Potential new buyer

mistertee

Reaction score
Hello all!

After months of procrastinating and whittling down various cars, I have gotten down to 2 cars

+ Golf GTI
+ A3 sportback 1.4

I've driven both, the gti is a better drivers car, but I can't see myself using it to it's potential, so it's the a3. Unfortunately they only had a s-tronic in, and I really want to test drive a manual with 1.4 COD to see what the difference is, but it appears they have very few demonstrators available!

However, the fly in the ointment is the stealability of the A3. I live in Manchester, and I'm not niave and know that a car like this might be targetted by thieves, but I've heard it's stealable without the keys, just like some BMW's. There are at least 3 cases I've read about online. What is the take on here about it?

Thanks

That's news to me! I've had a quick search and can't find any occurances of this - do you have any links? As another potential buyer, I'd certainly be interested in reading up on it

I think the issue you're talking about with thefts was / is common for the 8P. I've not heard anything about the 8V yet. Interested to hear if these are at risk though.

The 1.8 A3 would seem a more logical engine to compare with the golf GTI.

Yeah would have thought!

An S3 would have been a better comparison! I've got to the age where I am either too old to drive hot hatches and want to be sensible (a3) or continue to be a hooligan (gti). Hence driving the two to see which one I liked, and I'm afraid to say it's Farah Slacks for me!

Reactions: SJW
Fair enough but the golf is also available in more sedate versions and the A3 can be even more racy than the GTI in S3 guise. So golf/a3 and performance can be separate decisions.

Suppose it depends how you spec the a3 to how young/old it looks lol!

A non-GTI golf has never appealed to me, they are good cars but a bit boring to look at. If I go for an A3 it will have to be the s-line spec.

So no one has heard of the newer audi being stolen without keys? I guess it's very early on in it's life for this to be reported anyway.

End of the day .... A good car thief can steal any car!

Reactions: First Ever Audi
You will when you get up in the morning and its gone! You could have a armed guard and they'd still get it!

Cant see anyone wanting to steal a 1.4 Audi lol.
If they want your Car they will take it ,Simple.

This is pure speculation by me, but I'd guess a golf GTI is a desirable car for certain criminals.