Roof bars and roof box

Jenks108

Reaction score
Hi,

My a3 sb is arriving on Saturday and as I am off to France for a fortnight camping I better get me a roof box. I've specced roof rails on the car and was wondering if any of you can recommend roof bars and box. I'm not looking to spend a huge amount, will be happy with a 350ish litre box but was hoping the whole system is as quiet as possible at motorway speeds. Ive seen some low Thule bars which I quite liked. Any advice much appreciated.

I had the genuine Audi roof bars when I had my A4 Avant.

They were very quick and easy to fit and remove.

Unfortunately, despite my A3 SB having roof rails, the A4 roof bars will not fit the A3.....clever marketing / design by Audi!!

I think the Audi roof bars are cheaper than the various Thule bars, feet etc.

I will eventually get the Audi roof bars for my A3 and a new box as my 25 year old box has finally given up!

I am looking to get some bars for mine which has roof rails. Thule seem to spec most cars of this type with the 761 bars and the same 753 feet. If you can get these off EBay, you can just buy the fitting kit (that's the theory). Halfords do a range however I cannot totally confirm the parts as their site doesn't recognise my registration yet. The ones from Audi look pretty pricey. If you do find a cheap version, let me know as once I sell my Vauxhall bars from the old car I will get some.

I've got the Thule bars (753 feet, 891 slide bars, 591 cycle carrier, 4035 fitting kit), it was fitted to my impreza wrx before and all I had to do swap the old fitting kit for the 4035 for £35.
I was reluctant to buy the Thule bars initially because they were more expensive than the genuine Subaru kit but now they're on their second vehicle they have paid for themselves (and the Thule parts are easier to sell on afterwards on ebay if needed). As SimonlG10 said, if you can get the bars and feet on ebay then all you need to do is buy the fitting kit new and away you go but be careful as its actually cheaper to buy some of the parts new if you shop around as they make good money on ebay...sometimes more than new parts once postage is taken into account.
You'll be very happy with your Thule kit once you have it but it can be an investment to get your first setup.

Rich

ps if anyone wants a fitting kit for a 2008 wrx then you can have it free for the cost of postage.....

I think that was where i got my fitting kit from. The slide bar are much more expensive (and do rattle about a little) but it does mean that you don't have to stretch over the car to put your bike on the carrier.

I'd post a picture but the bars are off the car at the moment waiting for the dealership to fit the aluminium coloured rails I'd originally ordered rather than the black rails that Audi decided to fit...seriously, black rails on a silver car ? No idea how the mix up happened but it says aluminium rails on my receipt....

Quick update on bars. I have managed to get all the parts together via EBay on online. However, just got 2 sets of 761 bars from a guy in Kent for £35 who stocks loads of used Thule kit. He is on EBay under 10bunnybuy. Close to Brands Hatch/blue water. Worth trying him as he has loads of the 753 foot packs and the cheaper higher ones. The 4035 kit you have to get new though.

This is the set I'm drawn to:

Thule

Quite like the idea of it being all in and low fitting. Also they don't jut out at the ends and looks quite neat. Anyone have any experience of these?

Edit: don't think the above link works.... The wingbar edge 9595.

Maybe it's just me but I can't see the point of aero type bars unless you drive a lot with nothing on them. If you have bikes, wood etc on there that screws with the aerodynamics and may as well buy the cheap steel ones. The aero bars are also tricky to mount non-Thule bike racks due to the width.