SB S-Line: Should of kept with the standard sport set up

boygenious72

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my new A3 SB 2.0TDI S-line and one of the options I selected was to de-select the sport suspension, as I'm coming from a 12 plate Audi A6 S-line which I found was quite a firm ride, I thought the softer set up would be better. However, since joining this forum and reading the various posts on the subject, I had concerns regarding the height of the car and looking too 'jacked' up but I joined the forum quite late in the ordering process and it was too late to change it and I thought 15mm surely wouldn't make too much difference.

My fears have just been realised as in my opinion, the car does indeed sit to high and it makes the wheels look smaller.

Bit gutted in all honesty but there isn't much I can do about it now and will just have to live with it : (

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're not happy with your ride height. I believe the difference between SE and Sport is 10mm, and the difference between Sport and S-Line is a further 15mm. So the overall difference between SE and S-line is 25mm. Did you get a chance to see a SB on SE suspension before you ordered?

Could you not just order the alternate springs from Audi? :)

I know its a costly mistake though.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're not happy with your ride height. I believe the difference between SE and Sport is 10mm, and the difference between Sport and S-Line is a further 15mm. So the overall difference between SE and S-line is 25mm. Did you get a chance to see a SB on SE suspension before you ordered?

Other way around isn't it? I thought Sport was 15mm lower and S-Line 25mm

Yep, sorry - you're quite right, just checked the brochures. 15mm for Sport, S-line 25mm. Still 25mm over all but the biggest difference is between SE and sport.

Yeh. Personally I'm not bothered about how high (or not) the car looks - comfort is my main issue, and from what everyone else with SE says (not to mention just about every review) there is no problem or issue with the handling in SE either. I'm unsure what setup the one I test drove had (it was back in September only about 3 days after the launch of the car anyway) - I *think* it was sport, but really don't know. Certainly it was sport trim. It seemed confortable enough, but then it was on some nice roads as well.

I'm the same as cemerson. My priority is what it's like to be in the car. External appearance matters but is secondary.

You could always carry a few bags of cement around with you to compress the springs. :undwech:

I've just took her for a quick spin and even in comfort mode, I would still say the ride was quite firm and this echoes what the delivery guy from Listers who dropped it off mentioned, as he said he had driven a lot of Audi's over the years and had noticed that recently, even the SE cars had quite a firm ride compared with older models.

Stupidly, I didn't bother with a test drive.

Ha ha good shout on the bags of cement but it's the front end where I think you notice it more.

One plus comment I have is with regards the Audi Sound system which I think is fantastic. I play a lot of dance, house music and I've just stuck on a few tracks and the sound quality is great.

Overall first impressions of the car are A+, I've gone for the Daytona grey as I went for Black on my previous Audi as I've always thought that Black really suits Audi's but I think the Daytona Grey, even on a rainy day like today beats it hands down.

Ive had mine 2 days now and mine is S-line 2.0tdi with SE suspension. I really like the ride and covered 350 miles yesterday in far more comfort than the Insignia SRi. This may well have something to do with the seats as well. 55mpg as well....
Doesnt appear jacked up to me.

I also like the Audi sound system. The sub-woofer in the spare wheel works really well and reminds me of the Bose ststem I had in a mazda 6.

I think it is Bose isn't it? Just unbranded so that Audi can push B&O instead

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my new A3 SB 2.0TDI S-line and one of the options I selected was to de-select the sport suspension, as I'm coming from a 12 plate Audi A6 S-line which I found was quite a firm ride, I thought the softer set up would be better. However, since joining this forum and reading the various posts on the subject, I had concerns regarding the height of the car and looking too 'jacked' up but I joined the forum quite late in the ordering process and it was too late to change it and I thought 15mm surely wouldn't make too much difference.

My fears have just been realised as in my opinion, the car does indeed sit to high and it makes the wheels look smaller.

Bit gutted in all honesty but there isn't much I can do about it now and will just have to live with it : (

If your spec is same as mine except for the suspension we could consider a swap of so i could get my earlier....for a small fee of course to take account of fact i would now be second owner :)

Reactions: mjcourtney
If your spec is same as mine except for the suspension we could consider a swap of so i could get my earlier....for a small fee of course to take account of fact i would now be second owner :)

Ahhh, Dave, is this your cunning plan to get an early delivery, I like it!!!

Reactions: Daveotto
It's all subjective I suppose Simon but I've come from S-line and M Sport cars previously which have all sat very low which is why I think it probably looks worse than it is.

I'm not sure if it's Bose, the cover to the sub is branded D&M Premium sound solutions but that could just be who made the housing around the sub.

Nice try Dave but it's a company car and so no can do I'm afraid. Have you long to wait? I ordered mine on the 14th March and so I think my wait has been the standard 12 weeks I was quoted.

It's all subjective I suppose Simon but I've come from S-line and M Sport cars previously which have all sat very low which is why I think it probably looks worse than it is.

I'm not sure if it's Bose, the cover to the sub is branded D&M Premium sound solutions but that could just be who made the housing around the sub.

Nice try Dave but it's a company car and so no can do I'm afraid. Have you long to wait? I ordered mine on the 14th March and so I think my wait has been the standard 12 weeks I was quoted.

Grrrrrr..... Ordered 11th March and could take delivery mid August but going to wait for new plates on 1st September. You have done really well with delivery 12 weeks is several weeks below par.....what was the rest of your spec.

I thought the 12 weeks was average, seems I was pretty lucky then.

Bog standard spec, only thing I added was the Audi speaker upgrade.

That makes sense as the sound quality is awesome, best £255 I've spent in a while anyway :cool: