JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Only 1 month old...

The wait was finally over. Four months that never seemed to end. What a beauty she was, and what a joy to drive. The only thing he needed to get used to was the jog dial for the MMI. After a month he still needed to look down and think hard which way to turn that stupid knob. Then the road curved to the right. He didn't...

MMI: designed in Germany

edit: don't forget to click the link...
    Last edited by Blurk; 7th July 2013 at 11:56.

2. # ADS
    ADS

I sat in a left-hand drive version of the new A3 Saloon this afternoon. I am right-handed and using the dial with my right hand and sitting on the left everything seem that bit more logical. The salesman was saying he is left-handed and finds it no problem.

My wife finds the same problem with her A1. When she turn the dial in her car it seem to turn the wrong way, but if she sits in the passenger seat it all seem much better.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    In my Nissan there's a setting to change which way the dial operates... amazed there isn't one here tbh.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

AJB
    1st Gear

Status
    The menus have a curved edge. If you think of the MMI knob as rotating around the curve rather than moving up and down a list then it all makes a lot more sense.

6th Gear

Status
    Yup, I know that, but it's a shame you can't change where that appears as well - left or right
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Can't say it's ever been an issue for me. As said above, the dial rotates around a circular menu with a cursor or bullet to indicate the selected option. If it was the other way around, it wouldn't make sense.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

3rd Gear

Status
    Pretty gutted for the guy in the photos. I'd be kicking myself though and probably wouldn't mention anything to do with the MMI!
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Why did he get out the drivers side, the wet side!!
    Now it needs a new door some people don't think, company car maybe?

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldoug View Post
    Why did he get out the drivers side, the wet side!!
    Now it needs a new door some people don't think, company car maybe?

I wondered the same thing...maybe he jumped out before hitting the ditch!!!
    A3 SB,1.4TFSi COD,S-Line, Privacy Glass, Daytona, Sat Nav

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I sat in a left-hand drive version of the new A3 Saloon this afternoon. I am right-handed and using the dial with my right hand and sitting on the left everything seem that bit more logical. The salesman was saying he is left-handed and finds it no problem.

My wife finds the same problem with her A1. When she turn the dial in her car it seem to turn the wrong way, but if she sits in the passenger seat it all seem much better.

I'm left handed and have not had an issue using the dial in both my current A3 and A4, previously.

The comments about the curved edge for the menu options is good, follow the curve and it should help!
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

5th Gear

Status
    The first drives in the car it caught me out, but now i'm completely used to it. So much so that I find myself turning other dials the wrong way around the house! Doh!!
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack