Hope I've done the right thing!

geefunk1978

Reaction score
Website
www.gtdesignsolutions.com
Been on here a while, currently got a S3 8P and the wife's got an A4 Avant TDI S line.

I've just ordered a brand new S3, spec:
3 door S-tronic
Glacier White
18” x 7.5J ‘10-spoke’ design titanium matt alloy wheel
Bang & Olufsen sound system
Super Sports seats
Acoustic parking system
Light and rain sensor package
Satellite Navigation system – SD card based

Delivery Nov/Dec.

Thing is my wife is about to drop our first child though so I just hope I've done the right thing ordering a 3 door?! Help!!

Get the sportback unless you can use the other halfs car every time you take the child anywhere lol! Plus I feel the SB looks better anyway!

Congratulations, on both fronts!

As someone who's recently become a dad myself I'd echo Ruthus_1's comments. Even if you plan to only ever use the A4 for the little one though, you're life is likely to change a lot over the next few years, and the flexibility of a 5 door would be worth the 2% premium in my opinion.

Cheers for that, much appreciated!
My own opinion is I just prefer the looks of the 3 door a lot more than the sportback. I think if I leave an isofix base in the back all the time it shouldn't be too much of a hassle clipping a seat in and out! Well hopefully.....
I just hope the sports seats I've specced move a lot easier than the buckets that are in my S3 now as they're an absolute pain to move back and forth!!

There is no easy way of getting a small child in and out of a 3Dr car! Sure the S3 will be more than worth it though!!!

I tried getting a car seat into the back of a 3 door 8V A3 with the basic SE seats. Even with the passenger seat as far forward as it would go it wouldn't fit through the opening without folding the carry handle down. Then I had hold it without the handle. Not easy when the baby weighs a stone plus the weight of the seat and you've got to keep it reasonably upright. That's without the problems of longer doors in narrow parking spaces.

Aesthetics is very personal. How much it influences your decision is also down to the individual. If I was going just for appearance I'd probably be getting a Merc, but for me it's about 4th on my priorities list.

Thing is my wife is about to drop our first child though so I just hope I've done the right thing ordering a 3 door?! Help!!

I agree with above posters. 3 door cars and toddlers don't really mix! You'll probably be fine for the first 9 months while the baby is in the front.

I ended up selling my 8P S3 after 18 months for this very reason. The back pain became a major inconvenience trying to lift in a toddler and do up the straps.

I also had to drop the seat in through the tailgate - it wouldn't fit through the gap between B pillar and seat.

Totally agree 3dr's and young kids don't mix, you'll end up scratching you door shuts with the baby seat!

If you have gone for the acoustic parking and light/rain sensor makes sense to take the comfort pack instead for the extras?

Just don't let the neighbours see it.

It's a large three door mate with a decent sized boot so i can see any issues with it at all!

My son goes in the back of my 3 door 8P S3 in his seat assuming the ground is flat. It's a real PITA getting him in when the car is parked on our drive as the slope means the front seats always want to slide back while you're trying to get him in. Fortunately he spends most of his time in my wife's sportback. When the S3 goes next year it will be for an S3 sportback partly because of this reason. The length of the doors on the 3dr is another reason for changing they make things awkward with getting a car seat in and out in a tight car park space.

I currently hava a form puma (3 door) and when choosing a new car it had to be a 5 door, mainly for practicality when carrying more than 1 passenger. I originally looked at the A3 3 door and thought it was great but discarded it purely for those reasons. It was only when I revisited I saw the Sportback (at that stage I was unaware of the 5 door), that's when I knew that was the car for me.

I've just ordered a brand new S3,
Thing is my wife is about to drop our first child though so I just hope I've done the right thing ordering a 3 door?!

Wrong question. Should have asked was it smart to buy a new car? :blush:

Any idea how much you are going to spend on diapers the next few years? That's your S3!!! :haha:

Just kidding, enjoy your new S3 and drive your kid around in the A4.

The harsh suspension of your car should not be a problem for your newborn in case you wondered, just drive carefully.

Seems like the general consensus is that a 3 door is a bad idea!!
Good job we've got the A4 estate then if it becomes an issue!

think you've answered you're own question with that, as you have a bigger second car then yes you have made the right choice ;)

you're life is likely to change a lot over the next few years, and the flexibility of a 5 door would be worth the 2% premium in my opinion.

I wish I'd bought a 4 door. Having a baby with 3 doors is just ridiculous unless I'm on my own and put her in the front.

We tried to tell you. :undwech:

The danger of forums where posts stick around for years lol

Baby in the front. Mrs in the back. Sorted.

3dr all the time...unless you get the Saloon! ;-)

Glad you can see the funny side. :)

Reactions: geefunk1978