Auto kerb dip

JossyB

Reaction score
I've got the folding mirror option on my car - any idea how the kerb dip works when reversing ?.

Last edited:
Depends. Do you have the folding/dimming/dipping mirrors option or just the folding option?

Ross, I have the folding option only but the brochure said that it included kerb dip on reverse ?

You only need the basic folding mirrors to get the dipping according to the configurator.

I would assume you put it into reverse and adjust to suit, then it'll go back to that position when reversing again - that's how I've seen other cars work

Just checked the latest brochure and you're right. I could swear it didn't used to be like that.

I think you need to leave the adjustment switch set to the passenger side. You might also need to teach it the position it should go to, but I don't know how. It should all be in the manual.

Found this on a forum, it's about the Golf though, but I expect it'd be the same. It does seem you have to move the adjuster to the L side to activate it.

OK, had the same issue with my new Estate. You have to set up the default positions. I went to 2 dealers before one of their mechanics found out how to do it - it's not in the handbook! Here's how:

1: With the ignition on and the car in neutral, adjust both mirrors for the 'normal ' driving position.

2: Check the 'mirror down' function on the conmputer is selected 'on'.

3: Engine off, ignition on, car in reverse, move the mirror swith to 'L' and adjust the mirror so you can see the kerb;

4: Still in reverse, turn the ignition off - this stores the 'dipped position.

5 Select neutral;

Job done. Now when you have the ignition on and select reverse with the mirror switch in 'L' position, or select 'L' when in reverse, the mrror will dip to the stored position. When you take it out of reverse, it stays dipped, and only returns to 'normal' when going forwards at walking pace.

Good luck trying the above - it's not obvious is it?

One other detail - I believe it remembers a different position for each key. Don't quote me on that though.

It does seem you have to move the adjuster to the L side to activate it.
That's how it works on my A3 and I have only the folding mirrors.

Didn't know about the part that you can change the position. I have to try it. Although I don't really use the auto dip that much because I want my buttons to be in certain position and I don't bother always switching the adjuster to "L" :) (And of course I move the adjuster to "R" because my steering wheel is left hand side)