Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

I just can't get used to the handbrake!

Hello

I really love my new A3 but I really can not get used to the handbrake! My main problems come when I'm parked down hill and having to push the brake pedal to take it off meaning I can't get my byte to reverse backwards!
    Does anyone have any pointers for me?
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Provided your seatbelt is on, and the drivers door is shut then the handbrake should automatically release without the need to push the foot break first.

Try this: with the handbrake on put it in reverse, lift the clutch and apply enough acceleration in order to start moving the car back up the hill. You should find the handbrake releases automatically at the point at which the car starts to move.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    Also the level of revs needed to initially move the car has 3 settings iirc, and can be adjusted with VCDS. so if you feel like your slipping the clutch a lot before the brake releases you can soften the 'hold' with vcds.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

1st Gear

Status
    Vcds?
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    My car seems to tell be to press the brake pedal even when I have my seat belt on and doors closed! Suppose only had it 2 weeks and will just take some getting used to!
    Thanks for your advice!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

6th Gear

Status
    VCDS is a tool used with pc software to change a whole number of settings and features within your car ecu's. Also a host of other things including service resets, fault codes scanning, live data reading, and retrofitting. I remember playing around with a hire car as the handbrake seemed to hold on, and i changed the setting so just a minimal attempt to move allowed the brake to release. If your not sure see if there is somebody local with a similar system to have a look for you?
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthus_1 View Post
    My car seems to tell be to press the brake pedal even when I have my seat belt on and doors closed! Suppose only had it 2 weeks and will just take some getting used to!
    Thanks for your advice!
    Once you have got used to the electric hand brake, it's really great! I had it on my A4 Avant and now on my A3. I occasionally drive my wife's car, a Volvo C30 and, initially, I usually forget to take the normal handbrake off before moving forward! A bit embarrassing at traffic lights!

As has been mentioned, you need your seat belt on (and drivers door closed!) for the handbrake to work automatically.

Do you have Audi hill hold assist? This means I do not have to apply or release the handbrake at all! All automatic!
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TreborA4 View Post
    Do you have Audi hill hold assist? This means I do not have to apply or release the handbrake at all! All automatic!
    Isn't this just the same without it as the handbrake will release automatically when you move?

1st Gear

Status
    No hill hold assist! Think I will just have to do some messing about to alter/get used to it!

Thanks again for all the advice!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Isn't this just the same without it as the handbrake will release automatically when you move?
    With hill hold assist, there is no need to apply the brake yourself as it automatically comes on when stopped. Release is automatic as with brake without hill hold assist.
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TreborA4 View Post
    With hill hold assist, there is no need to apply the brake yourself as it automatically comes on when stopped. Release is automatic as with brake without hill hold assist.
    So does that mean when you come to a stop, the handbrake is applied automatically as well as releasing?
    On order (June 2013):
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI, Scuba Blue, Xenon light package, Comfort package, Folding door mirrors & Advance Key
    Confirmed build date early August Built, delivery September for 63 plate, ​collection on 2nd Sept 12pm COLLECTED

6th Gear

Status
    It actually keeps the foot brakes held on without you having to hold the pedal down, but the effect is the same (other than the fact that your brake lights stay on). I think if you turn the engine off while hill hold assist is active the handbrake then comes on anyway.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    It actually keeps the foot brakes held on without you having to hold the pedal down, but the effect is the same (other than the fact that your brake lights stay on). I think if you turn the engine off while hill hold assist is active the handbrake then comes on anyway.
    That's correct!

Neutral

Status
    Loving HHAssist.

Firm press of brake pedal = HHA keeps foot brake on. Auto release at biting point

Turn engine off or remove seatbelt whilst stationary = handbrake applied.

Since turning it on I haven't touched either of the brake switches.

1st Gear

Status
    Well I'm all sorted now! Thanks again!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Thanks cemerson, I wasn't sure about this feature and if a needed it.
    On order (June 2013):
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI, Scuba Blue, Xenon light package, Comfort package, Folding door mirrors & Advance Key
    Confirmed build date early August Built, delivery September for 63 plate, ​collection on 2nd Sept 12pm COLLECTED

1st Gear

Status
    Hill hold assist i don't have but i find the car holds itself on a hill in traffic for say two seconds when release the foot brake. Not sure what the point of hha would be when it already does this?
    1.4 TFSI 122ps A3 SportBack. Comfort pack, Audi sound system, Daytona grey, SD Sat Nav, S line trim. Love it!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by viperfire View Post
    Hill hold assist i don't have but i find the car holds itself on a hill in traffic for say two seconds when release the foot brake. Not sure what the point of hha would be when it already does this?
    If that's the case, then that should be enough for me. Don't really travel up/down hills.

Viperfire, can I ask what VED band (tax disc) is your car?
    On order (June 2013):

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by viperfire View Post
    It holds automatically with HHD indefiently untill you pull away, so if in traffic on a hill you wouldnt have to keep putting your foot on the brake after the car releases after 2/3 secs. just an over and above the standard set up, i dont have it, but have had it on other cars and you do come to like it
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

1st Gear

Status
    I love the electronic handbrake. Always forget myself when in a car with a mechanical one now.

I love the way it holds for a second or two on a hill start.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by deci View Post
    I love the electronic handbrake. Always forget myself when in a car with a mechanical one now.

I love the way it holds for a second or two on a hill start.
    Glad you like it. I test drove a golf mk7 which had the hill assist feature and I thought is was great. Have ordered it for my Audi, but have to wait till sept!

can the hill assist feature be fitted retrospectively, vcds?
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.