Trading in your old car

mistertee

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've never bought a new car before, so I've never had a waiting period but I'm going to put in an order for an sline a3 shortly. I was wondering what happens when you agree a trade in value for your old car?

If they offer £5k now, how does that work when you finally get around to dropping it off 3 months later? They must adjust is somehow, but what method do they use?

It depends. When I initially was talking to the dealershop where I ordered mine, they said its worth £X today, but after September, this goes down to ~£Y (due to the plate change etc). I managed to negotiate a middle ground where they would hold at a guaranteed value provided I order the next day. Some dealers will say that we can promise this, but need to revalue nearer the time... If you haven't ordered your car yet, best bet is to ring around and try and work into the deal a fixed value for your car if your order through them..

Hey there. This is exactly what is happening to me. What they do is protect the repayment amount, or the price to change if you don't have finance. So as the value of the trade in dropped, so did the amount owed. Either way the repayments will be the same when i get the car, as they were when
quoted in March....hope this helps