Running In ?

First Ever Audi

Reaction score
Balmedie(next to Donald Trump's Controversial Golf
As I've not been in a position of having a new car before, and I've had quite a few ! Is there such a thing as running in the engine? I'm sure i read somewhere that you need to keep below a certain RPM for the first 1500 miles...just to let everything settle.....

I perhaps wrongly thought that the engines would have been bench run for a while?

Comments appreciated

That used to be the case. Dealer advised me that all engines are run in at the factory now so no need to be as careful.

The engine will still drink a bit of oil in the first few thousand miles (they should have given you a 1 litre top up bottle), so keep an eye on it. Mine used about 500ml but has now stopped drinking it.

Personally I didn't drive heavy footed until after a thousand miles had passed. And I still drive carefully until the engine has warmed up :)

Reactions: First Ever Audi
I was told your good to go and fingers crossed that's true lol!

Yeah I let the engine warm up but then it's just too tempting to not put the foot down and wow she corners very well!!

All above is true but keep off the rev limiter, mine is usually nailed after 1/2 mile that's the time it takes to get to the tared road

Reactions: First Ever Audi and Ruthus_1
It's not as important with a modern engine, but I would still keep it easy for the first 1000 miles or so, and no towing (if you have a towbar). You are supposed to use a whole range of revs when running in really, not just keep it gentle, but start gentle and build up slowly. But like I said, it's not important these days.

As long as you don't go berserk all will be well,you need to let the brakes, suspension etc bed in but as for the engine it should be ok.

Mark

Reactions: First Ever Audi and RossR
As mark says, other parts need a little time to bed in.

Good & consistent advice provided already on this thread.

Be gentle when engine cold.

Don't thrash it for first ~1000 miles or labour the engine but also vary revs & engine loading.

Do keep any eye on the oil for first few months.

...and enjoy!

Reactions: markwiggy and First Ever Audi
Having spent last year picking my fiance up from work, which was next to the docks of the Tyne where new Audis were dropped off I'd say your car has already been raped within an inch of its life before you got your hands on it. Seriously, the idiots that drove them off the ship and to the car park to be picked up on a transporter would nail them then jog back to get another car. I've heard stories of them being rolled, shame it never reached the newspapers.

Reactions: dick wad and First Ever Audi
Having spent last year picking my fiance up from work, which was next to the docks of the Tyne where new Audis were dropped off I'd say your car has already been raped within an inch of its life before you got your hands on it. Seriously, the idiots that drove them off the ship and to the car park to be picked up on a transporter would nail them then jog back to get another car. I've heard stories of them being rolled, shame it never reached the newspapers.

yes I've seen clips of these plonkers and the way they drive....I also see it when the guys fuel them in the morning at a garage near me before the customer picks them up...i'm sure they wear leaded boots!

At least with s-tronic they cant wreck it too much :)