Badger5Volks Autos
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By A3sportbackMark
  • 1 Post By mjcourtney

Thread: MMI handwriting recognition

Reverse Gear

Status

MMI handwriting recognition

Hi, only got the Sportback today so trying to work out how everything works. On the 3 door demo I had, you could write the letters/numbers on the MMI pad (not great when you are right handed). I dont seem to have this function on my car (s-line). I am not that fussed but was a nice little gimmic. Should I ahve it or does it need activating??

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    It's a feature on the Tech pack only.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

Neutral

Status
    Do you have the tech package? This image of mine is what I use for the hand writing (the big black button) for the phone and sat nav and this is what was used in the demo car. photo(1).jpg
    New - Audi A3 13 plate, 2.0 TDI S-Line, Scuba Blue, Rear Sensors, Light & Rain package, Comfort package, Adaptive Headlights, Lane Assist, Bang & Olufsen Speakers, DAB, Folding mirrors, Int light package, Alcantara leather, S-Line suspension, Tech package, Variable headlight control, Phone box, Hold assist, Speed limit display

Old - Audi A3 2.0 TDI, S-Line. Aqua Blue, Bose, Rear Sensors, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Sat Nav Plus System.

4th Gear

Status
    Nice spec car you have there Chris. Havn't seen many Scuba Blue...
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

Neutral

Status
    God, I hope hand writing recognition isn't the future. With using computers for the last 10 years or so, my hand writing has gotton awful.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Reckon demo car had the Tech Pack which I dont have. I think I can live without it....

Neutral

Status
    It's a useful option if you have it, finding I use it more than the voice recognition.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3sportbackMark View Post
    Nice spec car you have there Chris. Havn't seen many Scuba Blue...
    I thought I'd stick with blue as the previous A3 was a lighter blue and liked the colour. I haven't seen any other blues either, more grays and whites passing me by.
    New - Audi A3 13 plate, 2.0 TDI S-Line, Scuba Blue, Rear Sensors, Light & Rain package, Comfort package, Adaptive Headlights, Lane Assist, Bang & Olufsen Speakers, DAB, Folding mirrors, Int light package, Alcantara leather, S-Line suspension, Tech package, Variable headlight control, Phone box, Hold assist, Speed limit display

Old - Audi A3 2.0 TDI, S-Line. Aqua Blue, Bose, Rear Sensors, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Sat Nav Plus System.

6th Gear

Status
    I'm glad I picked one of the less common colours it seems
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I'm glad I picked one of the less common colours it seems
    Me too! We should form a scuba blue club, as a rival to D****** Grey and A***** White. Lol
    cemerson likes this.
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

5th Gear

Status
    The handwriting option can be a little unreliable. Sometimes it only reads partial strokes as it seems to freeze, and I have to repeat the letter.

Seems to be better if I use firmer strokes. (Stop it, take your dirty mind elsewhere!)

I do prefer it to twiddling the knob (seriously, stop laughing) to enter the details for address / number etc.
    Quarz likes this.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    It's kind of handy for swiping through albums in the album browser if you don't use it for handwriting and also for moving about the sat nav map.
    Audi A3 S Line SB 2.0 TDI Daytona Grey | Fine Nappa Leather, Extended Interior Finish, Comfort Pack, f/h Door Mirrors, Black Roof Rails, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Electric & Heated Seat with Lumbar Support, Technology Pack.

5th Gear

Status
    Speaking of swiping through the albums....

It seems that this method doesn't actually present you with individual albums, it's a list of tracks displayed with their album artwork (in some sort of order... haven't worked out what yet). Does anyone know if you can change any settings to change it to swiping through albums? Because in its current form I don't use it, as it's just a slow way of searching through all the tracks....
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've not figured it out yet. I might try setting all my albums as compilations in iTunes to see if that does anything but the current setup in my car is like you - album browser is a list of tracks with artwork. Handwriting works well when searching for a track or album though rather than using the list scroll method.
    Audi A3 S Line SB 2.0 TDI Daytona Grey | Fine Nappa Leather, Extended Interior Finish, Comfort Pack, f/h Door Mirrors, Black Roof Rails, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Electric & Heated Seat with Lumbar Support, Technology Pack.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I was going to ask the same qusetion, all I get on the Iphone is a list of tracks in alphabetical order. Not sure how you can select an album to play.

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah i'm using an SD card, but have the same problem. Wouldn't really mind, except the option is clearly labelled 'Albums' in the MMI!

1st Gear

Status
    I think it's a great feature but being a right hooker really makes it a bit more difficult. Still better than the alternative.

Improved voice recognition will be the future. It's just not quite there yet.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    Yeah i'm using an SD card, but have the same problem. Wouldn't really mind, except the option is clearly labelled 'Albums' in the MMI!
    Sounds like it should be reported as a bug and fixed under warranty... I tend to just arrange my albums by folder naming on the SD card (or USB in my current car) and just navigate that way anyway
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack