Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JossyB

Thread: First stone chips !

Neutral

Status

First stone chips !

Well folks, got 250 miles on the clock and already got 1 stone chip on the bonnet and 1 on the front bumper. I wouldn't care but I always leave about a 2 car gap. Modern paint just can't hack it. Time to order a Daytona touch up stick !.

Anyone else got any yet ?.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I've got 2 stone chips on the bonnet, each looks like a 'pin head'.

I've been really careful with the car since delivery, & like you, I always keep well back from the car in front, but it seems inevitable...

Neutral

Status
    Yeah, same here on the bonnet just small (primer visible) but the bumper one looks like a scratch/graze.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JossyB View Post

Anyone else got any yet ?.
    Yep. Plenty.

Bought the touch up at same time as the car. I'm not so sure it makes a great deal of difference leaving huge gaps these days - I seem to get hit by cars travelling in the opposite direction just as much.

Just waiting now for my local council to start re-surfacing the roads here by pouring tons of chippings over hot bitumen.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hittchy View Post
    Yep. Plenty.

Bought the touch up at same time as the car. I'm not so sure it makes a great deal of difference leaving huge gaps these days - I seem to get hit by cars travelling in the opposite direction just as much.

Just waiting now for my local council to start re-surfacing the roads here by pouring tons of chippings over hot bitumen.

Did the touch up pen do the job? If so what one was it, audi branded or other and what does it cost, might have to add one to my list if finishing touches.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Neutral

Status
    Just ordered one from my Audi main dealer - £8.30. You get the paint and lacquer. Touched a couple in on my wife's car and it takes your eye away from the yellow/cream primer underneath that's all. I use a very fine artist's brush with minimal amounts of paint on - a couple of applications usually does it. I never bother with the lacquer as its thicker and less easy to manage.
    Daveotto likes this.

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Ventureshield or 3M paint shield (for a few more £££) is well worth a look if you want to keep your cars looking perfect. Yes you need to take a bit more care polishing around the edges of the film but you won't get any stone chips. I'm also told the latest versions of paint protection film have 'healing properties' so when you do get a chip in the shield (the paint will be fine). I used Ventureshield on my S2000 track car and there were, impressively, no stone chips on the protected areas.

1st Gear

Status
    I leave a2 car gap then some moron has to jump from the middle lane into the gap sometimes without even signalling.

Third Gear

Status
    Some cars seem more prone than others, no chips on mine yet, oh I haven't got it yet. Lol My last car was a RR Evoque and not one chip in 12 months of ownership.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.