Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    2nd Gear

Status

Advanced key question

I can probably guess the answer to this one but here goes:

If you unlock the car, get in, start the engine then get out with the key, can you lock the car with the engine running?

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    I found all my questions answered here

http://youtu.be/q4Dk9iMG5Co
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

2nd Gear

Status
    I've watched that video a few times but it doesn't answer my specific question.

2nd Gear

Status
    Anyone?

3rd Gear

Status
    I don't yet have my car so I can't go and test it for you.
    All I can say is from the video it shows you can't lock the car from the outside with the engine running, but as you say it doesn't show opening and closing the door as you exit then try locking it? However I'm sure in a worst case scenario you could always lock it the old fashioned way with the key .
    In my Impreza days people used to use Turbo Timers to pre heat and cool down their cars. However I didn't get one fitted as insurance company's normally won't cover you if the engine was left running when it was stolen, also as I don't have a driveway I'm sure there is a law against leaving a car running unattended? Perhaps the rules are different in Germany so that's why they offer it as an option?

I am prepared to be proven wrong though as I'm no expert
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

6th Gear

Status
    I don't think the pre-heat option has the engine running, it just uses the battery from what I remember from the manual
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I don't think the pre-heat option has the engine running, it just uses the battery from what I remember from the manual
    The VW California uses a remote controlled diesel heater (with timer) as a night heater, but it also uses this to preheat the engine coolant, is it a similar system or does it use an electrical heating element? Only curious as I don't think it really get cold enough in the UK to warrant a pre heater. Also this system would obviously only work on diesel cars.

6th Gear

Status
    No idea. I only know what I saw in the manual, and I think it's a purely electronic system. It's not available in this country anyway!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    I don't think it really get cold enough in the UK to warrant a pre heater.
    Maybe not in Essex, but I've seen -15C up here in the wilds of the North.