• 1 Post By NHN
  • 1 Post By dieseldoug
  • 6 Post By hittchy
  • 3 Post By markwiggy

Thread: Diesel power button

1st Gear

Status

Diesel power button

My wife has just found out how to get the extra power from the car by pushing the accelerator pedal down on to the switch to get the extra power from the car. Then she mentions WHY I didn't tell her before typical woman!! But anyway she is very impressed with the extra power, you also hear the change in the note of the engine while this in use, MPG who cares.
    SJW likes this.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Put a rubber block about an inch in height under pedal & say it was a software glitch, which has now been fixed so its slower, lol.
    SJW likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    isnt that just the kick down? it is on my 8p anyway?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes but his is a manual, so it cant kickdown as such
    hittchy likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    It only works when Drive Select is in efficiency mode in my experience - obviously it's keeping some power in reserve for economy reasons. In dynamic mode it does nothing at all. Not sure about the other modes.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    So the manual does have a kickdown stopper on the pedal then?

1st Gear

Status
    I will check the mode it's in but it halls ass all the time, I know it will not be in economy mode that's for sure..... Nothing to do with kick down on manual transmission!,!!
    I will find out more and report
    icebun likes this.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    It's not a 'kickdown' as such but similar in feel. There is a point of resistance at the end of the throttle travel similar to that found on auto models. I only drive mine in Auto or Dynamic mode and I find it doesn't do much at all, beside fully open the throttle. I guess if you weren't pushing the throttle all the way down, you weren't exploiting the full power of the car anyway. I find I very rarely need to push it down so far!

It may well be that it functions differently in efficiency or comfort modes though as has been stated above.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    It only works when Drive Select is in efficiency mode in my experience - obviously it's keeping some power in reserve for economy reasons. In dynamic mode it does nothing at all. Not sure about the other modes.
    I refuse on principle to drive in efficiency.

The whole point of buying diesel over petrol was so that I didn't have to worry about economy!
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

Third Gear

Status
    Only really use Dynamic, did drive the return leg of a 70 mile round trip (35miles) in efficiency mode only to achieve 3 mpg more. Think my car will live in Dynamic mode from now on.

Mark
    hittchy, dieseldoug and SJW like this.
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have a 2.0 S Line 3 door and in efficientcy and auto l also find that mpg is worse than in dynamic - hence it stays in dynamic.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    It has a similar "stopper" whereby you have to push a bit harder to overcome a little resistance, then the pedal moves a bit further.

It's obviously not "kickdown" though as it's not affecting your gears, just seems to give you all the engine's power when in the efficiency mode.

I use Dynamic all the time and it does absolutely nothing at all.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Is it only the diesels that have this...?
    A3 2.0 TDI S Line Daytona Grey with Comfort Pack and SD Sat Nav. LOVE IT !!!!!

6th Gear

Status
    On cars I've driven with the speed limiter option (no idea why Audi didn't include this, I use it all the time in my car!), it overrides the limit temporarily when you push past the resistance point
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    My petrol 1.4 also has this button
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    I have not been back out to the car to check the mode it's currently in, but when my wife is on the button she has just joined a fast flow of traffic and having to accelerate fast hence she will also be doing between 3300-4000 RPM also so she aint hanging around....
    This is usually in 2nd to 4th gears where she has broken the speed limit of 70 anyway..

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    My petrol 1.4 also has this button
    Hmmm... is it cars that have cruise control fitted then?
    A3 2.0 TDI S Line Daytona Grey with Comfort Pack and SD Sat Nav. LOVE IT !!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo77 View Post
    Hmmm... is it cars that have cruise control fitted then?
    The car isn't fitted with cruise control.

1st Gear

Status
    Just checked the car manual page 85 which states this "button" is a kick down used in manual gearbox cars when in ECO mode. This will give the car more acceleration when pushed.
    But we use the car in auto and use the "kick down" button which changes the engine noise of the car and it appears to change the acceleration of the car also.

When you check page 85 it will also refer you to page 129