Volks AutosSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brodster

Thread: AutoGlym LifeShine protection

Neutral

Status

AutoGlym LifeShine protection

Hi All,

I had this option added. Or this is what it is called on my invoice, but it is basically some sort of coating to the paint and interior that adds extra shine and gives me some sort of guarantee on the paint work not fading etc.
    When the dealer suggested it, it sounded really good, but since I have been researching cleaning products to buy, it seems to have some poor reviews. I don't know if the autoglm on my invoice is what the dealer was talking about, because it was called something else, but pretty sure it must be.
    Some forums say it is not even a permanent shine and that the kit you get with it you must re do it a few months after.
    DOes anybody have this or know what I am talking about?
    Also, my build week is week 28, is it to late to remove this option?
    Last edited by brad9753; 14th June 2013 at 16:28.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I believe you're referring to the AutoGlym LifeShine protection. Dealers seem to be selling it for anythign up to £400, but in some cases chucking it in for free (Depending on your negotiation skills!).

I think it is excellent, but certainly wouldn't have paid more than a few hundred for it. You get a cleaning kit with it that contains around £100 worth of product.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Most people I've spoken to think its crap, some detailers also spoken with, think you should spend the money on a good detail &/or detailing/maintenance products, without a personal agenda, as they've been friends of mine.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    So will it last the whole 3 years? And thats right the AutoGlym LifeShine protection. On my invoice its just "autoglym". £166 isn not inc VAT.

Not sure if I should take it off or not...

Neutral

Status
    If its not to late to take it off that is..

Neutral

Status
    And it was thrown in for "free", but if I take it off it will still decrease my monthly payments.

5th Gear

Status
    You'd have to check with them, if they've said it was 'free' but it's listed on the invoice then technically, yes, it should reduce the amount you pay.

Mine was chucked in, and it didn't appear on the invoice.
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    He reduced the amount of the car by the same amount, and added it on (with asset protection). It does appear on my invoice as an amount though yes.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    For £400 you can yourself an amazing detail and have your paint glass coated using 22PLE or Gtechniq and its guaranteed to last for up to 18 months.
    NHN likes this.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

Neutral

Status
    Just put those into google...... 22PLE VX1 Pro Signature Glass Coat | 22PLE Car Care & Detailing Products

So that could do a similar thing to what they are providing me? Is this the stuff that lasts 18 months?

Third Gear

Status
    Don't bother, as previous spend the money on some decent products. Lifeshine kits can be bought on eBay for about £30

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Neutral

Status
    Yea, I saw those kits on ebay. So those you can buy are just doing the same thing? So you are paying for the labour basically? If I buy one of the autoglym kits, I pretty much get the same result?

Third Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by brad9753 View Post
    Yea, I saw those kits on ebay. So those you can buy are just doing the same thing? So you are paying for the labour basically? If I buy one of the autoglym kits, I pretty much get the same result?
    yes they are the same and you would get the same result. Have a read of Polished Bliss links in the detailing section, they offer great advice and recommend the best products for particular colours.

Mark
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

2nd Gear

Status
    You also get a guarantee if you have it done officially. Some would say the guarantee is worthless though.

Third Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by brad9753 View Post
    So will it last the whole 3 years? And thats right the AutoGlym LifeShine protection. On my invoice its just "autoglym". £166 isn not inc VAT.

Not sure if I should take it off or not...
    there is no way it lasts for 3 years, 3-6 months max.

Mark

Reverse Gear

Status
    I had the life shine on my scirocco from new, was really disappointed, think i managed to strip the protection first time i washed it or it was never applied, got the car detailed shortly after i got it, detailer maintained there was no protection on car. Not worth the money give the money to a detailer or spend it on cleaning products.
    Ordered 8th May, build week 29, A3 SB S Line 2.0 Tdi s-tronic Daytona Grey, Comfort pack, Adv key, Parking +, Privacy glass, SE suspension, no smoking, Folding mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    I bought one off Ebay for £5, carn't really say its helped the exterior as I have waxed it now and use a quick detailer regularily as for the interior I haven't split anything on the cloth so dont know if it acts as a barrier to the spillage either

1st Gear

Status
    Have it for free but don't pay for it!
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

Neutral

Status
    My wife has it on her Skoda Fabia and it still has a good shine after 5 months. That said, I'm on it every week or so with Auto Glym Shampoo Conditioner. We got Lifeshine to give the interior some protection as it's light cloth - seems to work on that.

Good bag of products supplied with it too. Cost £250.

I've never bothered with it on any of my cars. I'd rather potter on myself.

5th Gear

Status
    I buy the used kits from a local VW dealer for £5 , some have all the products in never been used some have been opened. Luck of the draw if the dealer has actually used it on your car.

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    I've only had lifeshine once (free when a Civic Type R was delivered late as part of the dealers sorry package) and I have to say I think it's worthless, it's an add on like the overpriced gap insurance and makes the dealer plenty of money.

You'd be better off buying the Autoglym products (which having tried more expensive stuff I still think are good) and polishing the car yourself imo. But if you have the £400 to spare (or don't like polishing!) then the pro detailers really are worth the money I've seen a few TTs and RS3s that have been detailed and they look amazing, your jaw will drop. I know where I'd spend my money!

Neutral

Status
    When you say gap insurence, do you mean the asset protection? ...I have that to

Have taken off the AutoGlym option now though!

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Yep asset protection - get a few quotes from elsewhere and ask them to match the prices. These are all the big add on options for dealers, you can do better.

Neutral

Status
    It has officially been removed from my quote :D Saved me £6 a month- every little helps!

Now to get the asset protection removed! May wait for a later date to do that..

2nd Gear

Status
    I was offered lifeshine for £199. I'm getting a local detailer to prep the car and apply Gtechniq total surface protection to paint, wheels, glass and interior for £295. Should be much better for only £96 more.

2nd Gear

Status
    It does seem to vary between dealers, my dad had it thrown in with his vw tiguan for £100. His had the car nearly 18 months, its black, and I've cleaned it once or twice and it's the easiest black car I've ever cleaned!!!, dirt just falls off, and finish afterwards with no effort is very good!!

that along with the bag of products you get , and the interior stain guarantee, I'd possibly have it! If price was right, and I knew it had been completed properly
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah, I didn't ask for it and it was never mentioned or stated in the paperwork, so it was 'thrown in' for good will at the end. I'd definitely say it's worth something, but I saw a quote from a dealer yesterday that had stuck it on the PCP quote and it was listed at £400.... that's crazy. The bag of products you get is worth ~£100, and then it's down to you to decide what you think the protection is worth on top of that. I'm pleased with the results on mine and as number3 says, it's so easy to clean