EM TuningAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 36 of 36
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Vertigo1
  • 1 Post By Daveotto

Thread: The saloon is HOW much?

  1. #1
    DiscoPanda's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    159

    The saloon is HOW much?

    I was eagerly awaiting the A3 Saloon, but now see that its the best part of £6k more than the Sportback. Not only that but the A4 saloon is cheaper! Really??? Its almost as if they've deliberately made it uncompetitive. What am I missing?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Wicked666's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    582
    Probably skimming pricing. High price to get the people willing to pay that and then reduce once demand starts to reduce. Personally I think a sport back would be more useful as can drop seats to fully load the car but appreciate some people would prefer the saloon
    S3 Sportback

  4. #3
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    360
    Not sure where you've got your info from but the saloon is £925 more than the Sportback, a least in s-line guise anyway.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

  5. #4
    DiscoPanda's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by squiretolley View Post
    Not sure where you've got your info from but the saloon is £925 more than the Sportback, a least in s-line guise anyway.
    Using the 'from' prices on the Audi website:

    A3 Sportback: £18,525
    A3 Saloon: £24,305
    A4 Saloon:£23,960

    Doesn't compute. Even allowing for s-line vs base spec.

  6. #5
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    360
    I think it's because they're only offering sport and s-line specs on the saloon. The 2.0tdi s-line is £925 more than the sportback version.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

  7. #6
    frazzeld's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    136
    I think the sportback starts with a 1.2 engine

  8. #7
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoPanda View Post
    Using the 'from' prices on the Audi website:

    A3 Sportback: £18,525
    A3 Saloon: £24,305
    A4 Saloon:£23,960

    Doesn't compute. Even allowing for s-line vs base spec.
    Quick look at the configurator comparing the 1.8TFSI base price for sport and s-line the saloon seems to be about £2200 more for each, assuming spec is the same
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  9. #8
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    You guys need to compare like-for-like, the saloon is limited to certain engines and configurations only. As already mentioned, the saloon has a price premium of around £900 over the sportback.

    Personally I don't see the point myself, if you want a saloon get an A4.

  10. #9
    RossR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    490
    I don't see the point of the A4. If you want a saloon get an A8.

    I think the A3 saloon looks great, but I need a car that will fit nose to tail on the driveway with my wife's car. The sportback will just about fit.

  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    59

    A3 Saloon Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
    You guys need to compare like-for-like, the saloon is limited to certain engines and configurations only. As already mentioned, the saloon has a price premium of around £900 over the sportback.Personally I don't see the point myself, if you want a saloon get an A4.
    I think the price difference is even less than £925 as the A3 Saloon prices will not go up on 01/07/13 whereas all other A3's will. My dealer quoted me a difference of £580 to Sportback after the price increase is allowed for. This premium is acceptable to me for what looks a really classy car. I have nothing against the look of the Sportback which looks great but I prefer a saloon and do not want an A4 which is about to be replaced and costs about another £3,000. Only problem I have is the 150 PS diesel with S-tronic is not open for order until November.

  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadstraik View Post
    I think the price difference is even less than £925 as the A3 Saloon prices will not go up on 01/07/13 whereas all other A3's will. My dealer quoted me a difference of £580 to Sportback after the price increase is allowed for. This premium is acceptable to me for what looks a really classy car. I have nothing against the look of the Sportback which looks great but I prefer a saloon and do not want an A4 which is about to be replaced and costs about another £3,000. Only problem I have is the 150 PS diesel with S-tronic is not open for order until November.
    Not really related, but I dont suppose you know whether the S3 prices are increasing on 1st July too? As they've only been on sale for less than a month, so I'm guessing not

  13. #12
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    59

    A3 Saloon Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzz View Post
    Not really related, but I dont suppose you know whether the S3 prices are increasing on 1st July too? As they've only been on sale for less than a month, so I'm guessing not
    Sorry, I do not know if the S3 prices will increase on 1st July or not. It would seem a bit harsh given they have only been released a few weeks ago. The S3 Saloon will not be available to order until February 2014.

  14. #13
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post

    Personally I don't see the point myself, if you want a saloon get an A4.

    Had a B8 A4 and would never buy another. Its not quite that simple. Offset pedals, blind spots, squeaky door seals, poor visibility.... I could go on!

    If I wanted another saloon, I'd buy the A3.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro


  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    230
    It seems to depend on the engine and model line that you go for. £925 between the SB and Saloon diesels but a whopping £2,405 difference between the COD petrol models in both Sport and Sline configs. Can't see the justification for that.

    Audi A3 1.4COD Sport ROTR:

    Saloon: 24,305.00
    SBack: 21,900.00
    Hatch:21,280.00

    Audi A3 2.0TDI SLine ROTR:

    Saloon: 26,425.00
    SBack: 25,500.00
    Hatch:24,880.00

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by deci View Post
    It seems to depend on the engine and model line that you go for. £925 between the SB and Saloon diesels but a whopping £2,405 difference between the COD petrol models in both Sport and Sline configs. Can't see the justification for that.

    Audi A3 1.4COD Sport ROTR:

    Saloon: 24,305.00
    SBack: 21,900.00
    Hatch:21,280.00

    Audi A3 2.0TDI SLine ROTR:

    Saloon: 26,425.00
    SBack: 25,500.00
    Hatch:24,880.00
    You are not comparing like with like.

    The Saloon Sport prices include the s-tronic gearbox in the £24,305 figure for the 1.4 COD
    The 3-door 1.4 COD Sport with s-tronic is £22,760 which makes the Saloon £1665 more.
    The Sportback 1.4 COD Sport with s-tronic is £23,380 making it £1085 more.

    Adding the s-tronic to any model generally adds around £1,440 to the overall price and the Sportback is around £600 more than the 3-door.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    You are not comparing like with like.

    The Saloon Sport prices include the s-tronic gearbox in the £24,305 figure for the 1.4 COD
    The 3-door 1.4 COD Sport with s-tronic is £22,760 which makes the Saloon £1665 more.
    The Sportback 1.4 COD Sport with s-tronic is £23,380 making it £1085 more.

    Adding the s-tronic to any model generally adds around £1,440 to the overall price and the Sportback is around £600 more than the 3-door.
    I was trying to. I was unaware of the standard s-tronic and thats why I couldn't figure out that 2.5k price jump.

  18. #17
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    59

    A3 Saloon Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by deci View Post
    I was trying to. I was unaware of the standard s-tronic and thats why I couldn't figure out that 2.5k price jump.
    I agree with other posts that you have to compare like with like and this only gives a difference of £925 between Saloon and Sportback and after 1st July this will reduce to only £550 as I would not expect the Saloon prices to increase given they were only announced last week. Comparing the Saloon prices to the 3 door A3 is not a fair comparison I don't think.

  19. #18
    Vertigo1's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmcl View Post
    Personally I don't see the point myself, if you want a saloon get an A4.
    The A4 is horrid though. It looks far worse than the A3 Saloon, the technology inside is older and if the pedals were any more offset they'd be outside the car!

    On top of that the A4 is the most ubiquitous Audi of them all - they're absolutely everywhere and common as muck.
    hittchy and davc like this.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

  20. #19
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Blairgowrie, Perthshire
    Posts
    19
    Agreed its a rip off - and I haven't looked at the specs yet, but no doubt a lot will be optional as per the Audi norm - reckon on nearly £30k to get a decent engine and a reasonable amount of kit. Sorry, but then you are into A6 money at that!

  21. #20
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidAssistant View Post
    Sorry, but then you are into A6 money at that!
    Albeit in 'poverty spec'.

    Apples and pears - not comparing like for like.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro


  22. #21
    I have priced up an A3 Sportback SE 2.0TDI s-tronic with all the options I would go for and it works out at £28,040. The same spec in the A3 Saloon is not yet available but a 2.0 TDI Sport allowing £1440 for the s-tronic would put the Saloon at £29,240. That is £1200 more than the Sportback but as there is a price increase due on the A3 range which I assume will not include the new Saloon that will bring them closer together. I would also expect to get around the same 9-10% discount I been given on my other recent A3s reducing the price by around £2500-3000. Not cheap but acceptable.

    I am going on holiday tomorrow down to Dorset and on the way home I will be calling in to an Audi event just off the M25 where they will be having a German spec A3 Saloon so it will interesting to see one in the flesh.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  23. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidAssistant View Post
    Agreed its a rip off - and I haven't looked at the specs yet, but no doubt a lot will be optional as per the Audi norm - reckon on nearly £30k to get a decent engine and a reasonable amount of kit. Sorry, but then you are into A6 money at that!
    If you think it's a rip-off go and visit your local Seat or Skoda dealer. I'm sure they will have cheaper cars available. Audi's have never been a cheap option, but they are good cars and do hold their value well which is the reason I am currently on my 8th A3.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  24. #23
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post

    I am going on holiday tomorrow down to Dorset and on the way home I will be calling in to an Audi event just off the M25 where they will be having a German spec A3 Saloon so it will interesting to see one in the flesh.
    Could you let me in on what dealer and date? Might be close to me and worth a look
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  25. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Could you let me in on what dealer and date? Might be close to me and worth a look
    Yes it is close to you. It being held by the M25 Audi Group at The Grove Hotel in Chandlers Cross. Give one of the M25 Audi Group dealers a ring and book you place. The will also have all sorts of other Audi's there to see and drive. I will be there on Saturday afternoon.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  26. #25
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Yes it is close to you. It being held by the M25 Audi Group at The Grove Hotel in Chandlers Cross. Give one of the M25 Audi Group dealers a ring and book you place. The will also have all sorts of other Audi's there to see and drive. I will be there on Saturday afternoon.
    Thanks for the detail, was hoping it was Saturday week, I doubt I can make it for this Saturday as my son is playing cricket the other end of Hertfordshire (old enough to play senior cricket but not old enough to get himself there yet!!!)
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  27. #26
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Blairgowrie, Perthshire
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    If you think it's a rip-off go and visit your local Seat or Skoda dealer. I'm sure they will have cheaper cars available. Audi's have never been a cheap option, but they are good cars and do hold their value well which is the reason I am currently on my 8th A3.
    Wasn't my point - my point was it nudges the price of larger Audis such as the A4 and A6. Why does it justify such a huge premium over the hatchback is the crux of this thread I believe. Charging a premium for a saloon over a hatchback is not unusual - Ford were doing it 30 years ago with the Orion over the Escort after all, but the degree to which Audi are doing it here is taking the proverbial IMHO.

  28. #27
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidAssistant View Post
    Wasn't my point - my point was it nudges the price of larger Audis such as the A4 and A6. Why does it justify such a huge premium over the hatchback is the crux of this thread I believe. Charging a premium for a saloon over a hatchback is not unusual - Ford were doing it 30 years ago with the Orion over the Escort after all, but the degree to which Audi are doing it here is taking the proverbial IMHO.
    Whether you could correlate the metal to size ratio is another question but the principle is

    It's bigger therefore more metal and more space inside therefore more expensive QED
    Rhymesaka likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  29. #28
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    59

    A3 Saloon Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by RapidAssistant View Post
    Wasn't my point - my point was it nudges the price of larger Audis such as the A4 and A6. Why does it justify such a huge premium over the hatchback is the crux of this thread I believe. Charging a premium for a saloon over a hatchback is not unusual - Ford were doing it 30 years ago with the Orion over the Escort after all, but the degree to which Audi are doing it here is taking the proverbial IMHO.
    How did you calculate the huge premium over the Sportback because as I have already posted after the price increase on 1st July, the difference is only £550 which to me is perfectly acceptable. Eg. the Sportback S Line 2.0 diesel manual will be £25,875 from Monday, the same in saloon is £26,425, difference £550. Comparing to an A4 the 2.0 diesel manual S Line is £29,510 which is over £3,000 more, why is the A3 saloon not good value then? I accept there will be bigger discounts available on an A4 but it is an old model and will soon be replaced.

  30. #29
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    93
    Have to admit my local dealer can't get close on the price of similarly specced Sportback/Saloon was really hoping to order the 1.4TFSI S Line S tronic Saloon but its working out over £100 more a month to a higher spec Sportback S Line, as much as I love the look of it there's no convincing my wife that the Saloon is the way to go :-(

  31. #30
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    59
    The list price of the Sportback and the saloon should only differ by the £550 premium on the saloon regardless of being Sport or S-Line or the options specified as the standard equipment and options are the same for the Sportback and Saloon. Where the price may vary is on the price after discount as there is more available on a Sportback because it has been out a few months longer. A week ago Drive the Deal was only offering £1,000 off a saloon but £2,200 off a Sportback.
    A3 Saloon 1.4 TFSi COD S Line S Tronic in Ice Silver with Comfort Pack, Nappa Leather, Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Pack, Sat Nav SD Card, Tyre Pressure Monitor.

  32. #31
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadstraik View Post
    The list price of the Sportback and the saloon should only differ by the £550 premium on the saloon regardless of being Sport or S-Line or the options specified as the standard equipment and options are the same for the Sportback and Saloon. Where the price may vary is on the price after discount as there is more available on a Sportback because it has been out a few months longer. A week ago Drive the Deal was only offering £1,000 off a saloon but £2,200 off a Sportback.
    That's why there is such a differential Broadstraik, it may prudent for me to wait a little longer as once the model is on the road over here it hopefully will be a little more flexible on price, the only caveat being that A3 Saloons are predominantly geared for the US & China markets therefore allocation here may be limited & in turn prices may be less flexible?

  33. #32
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    59
    I think there may be a bit more discount available on a saloon if you were to wait a few months but your right, the saloon will probably not sell in such big numbers in the UK so might never reach the discount levels available on a Sportback. Like you I like the look of the saloon and have always had saloons since the early 90's but would have ordered the Sportback had the Saloon not come out .
    A3 Saloon 1.4 TFSi COD S Line S Tronic in Ice Silver with Comfort Pack, Nappa Leather, Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Pack, Sat Nav SD Card, Tyre Pressure Monitor.

  34. #33
    With the July price increase on the Sportback, the spec I would order is now £751 more for the Saloon than the Sportback.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  35. #34
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    With the July price increase on the Sportback, the spec I would order is now £751 more for the Saloon than the Sportback.
    The specification and the options available on the Sportback and Saloon are the same and the difference in price after the July price increase is £550 between the models.
    A3 Saloon 1.4 TFSi COD S Line S Tronic in Ice Silver with Comfort Pack, Nappa Leather, Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Pack, Sat Nav SD Card, Tyre Pressure Monitor.

  36. #35
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    93
    Having to hold fire on ordering the Saloon as all my local dealers in Sussex are unable to give any discount whereras the Sportback I'm getting close to a £3000 incentive towards it therefore its putting the Saloon off the radar presently, one dealer did recommend waiting for the full launch before commiting to a purchase in the hope that there will be dealer incentives on offer, tempted to spec up a Sportback instead just love the look of the Saloon, would have a look at it at Goodwood if it wasn't for the 8 mile tailbacks going in :-(

  37. #36
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by paul8852 View Post
    my local dealers in Sussex are unable to give any discount whereras the Sportback I'm getting close to a £3000 incentive towards it therefore its putting the Saloon off the radar presently:-(
    if you don't mind me asking which dealer offers discount and on what spec as I am in Sussex and ordering soon. Thanks

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. With the head off, how much labour to fit con rods? S3 8L
    By jackpilk in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th March 2012, 16:39
  2. Thanks for the support heres how much we raised.
    By ianhg in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30th December 2005, 16:33
  3. How much lower is the S3 than the A3?
    By Drysdale in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd January 2005, 22:45
  4. how much is the s3 spoiler from Audi?
    By MickA3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12th November 2004, 08:34
  5. How much does the heat affect BHP??
    By Drystone in forum Other Brands & Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25th April 2003, 19:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO