service when you're paying for a premium car.

Snap Cemerson - I managed to get marginally higher discount which was back in February minus the broker fee which equated to the same.

To Brad, I would say it depends how much time/energy you put into looking around for the discounts/deals. I looked around for a while but did not have the time myself to do the full mileage shopping around and utilised the services of a broker. As you have heard from others, they use broker quotes as leverage to get a deal matched when going direct to the dealership. Not all dealerships will bite and get drawn in to a dutch auction showing desperation for the business.

I would not say you are in the palm of the dealer if you go down the PCP route and when coming to the end of the contract date. You have options available to you. If the future value you have been given for the vehicle is quite low, which I have understood Audi are doing because they want you to enter into another PCP arrangement again, you will have a cash sum/deposit/equity going into the next vehicle if you decide to go the same PCP route. If that future value is low when compared to the market rate at the end of the PCP date, you can always buy the car outright (sell it straight after) and know that you have benefitted from Audi undervaluing it. Where it would be interesting is if the future value given by Audi is higher than the market rate at the end of the PCP term. Then you will be in the situation of deciding to hand the keys back. I think this would be unlikely but it can happen as a client of mine experienced but this was on a Mini a couple of years ago.

I am not so sure of potential discounts the second time round coming from the end of one PCP contract going in to the next. I would have thought, that you can still shop around for a discount, perhaps somebody who has gone from one PCP to the next can confirm what they got or did?

Last edited:
Reactions: brad9753