EM TuningVolks Autos
Results 1 to 28 of 28
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cemerson

Thread: About to Order

  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    188

    About to Order

    After a couple of months of lurking about on the board, and checking all my spec options at various dealerships I'm about to order! I did have a brief flirtation about ordering a Q3, but decided to come back to an A3 in the end!Decided on the followingA3 2.0 TDI S-Line SportbackShiraz RedHeated SeatsComfort PackFolding MirrorsInterior LED light packPanoramic sunroofPrivacy glasshill hold assistDebadge on rearCurrently ringing round my local dealers, after also getting some online quotes from drive the deal, broadspeed, orangewheels... Minimal joy so far.. one dealer has run out of allocation, the other would only budge to the tune of £600 and seemed to think he was doing me a favour!. Waiting for another to get back to me. Theres another 2 - 4 which are within reasonable distance which I also will ring. If no joy, then a broker it shall be... Any tips/suggestions on this, or is the blunt approach best i.e. best quote of £x can you beat it?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    Well this is what I ordered on 25th April (pick it up in the next week or so...)

    A3 1.8TFSI S Tronic Sport
    Scuba Blue
    Black Milano Leather
    Comfort Pack
    Interior Light Pack
    Non-Smoking
    Storage Pack
    Technology Pack
    Xenon Pack
    5 Arm Kinetic Alloys
    Advanced Key
    B&O Sound
    Door Mirror (dimming and folding)
    Heated Seats
    Parking System (F & R and reversing camera)
    Privacy Glass
    Tyre Pressure

    After calling around a few dealerships I managed to get £2700 discount and the heated seats thrown in for free. I didn't go for the electric seats as I find they're too slow for me. Overall it's an 8% discount, where as a broker would only offer me 7%. Face to face is always better I find as well.

    Matt

  4. #3
    97catalunya's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southend-on-sea
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Well this is what I ordered on 25th April (pick it up in the next week or so...)

    A3 1.8TFSI S Tronic Sport
    Scuba Blue
    Black Milano Leather
    Comfort Pack
    Interior Light Pack
    Non-Smoking
    Storage Pack
    Technology Pack
    Xenon Pack
    5 Arm Kinetic Alloys
    Advanced Key
    B&O Sound
    Door Mirror (dimming and folding)
    Heated Seats
    Parking System (F & R and reversing camera)
    Privacy Glass
    Tyre Pressure

    After calling around a few dealerships I managed to get £2700 discount and the heated seats thrown in for free. I didn't go for the electric seats as I find they're too slow for me. Overall it's an 8% discount, where as a broker would only offer me 7%. Face to face is always better I find as well.

    Matt
    Wow what a great spec and a good deal too, you must be so excited! I will be looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing your review on the 1.8 S-Tronic
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    Wow what a great spec and a good deal too, you must be so excited! I will be looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing your review on the 1.8 S-Tronic
    I'm very excited! The last I heard (last wednesday) was that my car was waiting to be shipped over! I've asked for another update today but not heard anything just yet.

    A good tactic to getting a better deal is to actually connect with the salesperson. Ask about their life/family/holiday etc and if they like you they'll try and do something for you. If you were in their position, would you rather give a cracking deal to a nice person, or a rude obnoxious person?! I know what I would rather do...!

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Well this is what I ordered on 25th April (pick it up in the next week or so...)A3 1.8TFSI S Tronic SportScuba BlueBlack Milano LeatherComfort PackInterior Light PackNon-SmokingStorage PackTechnology PackXenon Pack5 Arm Kinetic AlloysAdvanced KeyB&O SoundDoor Mirror (dimming and folding)Heated SeatsParking System (F & R and reversing camera)Privacy GlassTyre PressureAfter calling around a few dealerships I managed to get £2700 discount and the heated seats thrown in for free. I didn't go for the electric seats as I find they're too slow for me. Overall it's an 8% discount, where as a broker would only offer me 7%. Face to face is always better I find as well.Matt
    What dealership did you get it from in the end if you don't mind me asking? I do always try to be honest and pleasant with the dealerships (without giving too much away of course), although I really object to pushy sales tactics like I had to experience recently. Went to a local dealership to enquire about some options to help decide the final spec. Salesman basically didn't want to know, kept on going on about if I wanted to a deal today, not giving any information on the options I asked about which would have helped!

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    I've ordered mine through Oxford Audi, but Amersham offered me the same deal (I live 1 mile away from Oxford Audi, so made sense to order through them).

    I find that when a salesman pushes with me, I push back. They're pushy because they know it's overpriced and they want you to fold. Use it to your advantage!

  8. #7
    97catalunya's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southend-on-sea
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by smk82 View Post
    Salesman basically didn't want to know, kept on going on about if I wanted to a deal today, not giving any information on the options I asked about which would have helped!
    Wasn't Southend Audi by chance the guy I spoke to used the "so what can I do to get a deal today" 3 times! Working in sales myself I hate that line, almost made me walk out!
    I also got tired of "let me go and find out" response to most of my questions a out options, do these guys not get any training?
    More interested in selling me high profit add ons than options, paint protection key protection etc.
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

  9. #8
    97catalunya's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southend-on-sea
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    A good tactic to getting a better deal is to actually connect with the salesperson. Ask about their life/family/holiday etc and if they like you they'll try and do something for you. If you were in their position, would you rather give a cracking deal to a nice person, or a rude obnoxious person?! I know what I would rather do...!
    Like I say working in sales myself I always use this approach as I know I always give more discount if I like the person I'm dealing with, but I think I was dealing with a trainee as all I kept getting was him walking off to ask someone else if he can do that price, I was thinking for gods sake just bring the guy out here so I can deal with him directly this is just too painful!
    So I guess it's sometimes luck of the draw who you get allocated too when you walk through the door.
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    Wasn't Southend Audi by chance the guy I spoke to used the "so what can I do to get a deal today" 3 times! Working in sales myself I hate that line, almost made me walk out! I also got tired of "let me go and find out" response to most of my questions a out options, do these guys not get any training?More interested in selling me high profit add ons than options, paint protection key protection etc.
    Camberley... I'd gone in there a while ago on my last car to check out colours.. despite me saying I'm just looking they went on and on about was I going to buy today... really put me off. I'll buy when I want to!. That was 5 years ago. I thought, surely they must have improved by now - def not! Worse!

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    I've ordered mine through Oxford Audi, but Amersham offered me the same deal (I live 1 mile away from Oxford Audi, so made sense to order through them).I find that when a salesman pushes with me, I push back. They're pushy because they know it's overpriced and they want you to fold. Use it to your advantage!
    How would you come back at this out of interest? i.e. if they say.. well we can only do £x off, and that's taking the skin of my back blah blah?

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    Amersham did that to me, initially offering only £1000 off. I told him that a broker could get me more off, though I would prefer to order through a main dealership. I also said that I'd be asking other dealerships if they could beat his offer, and if they could I would be going to them as at the end of the day, I'm spending a lot of money!

    He understood, thanked me for my honesty and bid me good day. A few days later he called, wondered what deal I had by then (which is the deal I accepted with Oxford), wanted to match it but I said Oxford is on my doorstep so made a lot more sense to go down that route.

    At the end of the day, if you play dealerships off each other (I had quotes from 5 and 1 broker), you'll eventually get a good deal. If not, accept the best deal you've got, you can't do anything more! Plus, if it's 60 miles away, it's a nice first drive to have in a brand new car!!

  13. #12
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,805
    Be prepared to walk out the dealer unless you get the deal you want! If they don't ring you back within 2 weeks after walking out... you probably got the best they were going to offer you anyway
    Daveotto likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  14. #13
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Be prepared to walk out the dealer unless you get the deal you want! If they don't ring you back within 2 weeks after walking out... you probably got the best they were going to offer you anyway
    Agreed! As I said, you're spending a lot of money!

  15. #14
    Daveotto's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Be prepared to walk out the dealer unless you get the deal you want! If they don't ring you back within 2 weeks after walking out... you probably got the best they were going to offer you anyway
    I've done that before now and had the salesman folllowing me down the forecourt to get me back round the table
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  16. #15
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,805
    Yep, the last thing they want you to do is leave!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    12
    I've specced an sline, 1.4 COD sportback, with comfort pack (acoustic parking & cruise), 5 yr warranty, folding mirrors, and interior lighting pack and it came to £25895, using drive the deal it says £23842, quite a saving. I would have thought there are deals to be had out there, but you have to do the legwork.

    I keep yo-yoing between the sline and sport, I'll order in a few weeks once I've settled.

  18. #17
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26
    Don't allow yourself to fall for the line "i only can do this price today" unless the Audi RRP goes up, the same deal will be on offer the next day and the next day after that.

    Got 8% off quite easily, took a copy of the Orange Wheels quote with me and made it clear this was my ball-park figure.

    Some garages didn't wanna play ball, but they didn't get the business.

    Stick to your guns and have some patience, don't allow them to flog you GAP insurance for £750, you can purchase it online for £150.

    Also don't buy the Lifeshine product for £350 get em to throw it in for nowt

  19. #18
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    188
    I know what you mean.. I like the S-line for the exterior styling and flat bottomed steering wheel, but if I dump the panaromic roof I can have the same spec on the sport with the wheels I like and and S-tronic box.. sigh decisions.. What do you think - paroramic or s-tronic?

    xrkt77 - I know I've been ringing round a few dealers tonight. One tried exactly that line.. They had gone down to 27100 fairly easily, but then he said - if you pay deposit tonight I can prob do 26999, but only tonight. Tried at 26800 but he wasn't having any of it.. said no as was waiting to hear from another couple of dealers. If he's still interested he will get back in touch.

    oh and how did you get a copy of the orangewheels quote? they won't let you print them out? Best way I've found is to print screen and copy to word?

  20. #19
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    I've ordered mine through Oxford Audi, but Amersham offered me the same deal (I live 1 mile away from Oxford Audi, so made sense to order through them).

    I find that when a salesman pushes with me, I push back. They're pushy because they know it's overpriced and they want you to fold. Use it to your advantage!
    Interesting that you mentioned Oxford Audi - I've tried them, and the best they claim they can do is £500 off! Bit different from £2700!. I do appreciate of course that it depends how we finance them, and what their allocation is etc though... I even mentioned that I'd heard on a forum (naming no names!) that they were good for decent deals... As has been mentioned, I think it depends on who you end up speaking too..

  21. #20
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,805
    From what I've seen, I think saying £500 off is the best they can do is pretty standard for all the dealers to say... I wouldn't believe it for one minute!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  22. #21
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by smk82 View Post
    I know what you mean.. I like the S-line for the exterior styling and flat bottomed steering wheel, but if I dump the panaromic roof I can have the same spec on the sport with the wheels I like and and S-tronic box.. sigh decisions.. What do you think - paroramic or s-tronic?

    xrkt77 - I know I've been ringing round a few dealers tonight. One tried exactly that line.. They had gone down to 27100 fairly easily, but then he said - if you pay deposit tonight I can prob do 26999, but only tonight. Tried at 26800 but he wasn't having any of it.. said no as was waiting to hear from another couple of dealers. If he's still interested he will get back in touch.

    oh and how did you get a copy of the orangewheels quote? they won't let you print them out? Best way I've found is to print screen and copy to word?
    I just converted it to a pdf file or if you haven't got the adobe software just take a pic with your camera phone.


    Despite my dealer telling me on the Saturday, that price was only available that day, they were phoning me up on monday morning chasing my money.

    Never accept the first offer ! Or even the 2nd

  23. #22
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    188

    Talking

    I won't! Prices are beginning to drop a little.. just had a quote in from another local- £1979 off list price + october delivery, so a little sooner than claimed for other dealerships... price for my trade in dropped a bit however..It was their first offer though. Worth considering, although getting closer to a price I would deal at..I think what amuses me most is that they all try the.. " if we can match/beat the quote can you put a deposit down now" line, as if anything they manage is a special deal only... how daft do they think we are? (Answers on a postcode to howmuchofamugdoaudidealersthinkcustomersare)
    Last edited by smk82; 4th July 2013 at 14:18.

  24. #23
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    188
    Looks like I will be ordering at the weekend..! My final call of the day was to Guildford Audi (who I had a good experience with a couple of weeks ago), explained the situation, and the best price that I'd had from Newbury. Asked them to beat it. They have - price of £26,700 which is excellent! Best price I found from Orangewheels was £26653, so for the sake of £47, I'll order from them! However I will still try and negotiate a deal on accessories/services etc.. He knows he's got me interested and wants to keep my order, so hopefully a little more elbow room possible...

  25. #24
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    43
    Been looking at broker prices and UK car brokers have come out the cheapest so far....

    New Cars | New Car Deals | New Car Prices

  26. #25
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    320
    I got £2,500 off list price with GAP thrown in for free. I Just showed him a quote from Drive the Deal and 5 mins later they matched it. Bought from Leicester Audi, part of the Sytner group.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

  27. #26
    Rup
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21
    Ordered mine for Audi Camberley. Just showed them the Drive the deal price and told them to match it and i'd sign there & then. They agreed straight away. Thank god for Brokers, before then the dealer (of any decent make) would make you work for £500 off. Always could get thousands off Ford/Vauxhall/Renault etc but you loose it all in depreciation!

  28. #27
    JohnnyM100's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Hampshire/Surrey border
    Posts
    362

    About to Order

    Quote Originally Posted by Rup View Post
    Ordered mine for Audi Camberley. Just showed them the Drive the deal price and told them to match it and i'd sign there & then. They agreed straight away. Thank god for Brokers, before then the dealer (of any decent make) would make you work for £500 off. Always could get thousands off Ford/Vauxhall/Renault etc but you loose it all in depreciation!
    Rup.

    Glad you got Camberley Audi to match it. I tried a similar thing within the group but they refused to even get close. All very pleasant and had built good rapport with salesman.

    Ultimately I ordered elsewhere.

    Camberley Audi for servicing is the best I have ever seen from a franchised dealer in terms of quality, no unnecessary work and customer service.

    John.
    Last edited by JohnnyM100; 5th July 2013 at 10:55.
    Enjoying my 8V

  29. #28
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    188
    Interesting points regarding Camberley. Went in there recently to look at a few options when finalising spec. Salesman was rude and pushy and unhelpful. Constantly kept trying to push for a deal that day, when I'd stated that I was only looking for info.. He did mention that they wouldn't even attempt to get close to internet prices, so interesting that they were able to match Drive the Deal...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. About to order a new Black Edition - Advice?
    By jayc89 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th July 2010, 22:10
  2. New A3 - about to order, last minute advice.
    By palexr in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 8th July 2010, 16:11
  3. About to order a new S3 !! open sky ???
    By summy25 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 20th December 2009, 19:28
  4. About to order S3 final couple of questions!
    By pluves1 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 8th May 2009, 13:22
  5. about to order
    By matmaxedout in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 4th April 2008, 19:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO