Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Daveotto
  • 1 Post By A3sportbackMark

Thread: SB S-Line: Should of kept with the standard sport set up

Reverse Gear

Status

SB S-Line: Should of kept with the standard sport set up

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my new A3 SB 2.0TDI S-line and one of the options I selected was to de-select the sport suspension, as I'm coming from a 12 plate Audi A6 S-line which I found was quite a firm ride, I thought the softer set up would be better. However, since joining this forum and reading the various posts on the subject, I had concerns regarding the height of the car and looking too 'jacked' up but I joined the forum quite late in the ordering process and it was too late to change it and I thought 15mm surely wouldn't make too much difference.

My fears have just been realised as in my opinion, the car does indeed sit to high and it makes the wheels look smaller.

Bit gutted in all honesty but there isn't much I can do about it now and will just have to live with it : (

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're not happy with your ride height. I believe the difference between SE and Sport is 10mm, and the difference between Sport and S-Line is a further 15mm. So the overall difference between SE and S-line is 25mm. Did you get a chance to see a SB on SE suspension before you ordered?
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Could you not just order the alternate springs from Audi?

I know its a costly mistake though.
    2010 TT RS - Sepang Blue - MRC 420BHP, 600NM

2010 Stage 2+ S-Tronic S3 BE SB in Ibis White!! ....... SOLD

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're not happy with your ride height. I believe the difference between SE and Sport is 10mm, and the difference between Sport and S-Line is a further 15mm. So the overall difference between SE and S-line is 25mm. Did you get a chance to see a SB on SE suspension before you ordered?
    Other way around isn't it? I thought Sport was 15mm lower and S-Line 25mm
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    Yep, sorry - you're quite right, just checked the brochures. 15mm for Sport, S-line 25mm. Still 25mm over all but the biggest difference is between SE and sport.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    Yeh. Personally I'm not bothered about how high (or not) the car looks - comfort is my main issue, and from what everyone else with SE says (not to mention just about every review) there is no problem or issue with the handling in SE either. I'm unsure what setup the one I test drove had (it was back in September only about 3 days after the launch of the car anyway) - I *think* it was sport, but really don't know. Certainly it was sport trim. It seemed confortable enough, but then it was on some nice roads as well.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm the same as cemerson. My priority is what it's like to be in the car. External appearance matters but is secondary.

You could always carry a few bags of cement around with you to compress the springs.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've just took her for a quick spin and even in comfort mode, I would still say the ride was quite firm and this echoes what the delivery guy from Listers who dropped it off mentioned, as he said he had driven a lot of Audi's over the years and had noticed that recently, even the SE cars had quite a firm ride compared with older models.

Stupidly, I didn't bother with a test drive.

Ha ha good shout on the bags of cement but it's the front end where I think you notice it more.

Reverse Gear

Status
    One plus comment I have is with regards the Audi Sound system which I think is fantastic. I play a lot of dance, house music and I've just stuck on a few tracks and the sound quality is great.

Overall first impressions of the car are A+, I've gone for the Daytona grey as I went for Black on my previous Audi as I've always thought that Black really suits Audi's but I think the Daytona Grey, even on a rainy day like today beats it hands down.

1st Gear

Status
    Told you so lol. S line sus all the way. The ride is great
    1.4 TFSI 122ps A3 SportBack. Comfort pack, Audi sound system, Daytona grey, SD Sat Nav, S line trim. Love it!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ive had mine 2 days now and mine is S-line 2.0tdi with SE suspension. I really like the ride and covered 350 miles yesterday in far more comfort than the Insignia SRi. This may well have something to do with the seats as well. 55mpg as well....
    Doesnt appear jacked up to me.

I also like the Audi sound system. The sub-woofer in the spare wheel works really well and reminds me of the Bose ststem I had in a mazda 6.

6th Gear

Status
    I think it is Bose isn't it? Just unbranded so that Audi can push B&O instead

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by boygenious72 View Post
    Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my new A3 SB 2.0TDI S-line and one of the options I selected was to de-select the sport suspension, as I'm coming from a 12 plate Audi A6 S-line which I found was quite a firm ride, I thought the softer set up would be better. However, since joining this forum and reading the various posts on the subject, I had concerns regarding the height of the car and looking too 'jacked' up but I joined the forum quite late in the ordering process and it was too late to change it and I thought 15mm surely wouldn't make too much difference.

My fears have just been realised as in my opinion, the car does indeed sit to high and it makes the wheels look smaller.

Bit gutted in all honesty but there isn't much I can do about it now and will just have to live with it : (
    If your spec is same as mine except for the suspension we could consider a swap of so i could get my earlier....for a small fee of course to take account of fact i would now be second owner :-)
    mjcourtney likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    If your spec is same as mine except for the suspension we could consider a swap of so i could get my earlier....for a small fee of course to take account of fact i would now be second owner :-)
    Ahhh, Dave, is this your cunning plan to get an early delivery, I like it!!!
    Daveotto likes this.
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

Reverse Gear

Status
    It's all subjective I suppose Simon but I've come from S-line and M Sport cars previously which have all sat very low which is why I think it probably looks worse than it is.

I'm not sure if it's Bose, the cover to the sub is branded D&M Premium sound solutions but that could just be who made the housing around the sub.

Nice try Dave but it's a company car and so no can do I'm afraid. Have you long to wait? I ordered mine on the 14th March and so I think my wait has been the standard 12 weeks I was quoted.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by boygenious72 View Post
    It's all subjective I suppose Simon but I've come from S-line and M Sport cars previously which have all sat very low which is why I think it probably looks worse than it is.

I'm not sure if it's Bose, the cover to the sub is branded D&M Premium sound solutions but that could just be who made the housing around the sub.

Nice try Dave but it's a company car and so no can do I'm afraid. Have you long to wait? I ordered mine on the 14th March and so I think my wait has been the standard 12 weeks I was quoted.

Grrrrrr..... Ordered 11th March and could take delivery mid August but going to wait for new plates on 1st September. You have done really well with delivery 12 weeks is several weeks below par.....what was the rest of your spec.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I thought the 12 weeks was average, seems I was pretty lucky then.

Bog standard spec, only thing I added was the Audi speaker upgrade.

Neutral

Status

Reverse Gear

Status
    That makes sense as the sound quality is awesome, best £255 I've spent in a while anyway