EM TuningVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vertigo1

Thread: Retro Fit SD Card Sat Nav

Reverse Gear

Status

Retro Fit SD Card Sat Nav

Hi there! I have recently ordered a New A3 1.4 sport. However i have no decided that i want the SD card sat nav. I have spoken with the company that i'm leasing from and they said that it wasn't possible to amend the order (they did try). I contacted one of my local Audi dealers and they said it was possible to retro-fit it but it would cost £680 to supply and fit. No as far as I'm aware all they need to do is enter a code to enable it and supply the SD card for the maps. I could be wrong, but that seems like a lot of money! Has anybody had this done for cheaper?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    The SD NAV upgrade comes as a kit / part from Audi. The kit includes the SD card with the maps, your license to use it, and the activation codes to enable it on the car. List price for this is around £500, plus then the dealer labour on top to install it. Only a dealer can fit this, as it has to be authorised by Audi. As you say, minimal work required, but I can see a dealer charging a minimum of an hour so that's another ~£100 on top of the kit.

£680 is one of the higher prices I've seen mentioned on the forum, I reckon you might be able to knock them down to £600 if you ask nicely.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Welcome to the site.

The hardware is generally fitted factory but not activated based on the buyers choices, so they subsidise this until such time its activated, which then covers towards the hardware you didn't pay for initially, its a fair POV for them & allot less hassle for you retrofitting from scratch.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks. I can see audi's point of view. But asking the dealer to fit an extra that normally costs £495 when you buy the vehicle for £680 seems a bit greedy if you ask me.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    With respect, why cant the dealer make some money out of the deal, afterall you bought the car from a nice fancy showroom that cost several million to build etc & costs a lot to run, in grand scheme of things, £180 isn't that much for there take especially when the tool they use for it is £10K plus each, plus all the bills & salaries, its small change overall, just suck it up & pay if you want it enabled :P

1st Gear

Status
    Does anyone know what the map update situation is with the built in satnav? On the A3 I have on order I've not specced it, but may look to upgrade later. The thing that has put me off built in systems in the past has always been that map updates have always been infrequent and expensive compared to portable units. Is this still the case with the 8V unit?

6th Gear

Status
    It may seem like a lot of money just to enter a code and supply an SD card but, by the same logic, it costs Microsoft pennies to produce and package a DVD with Office on it - would you expect them to sell it for a fiver though? The cost isn't just the tangible hardware you're purchasing, it's the licence to use the software and data and the development and production cost of that is incorporated into the price.
    NHN likes this.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by driver_tim View Post
    Does anyone know what the map update situation is with the built in satnav? On the A3 I have on order I've not specced it, but may look to upgrade later. The thing that has put me off built in systems in the past has always been that map updates have always been infrequent and expensive compared to portable units. Is this still the case with the 8V unit?
    If its anything like 3G MMI then it will be Audi only for map updates due to needing a connection to Germany to activate.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Great news! Ive found a dealer that will do it for the cost of the optional extra! So with respect i think the dealer were having a laugh trying to charge an extra £180!

1st Gear

Status
    What dealer out of curiosity??

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkymarky321 View Post
    Great news! Ive found a dealer that will do it for the cost of the optional extra! So with respect i think the dealer were having a laugh trying to charge an extra £180!
    That's excellent! £180 was definitely too steep for fitting
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Oxford Audi are going to do it for £500.

2nd Gear

Status
    does the roof ariel need to be retro fitted aswell? not sure if this comes on all A3s or it needs to be added?

1st Gear

Status
    I think that comes on all models, with all the prep for sat nav. As pointed out you just need the SD card and then it activating.

1st Gear

Status
    Yes, my understanding is that all UK spec A3s have the GPS receiver in place. If your car is an import it may be a different matter though.
    A3 8V 1.8T 6 speed 3 door S line - Daytona Grey. Interior lighting pack, privacy glass, comfort pack, electric folding heated dimming door mirrors, tyre pressure monitor, electric lumbar support, cruise control, acoustic parking system rear, B&O sound system.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    No need for antenna install, all 8V's come pre-spec'd with gps antenna afaik.

1st Gear

Status
    Looks like your local audi dealer is adding a little too much to the price.

Good job on finding a better offer, shows its certainly worth shopping around.
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    The SD NAV upgrade comes as a kit / part from Audi. The kit includes the SD card with the maps, your license to use it, and the activation codes to enable it on the car. List price for this is around £500, plus then the dealer labour on top to install it. Only a dealer can fit this, as it has to be authorised by Audi. As you say, minimal work required, but I can see a dealer charging a minimum of an hour so that's another ~£100 on top of the kit.

£680 is one of the higher prices I've seen mentioned on the forum, I reckon you might be able to knock them down to £600 if you ask nicely.
    laughable really, £680 for a sd card with a few maps...how much is a cheap but reasonable sat nav now? £100 max, lol you have to love Audi!

Neutral

Status
    Anyone know if the S3 has the NAV button installed (next to gear lever) as part off the sat-nav prep?

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add RYuill on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinbanshee View Post
    Anyone know if the S3 has the NAV button installed (next to gear lever) as part off the sat-nav prep?
    Yes there is also one on the steering wheel
    2014 S3, S-tronic, Glacier white, Black styling pack, Privacy glass, Light and rain sensor, LED headlights, Black 3D inlays, Non smoking pack, Adaptive cruise control, ASS, Hold assist, Sat Nav

Neutral

Status
    Thanks, even though I don't spec Nav from the factory?

1st Gear

Status
    Every A3 comes prepped with Sat Nav. You're ultimately paying £500 for a SD card, is the easiest way of putting it
    2014 Audi A3 8v 1.4 COD Sport, 3 door hatchback in Brilliant Red, with Privacy Glass, Comfort Pack, Hold Assist, 17” x 7.5J ‘10-spoke Dynamic’ design alloy wheels.

Neutral

Status
    Yeah, I was just wanting to check that when you don't spec Nav from the factory that you still get all the Nav buttons and all in the same place.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MA3RC View Post
    Every A3 comes prepped with Sat Nav. You're ultimately paying £500 for a SD card, is the easiest way of putting it
    You're paying £500 for the SD card, mapping data and licence more accurately...
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Excellent, cheers for the info folks

Neutral

Status
    Guess I'll stick to Google maps on my Moto X... hehehe

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi Guys, Newby here, currently got an '06 8P 2L TDI SB S line and swapping for a '13 8V 2L TDI on Saturday.

As it hasn't got Sat Nav was interested in this "upgrade" by buying SD card from ebay and paying for fit only.
    however there seems to be two types of SD card on ebay "mmi navigation (mib-s)" and "RMC" what one do I need for the A3?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Abzz View Post
    Hi Guys, Newby here, currently got an '06 8P 2L TDI SB S line and swapping for a '13 8V 2L TDI on Saturday.

As it hasn't got Sat Nav was interested in this "upgrade" by buying SD card from ebay and paying for fit only.
    however there seems to be two types of SD card on ebay "mmi navigation (mib-s)" and "RMC" what one do I need for the A3?
    You need to buy it from the dealer. Period.

Reverse Gear

Status
    OK Jasso, that doesn't answer my question but thanks for the quick reply! does anyone know the difference between the MMI and the RMC? i.e. which one does the 8V A3 take?

6th Gear

Status
    I think jasso was saying that the dealer will know so if you buy it from them you won't have an issue. The main cost is in the licence, not the card or data itself, so getting it from ebay isn't going to save you much/any money. Worth getting quotes though from the dealer for the part + activating, and activating only if you supply your own part, to see what the difference is - I could be wrong.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks Cemerson, as its for an MMI display I am going to assume I need the "MMI" SD card.
    I will ask for a quote and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

6th Gear

Status
    I have no idea which you'll need, what the difference is (or whether there is one!)

1st Gear

Status
    (mib-s) is the card, if you buy one from ebay (Audi dealer) it will cost you around £195.....and then you will still need to have an Audi dealer activate itSD Sat Nav Card.jpg
    Last edited by frazzeld; 3 Weeks Ago at 17:52.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I think jasso was saying that the dealer will know so if you buy it from them you won't have an issue. The main cost is in the licence, not the card or data itself, so getting it from ebay isn't going to save you much/any money. Worth getting quotes though from the dealer for the part + activating, and activating only if you supply your own part, to see what the difference is - I could be wrong.
    Exactky this is what I meant. But hey, asking never hurt anyone.

Reverse Gear

Status
    But surely anyone with Vagcom can activate it?

Neutral

Status
    I think the car has to connect to Audi in Germany via the internet to have it unlocked.