A3 COD 1.4tfsi - problems !

Architect

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just taken delivery of my first new car, a3 1.4tfsi cod sline - black. Car looks fantastic however a few items are bugging me

• No iphone 5 lead - any one know when this will arrive?
  • There is no indication on the dash if i am using 2 or 4 cylinders . Same engine on the A1 does show this so why not in the A3!! I assume there will be a software update at some point to do this
  • Not getting great MPG - averaging in the late 30's and not driving it hard - no were near the late 50's as advertised !!
  • concerned that the turbo linkage rattle will happen in the next while - mentioned this to the dealer when picking the car up and he had no knowledge of this. Why do the dealers continue to lie to us when they obviously know there is a problem !!!!
  • lastly very high tyre noise - standard sports suspension on pirelli tyres!
The car looks really well, and drive great - just a shame that these items are taking away for it !

Hello Architect,

I havent got the Cod/1.4 petrol but I do have an S-line with sport suspension and on the Conti tyres I also get high tyre noise on certain road surfaces.

I originally asked about the turbo rattle and whether it was only the 1.4 petrol engines affected. Seems to be. Have you looked in the thread about turbo rattle/linkage?

I cannot comment on the cod not displaying whether in 2 or 4 cylinder mode. I agree with your comment that if it can be displayed in an A1, then it should be easy to do for the new A3s.

I've just recently got an iphone5 and like you have the same problem. I'm using my iphone4 and Itouch with the correct connector and for the iphone5 I just charge with a standard USB through the phone box and bluetooth for calls and music if I want to access whats on the iphone5. I think an adaptor might become available soon for the iphone5. There are some threads which discuss this.

Definitely agree the car looks great and drives very well.

PS: I am getting great MPG though...

Cant comment on the IP5T
There is no indication on the DIS re 2 - 4 cylinders......it does indeed exist on the A1...the A3 manual is incorrect where it states that you need to drive under certain conditions....I have had mine for 3 weeks now and tbh you'll forget about wanting it!....just drive it ...you can feel the 4 - 2 once you have identified it.

MPG IS poor....I average overall 36mpg...I hit rush hour daily...I had a long run at the weekend and averaged on the single journey 45MPG...though this was fully laden and was fairly 'hilly'...I had a quicker route into work this morning and hit 42MPG...thus far the COD is a novelty but of course has the benefit of extra power.....now leave it in efficiency mode and drive like SJW(ha!) and you may gain much higher figures.

I haven't witnessed any rattle... if it does I know I wont be alone and I'm sure there will be a fix soon.
Haven't really noticed the tyre noise...standard suspension...but then I came from a rock hard Scirocco and I thought how quiet it was!!!

The turbo rattle is evident on the 122bhp 1.4, but I believe the engine is different on the COD so I haven't heard it suffering the same issue.

On my 122 I am averaging 41mpg, and if I drive like my nan then I've had it up to 53mpg on a 12 mile rural trip. Generally if conscious of economy it will average 45 to 50mpg on a trip, but I get bored and slip it into dynamic mode far too often which kills my overall average - it is good fun though! I would expect the COD mpg to improve as they are run-in, let it get a few thousand miles under its belt first.

Last edited:
Should be the same engine in both the 122bhp and COD as they share the same 1395cc EA211 unit.

now leave it in efficiency mode and drive like SJW(ha!) and you may gain much higher figures.

haha.... if only I was in efficiency mode. Still in auto. Get the best of both worlds with auto. Must try dynamic to see how the mpg fairs in this mode. Moonlight, I can spare you 10mpg and still have as much fun!!! :)

Reactions: moonlight
I also have a COD but with sport spec. The tyre noise is louder than i expected and definitely louder than the SE i test drove. Thats the cost of lower profile, wider tyres i suspect.

On a200mile motorway run i averaged 50mpg, my commute to work gets me 46 and city driving 38mpg. Roughly ten mpg below quoted figures. No cars meet the quoted figure and, considering its new, i can see my COD improving by 3 a 4 mpg over the first 1k 2k miles. What i am interested in is that these figures are comparable to a 1.4 122 but delivers much more in terms of perfomance (i found the 122 gutless).

Audi say theres a iphone 5 cable in the pipes and will be available soon. Luckily, your library can be copied to SD card and used for the time being.

Should be the same engine in both the 122bhp and COD as they share the same 1395cc EA211 unit.

The cylinder block is the same, but the heads are different to accommodate the rather different cams. The turbos could be different, as well---this could be checked by someone with access to ETKA.

haha.... if only I was in efficiency mode. Still in auto. Get the best of both worlds with auto. Must try dynamic to see how the mpg fairs in this mode. Moonlight, I can spare you 10mpg and still have as much fun!!! :)

ive left my car in dynamic 99% of the time, I did a 35 mile journey as a test in Dynamic and achieved 50mpg, did the return journey in efficiency and achieved 53mpg, drove slower on the return journey. So not sure it makes that much difference to be honest, except car does feel quicker and much more responsive in Dynamic.

Mark

10 mile mixed town and country driving tonight in my 122, very pleased with the economy. The 140 COD should easily achieve similar figures :)

This was just in standard Auto mode in Drive Select.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372280470976.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372280470976.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,653
MPG will never get close to the claimed as it is recorded on a rolling road in lab conditions.

Plug your iphone 5 lead into the female USB cable that should've been provided. Not a complete solution but you can charge it.

The rolling road isn't the problem. It's the driving cycle being so gentle it's the equivalent of 0-62mph in 72 second.

• Not getting great MPG - averaging in the late 30's and not driving it hard - no were near the late 50's as advertised !!

That sounds about right. Mine is the 122 version, and averages about 43mpg doing mainly journeys under 4 miles. But the car is pretty quick off the mark and torquey, so your car should be very quick.

• lastly very high tyre noise - standard sports suspension on pirelli tyres!

Yes mine has Pirelli P7 tyres (225/45, 17" wheels), and they are very noisy on most surfaces, although perhaps getting slightly quieter as they bed in.

Last edited:
I must say, I think mine are quieting down a bit too.

Just to re-open this thread: I have an A3 1.4 TFSI CoD and it has run so far 800 miles.

My average MPG is around 30MPG and I already had to top up the oil.

Is the MPG so low because it is bedding in? I am on Efficiency mode.

Thanks for your support !

Does anyone have a clear recording of what the turbo linkage rattle sounds like?

Reactions: LuisM
Does anyone have a clear recording of what the turbo linkage rattle sounds like?

i have kept a look out over the last 6 months since I started looking at C.O.D. and have not have not seen a single problem of turbo linkage rattle on the 1.4 140ps C.O.D., only problems seen have been with the 1.4 122ps TFSI and the new clip clip seams to fix this if needed (if fitted correctly).

Just to re-open this thread: I have an A3 1.4 TFSI CoD and it has run so far 800 miles.

My average MPG is around 30MPG and I already had to top up the oil.

Is the MPG so low because it is bedding in? I am on Efficiency mode.

Thanks for your support !

I did a lot of looking around / reading up before ordering on the C.O.D. And worked out all the numbers.
Actual MPG Average seams to come out at 45-46 MPG over the long term with normal driving, some can get up to mid 50's on long motorway journeys and if pushing it will drop to mid 30's.
Once engine has bedded in, i hope yours (and mine) will end up closer to these figures. Most have quoted lower initial MPG's when brand new so takes time, and depends a lot on the type of journeys you are doing, short and stop / start journeys will always lower MPG.

Reactions: Gswearengin
Thanks Fragup. I have switched to Auto yesterday and managed a big 31MPG.... it is 1 MPG better. Cough. I wonder how long (or how many miles) it takes to bed in....

Does anyone know?

Thanks Fragup. I have switched to Auto yesterday and managed a big 31MPG.... it is 1 MPG better. Cough. I wonder how long (or how many miles) it takes to bed in....

Does anyone know?

I would suggest taking on a longish motorway/dual carriageway run of 30 - 50 miles at a steady 60 - 70mph and if that does not get you above 40mpg even with under 1000 miles on the clock I would drive it straight to the dealer and show him the DIS display and ask them to look at it pronto

This is why I went 1.6 TDI on my A1 and A3 tried and tested and always get 60+ to the gallon...

Worth also doing an ACTUAL measurement of mpg over a few tanks rather than trust what the DIS is telling you - it could be a lot different. If it is, it's something that can be adjusted with a correction factor in VCDS.

This is why I went 1.6 TDI on my A1 and A3 tried and tested and always get 60+ to the gallon...

I think the issue here is that the expecation is around 45mpg against a test figure of ca. 60mpg and a reality of ca 30mpg. I am sure if your 1.6TDI was only returning 50mpg you would be equally unhappy and questioning if your car has an issue.

Personally, 150BHP 2.0TDI always driven hardish (except with the Mrs onboard) and returning 48 - 50mg compared to my 8P 1.4TFSI returning 40mpg driven not quiet as hard.............happy days!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: SJW
I think the issue here is that the expecation is around 45mpg against a test figure of ca. 60mpg and a reality of ca 30mpg. I am sure if your 1.6TDI was only returning 50mpg you would be equally unhappy and questioning if your car has an issue.

Personally, 150BHP 2.0TDI always driven hardish (except with the Mrs onboard) and returning 48 - 50mg compared to my 8P 1.4TFSI returning 40mpg driven not quiet as hard.............happy days!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'm not between two engines- the 1.4 tfsi COD and the 2.0 tdi 150 bhp.
Any advice please? The price is similar and I've the figures in the audi brochure suggest that the 1.4 is slightly faster?

Well I'm not between two engines- the 1.4 tfsi COD and the 2.0 tdi 150 bhp.
Any advice please? The price is similar and I've the figures in the audi brochure suggest that the 1.4 is slightly faster?

i have driven the 2.0 150 diesel quite a bit on test drives and is a lovely engine, (couldn't test the C.O.D.) last car was a diesel and current is a petrol so have no loyalties. The diesel is a lot more expensive the C.O.D. to buy to the point you need to have it for something like 80000 + miles to break even (worked out on another thread inc residual values). The C.O.D. Is 85kg lighter which increases acceleration and handling over the diesel although is 10ps less. I am picking up my C.O.D. In about a week. So will post a full review / comparison. Nice choice to have as both get great reviews.

If that's the case in terms of payback, why would anyone buy the diesel when modern petrols are quieter, have plenty of torque, take a much more pleasant fuel and are generally nicer to listen to / be in?!

If that's the case in terms of payback, why would anyone buy the diesel when modern petrols are quieter, have plenty of torque, take a much more pleasant fuel and are generally nicer to listen to / be in?!

not knocking the diesel as I said is great, but numbers don't add up for me unless you really love your diesels or do very high motorway mileage. Would work for a rep. For example. Or stick a tow bar on and tow a caravan ?
I think the petrols have moved on faster than diesels over the last few years.

I agree totally, the advancement of the 2.0T engine in our mk5 golf gti to the new S3 engine is gobsmacking. The refinement, mpg, noise, everything is so different. Nice to see actually as the drive over the last 10 years has felt dominated by the diesels but obviously the manufacturers have been advancing petrol tech too.

My previous 4 cars were all diesels and I had forgotten what it was like to drive a petrol car. The refinement and smooth acceleration more than makes up for the additional fuel costs (13.7p as oppose to 11p per mile in the 1.6 TDI)

Last edited:

I average around 9000 miles a year and paid the premium to get the better in gear acceleration when fully loaded as I found the 1.4 was lacking slightly in this department.

When alone in the car and in dynamic mode the acceleration in 3rd from 35-40 mph upwards is almost draw dropping and guaranteed to push your head back in the headrest and put a smile on your face.

So to answer RVP20, if you want relatively cheaper motoring go for the petrol but if you want a tad more fun go for the 150bhp 2.0TDI if your budget allows.

C.O.D. 140ps Has approx 13 % more power for same weight as standard 1.4 122ps and is over a second quicker to 60mph than 122ps and quicker than diesel 150, so not fair to judge on a less powerful and slower version of engine.
The C.O.D. didn't come out till may/ june this year, well after you ordered your diesel so am assuming you are basing on standard 1.4 , sorry trying to remember old posts ?
Sorry if I am wrong, not trying to be picky , just sticking up for the C.O.D. Squad !

will post a comparison when I get mine in next week or so, as have drive the 150 diesel few times, and once quite recently.

Reactions: Daveotto
C.O.D. 140ps Has approx 13 % more power for same weight as standard 1.4 122ps and is over a second quicker to 60mph than 122ps and quicker than diesel 150, so not fair to judge on a less powerful and slower version of engine.
The C.O.D. didn't come out till may/ june this year, well after you ordered your diesel so am assuming you are basing on standard 1.4 , sorry trying to remember old posts ?
Sorry if I am wrong, not trying to be picky , just sticking up for the C.O.D. Squad !

will post a comparison when I get mine in next week or so, as have drive the 150 diesel few times, and once quite recently.

Correct was comparing to standard 1.4TFSI, which I drove for 3 years. I did also test drive the std 1.4TFSI which I thought was quicker than my 1.4. However, extrapolating based on the torque figures which puts the COD (250nm) somewhere between the std 1.4TFSI (200nm) and the TDI (320 or 340NM depending in where you get your figures) I would still expect the diesel to gave slightly better pull. The COD and 2.0TDI are very close and IMHO are the best two engines in the range and the choice really is the marginal economics of the petrol v the in gear TDI performance.

Short of putting the two side by side on the road to confirm my hypothesis I would love to see the in gear acceleration figures of the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fragup
Hi, goes without saying really that the torque figures prove the 2.0l diesel will have more 'grunt' than the 1.4. But really you should be comparing the same capacity engines. However my remapped 1.6 would give the diesel a dam good run for its money. I came from a car that had over 362Nm and boy did that one make me smile...

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the replies! Seems like both are good choices! I a stage around 30 miles a day to and from work but I want the most powerful Izmir the two cars- in an ideal world is opt for the 184 diesel but budget won't allow.
Maybe I need to test drive the COD to see the power as it seems a winner on paper but the drive might be underpowered?

I did a C.o.D. test drive with an equally skeptic mindset, and I was blown away. So much fun! I had previously done a test drive in a 2.0 TDI and found it absolutely capable, but not very exciting. I have gone with the 1.4 TFSI C.o.D., which should be arriving any day now.

i can only say that on a test drive the "zippiness" around town and the overall refinement of the gasser won us over...I cannot say that the TDI isn't the better all-around engine or wouldn't be better in most everyday situations. We don't drive enough to justify the TDI and don't pay for fuel, so it was a pretty easy decision really.

GS

I drove a 2.0l diesel saloon on my one and only test drive. It was typically 'diesel like' in its performance, tons of turbo lag below 1600rpm compared to my present car. The front end felt heavy and less 'pointy' than my own car, but that might have been due to electrically assisted steering setup. Plus the diesel noise could be heard from within the car. I'm looking forward to the 1.4, on paper it only has 8ps less than my present car, in a normal state of tune, but 10Nm more in torque....